The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Right, let's be HONEST, who can drive their supra with confidence in the rain/wet?

supra_aero

Never really driven the TT in the wet except on it's first trip back from Jurgens and I was taking my time as I wasn't used to the car. In my NA we sepnt a lot of time out in wet/icy conditions and I found the car to grip exceptionally well and any slides were easily controllable.

Had Dunlop SP9000's on the NA and they were excellent in the wet.

If the ground is wet then the TT doesn't come out, simples..!! It's more to do with maintaining it's condition rather than how it would handle.

H.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lot of good points being said, for me the main one is rain is not an issue but driving beyond your means is..

now driving in the ice,snow then this i dont enjoy as sometimes even beyond your control without speed you can be involved in an accident.

but driving in the wet is down to the driver and how they drive, drive sensible and the car will drive ok drive like race car driver then your asking for trouble.

I have trouble in the wet in my N/A. Back end is pretty easy to lose if you drive it the wrong way and continue as you may quite easily do in the dry. I don't think i have an LSD though, so im sure it would be much better with one installed. Basically its very twitchy in the wet and even with N/A power its easy to spin the wheels.

The Supra is certainly less forgiving than the FWD cars people mentioned trying to keep up with earlier in the thread.

I've just spent some time (as a passenger) in Krister's Evo8 on snow & ice in Finland, and I think that unless you have a regular chance to practice driving in these kind of conditions (rain, sleet, snow, ice etc) you are always going to feel uncomfortable. I myself am quite nervous about driving on icy / snowy roads in any car, but purely due to lack of experience. I haven't worried much about driving the Supra in rain (especially the heavy kind of rain you don't seem to get here) but I've always kept good tyres and wheel alignment, and don't drive stupidly in the wet. I, unlike some, don't think it's "liquid horsepower".

I've just spent some time (as a passenger) in Krister's Evo8 on snow & ice in Finland, and I think that unless you have a regular chance to practice driving in these kind of conditions (rain, sleet, snow, ice etc) you are always going to feel uncomfortable. I myself am quite nervous about driving on icy / snowy roads in any car, but purely due to lack of experience. I haven't worried much about driving the Supra in rain (especially the heavy kind of rain you don't seem to get here) but I've always kept good tyres and wheel alignment, and don't drive stupidly in the wet. I, unlike some, don't think it's "liquid horsepower".

Very good point well made!

I believe that practice does indeed make as perfect as your going to achieve or at best allow you to make an informed decision/ correction.

If you understand how the car will behave if all goes wrong, then it won't become to massive a shock to the system when it actually does.

I tried to arrange skid pan training for the Southwest gang, but it turned out to be ridiculously expensive.

Its a shame that the safe practice areas aren't made more affordable to the people who are genuinely interested in being safer on our roads.

Edited by Pudsey
Grammer correction. (see edit history)

I'm not talking about speeding, just even going at the speed limit on twisty country roads.

I've had 2 supras now and both are very trigger happy on the throttle in wet weather. And I am not stranger to fast cars just find the supra very bad in the wet.

Literally I struggle to shake many very average cars in wet weather for fear the back end will step out.

Is it just me or how do you guys feel? Maybe its my tyres, but I'd have thought a supra on even average tyres should be better than an average car surely.

By the way, if you've crashed a supra before you are not permitted to post here as I won't believe you :D

Aren't these two comments kind of contradicting each other ?

My take on this subject is there are so many things that make a supra crap in the wet.

Driver not so good or over confident in their own ability (even a stock tt has 300 hp but this seems to be

looked on as a low hp for some reason)

Poor quality tyres

Incorrectly inflated tyres

Worn out tyres with little tread depth left

Incorrect suspension geometry

Rock hard suspension

Too stiff anti roll bars

Or a mixture of the above

Oops i forgot to mention diesel :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I've been using my auto N/A as daily driver since I've had it (18 months).

My approach to it in the rain is to drive it like I drive my truck when it's loaded, I let it roll through roundabout's and only use the go pedal when it's in a straight line.

What does help though is it's pretty quiet out on the roads at 3 and 4 in the morning.

My take on this subject is there are so many things that make a supra crap in the wet.

Driver not so good or over confident in their own ability (even a stock tt has 300 hp but this seems to be

looked on as a low hp for some reason)

Poor quality tyres

Incorrectly inflated tyres

Worn out tyres with little tread depth left

Incorrect suspension geometry

Rock hard suspension

Too stiff anti roll bars

Or a mixture of the above

Oops i forgot to mention diesel :)

Very wise words, too many road cars driving round with track suspension, ive lost count of the times ive seen a bike like a suzuki bandit cream a sports bike down bumpy back roads, its because the bandit has soft compliant suspension and the sports bike will be getting thrown all over the show !!!!!!

Living in one of the wettest parts of Europe ensures that I get plenty of wet weather driving practice and I find my stock(ish) JDM TT auto is secure and planted in the drizzle, light rain and torrential downpours that we get in Argyll. My car wears Falken FK452s, not a top brand, but a good budget tyre.

I think that there are a fair number of Supra drivers that are not used to rwd cars. My own driving history started with Hillman Avengers, Mk3 Cortinas, Imps and Morris Marinas, back in the 80's. If you didn't master rwd pretty quickly, you'd be climbing out of ditches on a regular basis.

The 'children' who have driven little but Corsas, Clios and Fiestas, have little concept of rwd behaviour and consequently drive powerful rwd cars in the same carefree way and suffer the consequences.

Fwiw, I'm a great believer that serving some time riding motorcycles helps you read road surfaces like your life depends on it - generally because it does! ;)

99 times out of 100 it's tyres imo, I'm into my sixth year of daily driving in mine, when I bought it there were budgets on it and it frequently stepped out in the wet, sometimes at 30mph or less.

I can't afford to be forking out £200 a corner for a daily driver but the widespread availability of part worn performance tyres means that I can run p-zero's, conti's etc now. Since switching to proper tyres I've had no issues in the wet (touch wood).

Living in one of the wettest parts of Europe ensures that I get plenty of wet weather driving practice and I find my stock(ish) JDM TT auto is secure and planted in the drizzle, light rain and torrential downpours that we get in Argyll. My car wears Falken FK452s, not a top brand, but a good budget tyre.

I think that there are a fair number of Supra drivers that are not used to rwd cars. My own driving history started with Hillman Avengers, Mk3 Cortinas, Imps and Morris Marinas, back in the 80's. If you didn't master rwd pretty quickly, you'd be climbing out of ditches on a regular basis.

The 'children' who have driven little but Corsas, Clios and Fiestas, have little concept of rwd behaviour and consequently drive powerful rwd cars in the same carefree way and suffer the consequences.

Fwiw, I'm a great believer that serving some time riding motorcycles helps you read road surfaces like your life depends on it - generally because it does! ;)

Very true points, an especially about bikes, if more drivers rode motorcycles prior or as well as driving cars, i suspect they would have a little more consideration for others on the road, and be more savvy about road conditions and safety, nothing like riding a bike to remind you of your mortality.

i think they all pretty much lethal in the wet mate, just how you drive um, i find mine is ok if i drive it tidy, the other day took it to work, roundabout 3rd exit little bit of throttle and i mean a little bit and there she goes, easy enough corrected :cool: but thats as far as i go, like another member said, its not worth risking such a good car. anyhow nowadays, raining= car in garage=lift in to work ;)

I'm not talking about speeding, just even going at the speed limit on twisty country roads.

I've had 2 supras now and both are very trigger happy on the throttle in wet weather. And I am not stranger to fast cars just find the supra very bad in the wet.

Literally I struggle to shake many very average cars in wet weather for fear the back end will step out.

Is it just me or how do you guys feel? Maybe its my tyres, but I'd have thought a supra on even average tyres should be better than an average car surely.

By the way, if you've crashed a supra before you are not permitted to post here as I won't believe you :D

i think they all pretty much lethal in the wet mate, just how you drive um, i find mine is ok if i drive it tidy, the other day took it to work, roundabout 3rd exit little bit of throttle and i mean a little bit and there she goes, easy enough corrected :cool: but thats as far as i go, like another member said, its not worth risking such a good car. anyhow nowadays, raining= car in garage=lift in to work ;)

Whats the set up on your car suspension wise.

What tyres have you got, how much tread left on them and what pressures are they.

Have you had the wheel alignment checked ? this is critical on a mkiv to get good tyre

wear accurate steering and grip

My car is set up quite hard on Eibachs with rather stiff TRD anti roll bars and driving in the rain

is fine and far from lethal, i'd be doing a few checks on you car if i were you

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

a lot of good points being said, for me the main one is rain is not an issue but driving beyond your means is..

now driving in the ice,snow then this i dont enjoy as sometimes even beyond your control without speed you can be involved in an accident.

but driving in the wet is down to the driver and how they drive, drive sensible and the car will drive ok drive like race car driver then your asking for trouble.

:yeahthat:

A few years with 200SX's tought me how to handle RWD, even in the wet, and my Supras were a natural progression. I've had a few close calls with various cars over the years, but what doesn't kill us make us stronger :D

Ice and snow are a different matter, both my turbo Supras have swapped ends in the ice, both like tank slapping on a bike and very difficult to recover once gone.

My S2 loves the bad weather though, it never wants to slide :D