The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A better way to introduce myself?!

Guest Lauren

Guest Lauren
150 miles a week plus weekend trips, plus insurance costs, plus general running costs.....

I think you had best play it safe and get a NA otherwise costs could get uncomfortable, insurance at 19 would be crippling in itself :search:

I have done a few quotes as I stand now and honestly the insurance isn't an issue at all. I couldn't quite believe it myself so I checked with many other TT Supra's and it's coming in around the same price every time!

The insurance I will look at paying outright so that won't come out of my monthly income.. I think it will be doable! :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey welcome to the club, when I got my supra about 18 months ago I was 20 and imo with the mileage you do you would be better off getting a cheap run about as you will make back the cost of it in fuel alone especially with the rising fuel prices. This will also allow you modify your supra and not worry about it being off the road for a week or two etc as well. I also did the same when I had my skyline r33 when I was 19 I bought a corsa as a daily.

Chris

Guest Lauren
hey welcome to the club, when I got my supra about 18 months ago I was 20 and imo with the mileage you do you would be better off getting a cheap run about as you will make back the cost of it in fuel alone especially with the rising fuel prices. This will also allow you modify your supra and not worry about it being off the road for a week or two etc as well. I also did the same when I had my skyline r33 when I was 19 I bought a corsa as a daily.

Chris

Thanks for the heads up Chris! Skyline R33 at 19, lovely!! Yeah I think I will look into getting a small car as a daily. Maybe just something crazy cheap on insurance and just buy a car for say, £500, just to get about in. Then like you say I can just garage the Supra and work on it in my own time without needing things done by Monday morning ready for work! :)

Thanks for the heads up Chris! Skyline R33 at 19, lovely!! Yeah I think I will look into getting a small car as a daily. Maybe just something crazy cheap on insurance and just buy a car for say, £500, just to get about in. Then like you say I can just garage the Supra and work on it in my own time without needing things done by Monday morning ready for work! :)

no problem I think thats your best bet anyway, insurance wise I would check you are doing quotes for a japenese import and not a uk spec model. The uk spec models are alot cheaper to insure but more expensive to buy and harder to come by :)

Guest Lauren
no problem I think thats your best bet anyway, insurance wise I would check you are doing quotes for a japenese import and not a uk spec model. The uk spec models are alot cheaper to insure but more expensive to buy and harder to come by :)

Yeah I've sussed this one out - a nice UK spec goes for around 13k by the looks! Maybe more!

As for insurance, I have done it on Jap Imports (and even ticked the import box to say it's an import through the insurance) as thats what I would be looking to get.. price is coming through all around the same kind of money. When I first did a quote I thought I may have done it as an Auto or N/A hence why it was affordable but it's definitely been a TT manual each time! :D

Lauren, what sort of price are you getting insurance wise?

I'm thinking your idea of reasonable and mine is not the same thing. :blink:

I'm waiting to pick up my first Supra (NA) and have been really annoyed with insurance quotes - I'm female with 8 years no claims and live in a nice area. Fully comp is coming back anywhere between £500 and £1000+. Most are averaging at £650 which I think is a little high.

Guest Lauren
Lauren, what sort of price are you getting insurance wise?

I'm thinking your idea of reasonable and mine is not the same thing. :blink:

I'm waiting to pick up my first Supra (NA) and have been really annoyed with insurance quotes - I'm female with 8 years no claims and live in a nice area. Fully comp is coming back anywhere between £500 and £1000+. Most are averaging at £650 which I think is a little high.

Ahh maybe not.. mines around £2000+ which sounds awful, and is awful, but I pay a little over 2k on the Swift so to me it's okay I guess considering it is a Supra I'll be insured on. Insurance doesn't like young drivers thats for sure!

We got 3 for sale on the forum for under £9k ;)

Oh! Well.. that told me! Haha, I was looking on Paul Brown I think it was and there was a couple on there which were over 10k.. they are mint mind!

For what it's worth, I think you're crazy to buy a car that you'll have to pay ridiculous insurance on (but then you're pretty mad to pay £2k / year on a Swift!). Are there not ways to bring the premium down via defensive driving courses, weekend-only cover, offset excesses or insurance under your parents?

If it were me, I would buy a cheap fuel-efficient run-about for the work commute and save for a few years until my insurance dropped to something decent - THEN buy the stupid sportscar and modify it to the hilt with the money I'd saved on insurance premiums.

Alternatively, if I couldn't stop myself buying the Supra, I'd simply not insure it and trailer it to the track. Extra £2k on tyres and fuel, modify it as you want, then MOT/tax it in a few years.

Guest Lauren
For what it's worth, I think you're crazy to buy a car that you'll have to pay ridiculous insurance on (but then you're pretty mad to pay £2k / year on a Swift!). Are there not ways to bring the premium down via defensive driving courses, weekend-only cover, offset excesses or insurance under your parents?

If it were me, I would buy a cheap fuel-efficient run-about for the work commute and save for a few years until my insurance dropped to something decent - THEN buy the stupid sportscar and modify it to the hilt with the money I'd saved on insurance premiums.

Alternatively, if I couldn't stop myself buying the Supra, I'd simply not insure it and trailer it to the track. Extra £2k on tyres and fuel, modify it as you want, then MOT/tax it in a few years.

This is the problem, shockingly it was actually MORE for me to get insured in a Vauxhall Corsa (1.2) as my first car - than what it was for me to get insured in my 1.6 Swift! It's ridiculous. I don't think you can escape paying a crazy premium now for your first car. Every person I know of who is my age, for their first car they paid over or around 1000/2000 to insure it! It kills me off - but I love my cars, it's what I'm into I guess, so it's the price I have to pay :(

As for ways to bring it down, insurance only on weekends - I use my car daily to get to work in (Mon-Fri).. so that's not possible. Insurance under my parents and me as a named driver, that can work.. I know of people who have done this but it just kicks back the next year as from what I hear you don't get a no claims by being a named driver and without that your premium still is fairly high when you go for insurance next year.. There is a 'Pass Plus' driving course but this doesn't get taken into account with some insurers, and the money you save is very little if anything.. so the £100+ the course costs (I think) doesn't become worth it...

Can't win really!

Edited by Lauren (see edit history)

Ahh maybe not.. mines around £2000+ which sounds awful, and is awful, but I pay a little over 2k on the Swift so to me it's okay I guess considering it is a Supra I'll be insured on. Insurance doesn't like young drivers thats for sure!

Lol. I guess you're right, Lauren.

I did my Pass Plus, and it knocked my first years insurance down from £1200 to £600. Occasionally it makes a difference now, but rarely. I think it's better for those just passed.

I actually got a quote last night that made me roll around laughing £4400+ !!

If I kicked off the occasional business use it dropped to £2200, but still!

I think with Supra's, insurance drops when you've had experience 'that' specific car. It's a question a lot of the insurers asked me.

Good luck with your search :)

This is the problem, shockingly it was actually MORE for me to get insured in a Vauxhall Corsa (1.2) as my first car - than what it was for me to get insured in my 1.6 Swift! It's ridiculous. I don't think you can escape paying a crazy premium now for your first car. Every person I know of who is my age, for their first car they paid over or around 1000/2000 to insure it! It kills me off - but I love my cars, it's what I'm into I guess, so it's the price I have to pay :(

As for ways to bring it down, insurance only on weekends - I use my car daily to get to work in (Mon-Fri).. so that's not possible. Insurance under my parents and me as a named driver, that can work.. I know of people who have done this but it just kicks back the next year as from what I hear you don't get a no claims by being a named driver and without that your premium still is fairly high when you go for insurance next year.. There is a 'Pass Plus' driving course but this doesn't get taken into account with some insurers, and the money you save is very little if anything.. so the £100+ the course costs (I think) doesn't become worth it...

Can't win really!

Certainly sounds like you can't win! Where I grew up (Australia), you had the choice of paying ridiculous sums for your own insurance, or going on your parents insurance but with a massive excess (4-5k) for any at fault claims. But then, you can't get away without having a car there!

Insurance under my parents and me as a named driver, that can work.. I know of people who have done this but it just kicks back the next year as from what I hear you don't get a no claims by being a named driver and without that your premium still is fairly high when you go for insurance next year..

I think it was Direct Line that were doing a policy for named drivers that would increase NCB's, but, it is a very risky business. Every time I've been stopped (last time I had already stopped, it was in sainsbury's car park while buying fags) the first thing they ask is if the car is insured in your name.

If it gets to the police, or insurance company that you aren't just a named driver, but the main driver, your insurance will be invalid and the popo will try and bum you!

I'm over 30 now, and still have my mother as a named driver, drops the premium on mine considerably still.

Guest Lauren

Thanks kokoro :)

I think it was Direct Line that were doing a policy for named drivers that would increase NCB's, but, it is a very risky business. Every time I've been stopped (last time I had already stopped, it was in sainsbury's car park while buying fags) the first thing they ask is if the car is insured in your name.

If it gets to the police, or insurance company that you aren't just a named driver, but the main driver, your insurance will be invalid and the popo will try and bum you!

I'm over 30 now, and still have my mother as a named driver, drops the premium on mine considerably still.

Yeah.. I did actually contact Direct Line when I was looking for insurance for the Swift and they wouldn't insure me at all. They said they can't/don't insure anyone on a 1.6 unless they are 19+

I've heard that too, a few insurers told me that as well about it being illegal an what not to be down as a named driver and actually be the main driver..

Worth it - I have my mum and dad on as named drivers at the mo and it drops the premium - so worth doing! :D

2k insurance on a swift :rlol:

No no, over 2k! Lol. It's not exactly a bad car though, I was quite happy with a 1.6 as my first car :)

Yeah.. I did actually contact Direct Line when I was looking for insurance for the Swift and they wouldn't insure me at all. They said they can't/don't insure anyone on a 1.6 unless they are 19+

I've heard that too, a few insurers told me that as well about it being illegal an what not to be down as a named driver and actually be the main driver..

Worth it - I have my mum and dad on as named drivers at the mo and it drops the premium - so worth doing! :D

No no, over 2k! Lol. It's not exactly a bad car though, I was quite happy with a 1.6 as my first car :)

Hi, Since you are getting a runaround it may be worth doing the following.

Buy Supra get parent as MAIN driver, you are named driver you pay their insurance (No, No claims being built up on your policy).

Buy the cheapest to insure runaround for your age, value it at £100. You being main driver and get your parents on as named drivers you pay insurance (Your No claims will be built up on this car).

Also with your Father/Mother as main driver on the Supra it could be insured through a classic car scheme (search for classic insurance threads on this forum for insurers). This could be as little as 300 pounds fully comprehensive for the year. I think limiting factors for a classic policy are 25-30+ years old for the main driver, limited mileage policy eg 5000 miles, Main driver to have second vehicle as main car, possibly garaged or secure overnight parking and the age of the vehicle to be at least 15 years old.

2k insurance on a swift :rlol:

Car insurance premiums are stupidly high now, I feel sorry for young drivers as it's nearly impossible to afford to pay it, my first car was £500 insurance (1 litre fiat uno), I paid £1150 third party for my swift gti when I was 18, both of those seemed excessive then but I doubt anyone under the same circumstances could get anywhere near those prices now though :(

Hi, Since you are getting a runaround it may be worth doing the following.

Buy Supra get parent as MAIN driver, you are named driver you pay their insurance (No, No claims being built up on your policy).

Buy the cheapest to insure runaround for your age, value it at £100. You being main driver and get your parents on as named drivers you pay insurance (Your No claims will be built up on this car).

Also with your Father/Mother as main driver on the Supra it could be insured through a classic car scheme (search for classic insurance threads on this forum for insurers). This could be as little as 300 pounds fully comprehensive for the year. I think limiting factors for a classic policy are 25-30+ years old for the main driver, limited mileage policy eg 5000 miles, Main driver to have second vehicle as main car, possibly garaged or secure overnight parking and the age of the vehicle to be at least 15 years old.

Just to note Lauren this is highly illegal and is known as fronting which is insurance fraud. So if your willing to drive around uninsured in the supra then by all means do it at your own risk but if your insurance company ever find out no one will ever insure you again and if you do get insured it will be wildy expensive, 2000 will be pocket change.

Nice to know other members are giving out good advice ..... :blink:

Thanks for the advice! :) I did read somewhere that the standard air box is okay for about 400bhp? I think thats what it said anyway.. but I know I'll end up wanting to make the engine bay look pretty....

The stock airbox is the best induction for the Supra (maybe want to change to a performance OEM fitment filter)

But I guess if you just want pretty and dont care about the running go for a cone filter :D

Just to note Lauren this is highly illegal and is known as fronting which is insurance fraud. So if your willing to drive around uninsured in the supra then by all means do it at your own risk but if your insurance company ever find out no one will ever insure you again and if you do get insured it will be wildy expensive, 2000 will be pocket change.

Wise words :)

How about getting all your family cars (perhaps Mum, Dad, older brothers and sisters still living at home(??)), to go on a single multi-car policy like Admiral? Everyone builds up their own NCB but with a reduced premium.

We have just done that for four cars, including one daughter of 21 and another just learning of 18 and reduced the total premiums for all four cars from something like £2,400 to £1,450.

Guest Lauren

Thanks for all the advice and tips, much appreciated!

I am hoping insurance will be a little cheaper by the time Oct/Dec time comes, as I will be 19 then and that's when I'll be looking into purchasing a Supra. I'm really considering getting a daily now ready for when I get the Supra..something just small and cheap to insure to kick about in, and sell the Swift - bank the money towards the Supra of course!

This way I won't be relying on selling the Swift to get the Supra as such. So I can just get it in my own time instead of needing all the money by Oct when my insurance runs out.

We'll see though! I wonder what people will think if I sell my Swift & replace it with something not so nice lol. Little do they know eh!

I'm also unsure how much to spend on a small daily, ideally I'd like something really cheap so I don't miss the money (say, £500?) but then as a daily I am going to want reliability, and I don't seem to think I'll get reliability spending that little!?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a daily?

Welcome to the club Lauren :) Im only 17 myself so im quite young lol. I like your Suzuki swift it pretty cool.

Cheers Chris! Ah right, atleast I'm not the youngest here then! Are you looking to get a Supra?! Or just a fan?

Thanks again for all the comments guys

Erm, not fronting if its not your main vehicle, If you read my post correctly it states the runaround, which I assume she will be using for work commutes is the main car. The supra is the 2nd vehicle which she can drive at her leisure. Probably weekends. If i drive my dads car occasionally of which I'm a named driver does that mean I'm uninsured. Of course not. The advise is sound. I would be more worried about declaring any current/future modifications. As this is the area you will be caught up on if you need to claim.