The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fast and Furious Replica (Orange Supra) - Take 2

pbryant_knight

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here's a pic of the car as it is now. The most important reason i'm not happy is the colour. It needs to be darker. I got a few samples made first and looked at them in the graphics shop and it looked darker but when i got it into the light, they were lighter and the black was like a grey colour and stripey as theough the print heads were misaligned. The second reason i'm not happy is the helmet. That's my fault as the guy in Hong Kong who designed these used the model as a base as we couldn't get any really decent clear static shots from the movie, and give him his due, they are 99% accurate to the model. I'm in the process of re-designing the helmet with a friend to get it more screen accurate. Lastly, and the most important reason i'm not happy is the price the guy charged for the graphics. I got the last ones fitted by him and he charged £50. Since then we've became friends and he's done little bits and pieces at a resonable price. Because of this i didn't ask for a quote as i thought he wouldn't rip me off. I got charged £400 to cut and fit them. The less accurate ones i got off eBay US only cost £80 including postage amd the printing and cutting process would have been exactally the same. I just paid the bill and then stewed about it overnight getting more annoyed. got several other quotes from local Graphics places and the cheapest was £125 plus Vat from Hooper Signs so i feel well ripped off.

Peter

Ok here's a pic of the car as it is now. The most important reason i'm not happy is the colour. It needs to be darker. I got a few samples made first and looked at them in the graphics shop and it looked darker but when i got it into the light, they were lighter and the black was like a grey colour and stripey as theough the print heads were misaligned. The second reason i'm not happy is the helmet. That's my fault as the guy in Hong Kong who designed these used the model as a base as we couldn't get any really decent clear static shots from the movie, and give him his due, they are 99% accurate to the model. I'm in the process of re-designing the helmet with a friend to get it more screen accurate. Lastly, and the most important reason i'm not happy is the price the guy charged for the graphics. I got the last ones fitted by him and he charged £50. Since then we've became friends and he's done little bits and pieces at a resonable price. Because of this i didn't ask for a quote as i thought he wouldn't rip me off. I got charged £400 to cut and fit them. The less accurate ones i got off eBay US only cost £80 including postage amd the printing and cutting process would have been exactally the same. I just paid the bill and then stewed about it overnight getting more annoyed. got several other quotes from local Graphics places and the cheapest was £125 plus Vat from Hooper Signs so i feel well ripped off.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb430/pbryant_knight/New%20fast%20and%20Furious%20Supra/IMG_1460.jpg

Peter

Your car somewhat stands out a bit parked on your street.

I doubt that anyone will notice the difference - I know I wouldn't be able to even with a photo of the original in hand. Great job I say!!

(although I take letmeshowyou's point that if you're not entirely happy it will bug you :()

I think that looks brilliant, especially in that gloomy car park! You need to get a smaller number plate on the front dude. The law states the placement of the plate should not impede the performance or running of the vehicle and with no place to put the plate on the front without it restricting the running of the vehicle, I.e. The radiator for cooling (intercooler for you turbo boys) you can place a smaller plate to at least make an effort. I did a bit of digging on this and had a chat with some traffic mates and we came to the same conclusion. Depends if you get a div traffic officer mind with a different view.

I think that looks brilliant, especially in that gloomy car park! You need to get a smaller number plate on the front dude. The law states the placement of the plate should not impede the performance or running of the vehicle and with no place to put the plate on the front without it restricting the running of the vehicle, I.e. The radiator for cooling (intercooler for you turbo boys) you can place a smaller plate to at least make an effort. I did a bit of digging on this and had a chat with some traffic mates and we came to the same conclusion. Depends if you get a div traffic officer mind with a different view.

Thanks for the comments guys.

The number plate is the minimum legal sizing for lettering. I've already got the DVLA guidance and the police letters from when they tried to take me to court. I think i posted up the DVLA email a few year back with the lettering sizes that are within the Law. These are Import size plates. Any smaller and you're getting into motorcycle plates and they are not legal.

The police dropped the case when i finally said "ok then, Take me to court" lol.

I know i feel ripped off. REALLY ripped off. And because of that, i now have no money for an exhaust :(

I've been through the plate thing with both the DVLA, VOSA and the Police.

I've spent today modifying the graphics to a more screen accurate standard until i can get the design upgraded and cut.

Not perfect, but better than they were before.

Peter

I was traffic mate, you can dictate the legislation if needed, I have a copy of it printed off in my glove box.

I love the look of the car mate, I can't tell the difference between your graphics and the official car. Are you doing the interior too?

Guest jakon316

Hi Peter I'm new to this site don't own a Supra but I've always been a bit of a Fast and Furious addict and always been quite obsessed with the Supra from the 1st one! Anyway I had to sign up and comment because I've been following this thread this week and personally I actually think the graphics look very good! I've seen your original Supra and think this 1 looks much better the only bit of constructive criticism if you don't mind is see if you can aim for some more accurate alloys and remove the mesh on the front? That to me is where the main visual differences stand out for me from the original and not with the graphics. Great work though I hope if you ever sell it you make a nice profit for your work and if you do this for a 3rd time please buy an aerotop! Please keep us updated its a decent build you have done here!

Regards

Jace

See Jurgens for import plate sizes, did you get your exhaust ? 400 to put graphics on is stupid bud.

+1 As my friend got a numberplate for his NA the other day and it is just a single strip on the front bumper, Way smaller than what you have already and is the smallest legal size.