The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drifting an auto

cooke

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to a show on sunday and thought id give the drifting and diffing a go as i fitted an lsd 2week ago, its a 93 3L na no mods, i went into drift and she would not go out for me it was like the grip was crazy the car was stuck to the concrete and it was wet, and dont no if it was the surface because i never had a problem putting it out on tarmac, anyway i sacked the drifting n went diffing and i no i can do this but the box for diffing in i could not get a we roll so i could put the power down and send her round so im trying like {SWEARING REMOVED} and it was not for happining, at this point i got about 100 people standing looking at me, so i put her in N reved her up banged her L and away she went

What im trying to ask but taking very long time to is whats the best way or how to drift And diff an auto na

I really have no idea what you've written here, but I've had a look at your profile and I see you've just been warned about the swearing and previously, the use of text speak.

Just do your best to write clearly without the sweary stuff and perhaps break up your sentences with the odd paragraph so it's easier on the eye. And you should be fine.

Lol had to show she could go round, i know it's sore on it but it was my only option, Ps grammar and spelling! Get off the post if you have nothing helpfull to add about the topic

Your other option was to drive off and not risk damaging the box. Yeah you would have looked like a tool (but hey, you did that here anyway) but you would not have knocked years of life off your auto box.

Thanks i will try, can i just add that i think you's take swearing a bit to serious, i dont mean to offend

If we allow too much swearing, google indexes it and this can lead to this site being blocked at some work places. There is a time and place for swearing, this place isnt it.

Get off the forum if you have nothing helpfull to add and looking back through your previous posts about insurance etc it would seem you dont.

People like you give the rest of us (and our cars) a bad reputation, if you insist on posting crap on here then expect some grief in return.

- - - Updated - - -

kleerly u dnt have leet skilz m8.

I is got mad skilz bruv, U dint no me, I iz da bom.

I feel ashamed.

You can drift an auto, buts its not easy. I had a go at Donuting / Drifting round the cone at suprapod when abz did in his N/A.

Its not easy, i have 2 turbo's to give a sudden surge of power to break traction, then to counter act the open dif i had to unbalance the car and hope. To keep it going you have to be able to balance the throttle. At the time of doing this my tyres were low on tread so this helped, and it was wet.

It's not easy to drift an auto. I have an auto and can hold a small angle around a corner, but like mentioned above, it's difficult.

A few options which you may consider (besides buying a manual). Practice at low speed with the car in L (Don't slam it in from N, otherwise your gearbox will end up on the floor). You can break torque the car from a stand still (I'm not going to explain here, but google it and you'll get a guide).

Oh, and remember to turn the traction control off obviously. The key to drifting is lots of power and torque with as little grip as possible. Also, maybe fit a set of scrubbed tyres to practice.

One last tip, don't insult people on the forum and you'll get more help and a "little" less abuse.

ive done a bit of pointless sliding (drifting ) in my time. the only auto i used was a 330i . the best way to drift iti found was to stay in low range. and unsettle the car on higher speed entries. by unsettle the car i mean to quickly flick the car the opposite way then turn in hard .. then obviosly moderate throttle . this method can easyily go horrible wrong if you are lacking in reflexes and car controll skills .. so keep it for an airfield drift day NOT an public road . and start searching for a new box and a cooler to go with the new box. the dr. out

dude, skidding an auto is a lot harder to learn then a manual (imo) my soarer is auto with a welded diff (no it doesn't try to kill me, rape my dog etc etc) and it skids really well in the wet for what it is, but in the dry i find fast bends dont really work as i'm used to being able to clutch kick.

keep it in L and use the weight of the car to swing it into the bend, and keep it nailed :)

what the hell is diffing???

....of course none of this should be practised on a public road

Edited by squiffy (see edit history)