The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drifting an auto

cooke

You'll get plenty of opportunity to swear long and hard when you get the bill for an auto box replacement :) Putting an auto box into *ANY* gear above engine idling speed in a stationary car is about the worst thing you can possibly do to one. It usually results in instant and catastrophic failure.

It's very easy to make a car "drift", any idiot can make a car have lousy traction. Making a car grip well in all weather conditions, and on a variety of road surfaces whilst maintining a decent ride quality and good tyre wear is somewhat cerebrally more challenging, in my humble opinion.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll get plenty of opportunity to swear long and hard when you get the bill for an auto box replacement :) Putting an auto box into *ANY* gear above engine idling speed in a stationary car is about the worst thing you can possibly do to one. It usually results in instant and catastrophic failure.

It's very easy to make a car "drift", any idiot can make a car have lousy traction. Making a car grip well in all weather conditions, and on a variety of road surfaces whilst maintining a decent ride quality and good tyre wear is somewhat cerebrally more challenging, in my humble opinion.

:love:

Ok so after two and a half minutes I got bored.

Question, bar the fact that drifting is more exciting, the only difference I can see is that its in a confined area and not as fast paced.

If there is more difference, please enlighten me as I am genuinely interested as I never heard of "diffing" before.

I admit there is a certain skill involved, but it does nothing at all for me, like drag racing. Judging drifting / diffing , in a competitive environment is too subjective, plus I can't see the point in burning the tyres off and torturing the engine and drivetrain with high load, very slow speed running, that must send temps sky high.

Love the responses some of you post sometimes :D

I found this video of someone drifting although like some of you I enjoy the odd twitch coming off a roundabout but don't really see the appeal of ruining tyres I cannot afford to replace..... The other reason I don't bother drifting is that I am most likely rubbish at it and don't want to risk my car/mine/passengers/others health or lives for a pointless manoeuvre, like said before find a airstrip or somewhere safe to practice before being "one of them" that causes a massive accident for being a berk in public.

Here is the video anyway.

this mite be a stupid question but what difference does the manu button make when the car is in L, i thought once in L the car can not come out of that gear, my thought on manu mode was that it keeps the car in one gear when in D unless it feels the need to change up or down if revs get to high or low that it has to

Edited by cooke (see edit history)

Just to clear a few things up about diffing, it's a mad craze that has been happening in Ireland for a long time with alot of corrolla twin cams sierras and bmws, it all started out at the rally's years ago when boy racers would basically mess about in the towns and villages that were hosting the rally's , it all came very illegal as they were wrecking the towns and police came down hard promting it to go to car parks and special shows ,now the corrolla twin cam is known as "twin cam brigade" as they all drive around these diffing events in massive convoys and all wait there turn to throw a few hoops,

I don't mind a wee bit off diffing around but it gets so boring

You can drift an auto supra but having big turbos and big balls is 100% needed as you don't have the same control, at the end of are local drag strip after I'm finished a run I go for a big drift by turning in fast, kicking down and letting the weight of the car take over , once it's out I tap the accelerator gently to try and keep the momentum going, it really isn't easy and I've ended up in a 180 degree spin or drifting towards the grass but everytime I do it I find myself smileing :)

yes you can drift a auto,but your problem could be the concrete as i cant do burn outs on it it just pushes the car forward but i can on tarmac so, get on some tarmac and give it another go,

add tyre preasure to the rears will always help with loss of grip

dont be a tool do it in a safe place not on public roads

Wouldnt bother drifting an auto supe as its propably going to ruin the autobox real quick.

Besides that drifting an automatic instead of a manual is like comming to a time attack with a dragrace car,

it does not make anny sence and will never work as u want it too.

Dont try to ruin a supe for someone elses pleasure, its never ever going to be worth it so try using your brain next time.

If you want a cheap drift car id suggest buying a miata 1.8 with LSD, they slide really well and are a great car to learn drifting in.

I have ony myself and only do drifting on closed roads or very late at night when no ones on the roads, never put someone elses life or wealth at risk

for your own pleasure, you propably know why yourself.

I hope you learned something from us altough were a bit harsh at times when needed.