The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Right, let's be HONEST, who can drive their supra with confidence in the rain/wet?

supra_aero

Im guessing in your Range Rover perhaps :innocent:

Yes sir quite right, I would not swap it for anything !!!! But I am prob going to look for a 996 Turbo (6 speed) we have a tuning firm who we are agents for and can prob blag their 800 hp conversion as they dont have a demonstrator in the UK at the moment !!!! But the Range Rover will be staying.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine drives good in the wet. It used to be a little skittish but that was a combination of mega stiff suspension, less than optimal geometry and Eagle F1s.

I am now on even wider (and therefore theoretically worse in the wet) 255/35/18 and 315/35/17 Vredestrein Ultrac Sessanta tyres with sofer suspension and the car drives beatifully in wet or dry. The tyres make a huge difference.

Dec 2010/Jan 2011 I had to use the car for a few weeks in mega snow and ice conditions - and I don't mean the gritted and slushy crap on motorways and A roads....I mean a lot of driving on sheet ice and 1"-3" on fresh as well as compacted snow. I had 225/50/17 and 245/45/17 Continental winter tyres on and it drove very well with predictable grip levels and sensible stopping capability. With Eagle F1s on it was impossible to move forward on sheet ice.

standard suspension wise, new,ish rubber, very good tread depth maybe 6-7mm on tyres- Continentals all round, front 235/40/18/ rear 275/40/18, i have an invoice from previous owner for an alignment job done on the car bk a few years (expensive £££) so i take it the alignment is ok, car drives straight and true, no uneven tyre ware,

Whats the set up on your car suspension wise.

What tyres have you got, how much tread left on them and what pressures are they.

Have you had the wheel alignment checked ? this is critical on a mkiv to get good tyre

wear accurate steering and grip

My car is set up quite hard on Eibachs with rather stiff TRD anti roll bars and driving in the rain

is fine and far from lethal, i'd be doing a few checks on you car if i were you

standard suspension wise, new,ish rubber, very good tread depth maybe 6-7mm on tyres- Continentals all round, front 235/40/18/ rear 275/40/18, i have an invoice from previous owner for an alignment job done on the car bk a few years (expensive £££) so i take it the alignment is ok, car drives straight and true, no uneven tyre ware,

I really don't see why you have such a drama with the car in the wet then, mine certainly isn't the best wet set

up by far but its never left me thinking its lethal.

Some very good advice here which I have taken on board.

For what it's worth I've just came back from a tyre place who had a look at my tyres. Whilst only 1 was on the limit (which will massively explain poor performance in the wet I now understand - especially as it was a rear tyre), they were all messed up in terms of tyre pressures and different (generally v. cheap brands!!) tyres on each corner.

I've ordered pzero assymetrics for the rear and eagle f1 assymetrics for the fronts (couldn't afford to do it the other way around lol).

I'll post back my results :eyebrows:

*I'm pretty sure it not the driver in my case :D

Never really driven the TT in the wet except on it's first trip back from Jurgens and I was taking my time as I wasn't used to the car. In my NA we sepnt a lot of time out in wet/icy conditions and I found the car to grip exceptionally well and any slides were easily controllable.

Had Dunlop SP9000's on the NA and they were excellent in the wet.

If the ground is wet then the TT doesn't come out, simples..!! It's more to do with maintaining it's condition rather than how it would handle.

H.

Wise choice H...my TT was my daily driver and this one time I got caught in the mother of all rain storms and my eyes were on stalks, she was just on the end of being out of control, literally couldn't use any throttle. Definately a brown trouser moment! :)

Why not try the same tyres on all four wheels mate? That would be a good place to start.

I've not ordered the f1s yet. ok will order pzeros all around in that case.

Tyre man said won't make a big difference so long as they are paired on the same axle. What I get for listening to him I guess :(

Edited by supra_aero (see edit history)

I've not ordered the f1s yet. ok will order pzeros all around in that case.

Tyre man said won't make a big difference so long as they are paired on the same axle. What I get for listening to him I guess :(

I wouldn't listen to your tyre man. Keep the same brand on all four corner otherwise you will end with diffrent rubber compounds and tyre tread patterns. That sort of thing is alright on a family saloon but not a high performance car where handling is key!:D

I wouldn't listen to your tyre man. Keep the same brand on all four corner otherwise you will end with diffrent rubber compounds and tyre tread patterns. That sort of thing is alright on a family saloon but not a high performance car where handling is key!:D

i run falkens on the rear and vredesteins on the front. No issues for day to day road driving regardless for the conditions. Certainly if I was a racing driver on a track perhaps the difference would be noticeable.

imi

i run falkens on the rear and vredesteins on the front. No issues for day to day road driving regardless for the conditions. Certainly if I was a racing driver on a track perhaps the difference would be noticeable.

imi

I think there's a lot to be said for equal traction at both ends of the car on a road car. Balance is important when driving in low-friction conditions.

I can speak mainly for the UK-spec Supra when it comes to wet handling. I think mr T got a pretty damn good factory setup in terms of spring, damper, camber etc. for wet conditions. Having owned my Supra for over 10 years I've driven a good few miles in the wet on the stock alloys with stock sized tyres and also on 18" alloys with wider and lower profile tyres. Both work very well.

I'd say the main reason why many Supra drivers find it hard to control the Supra in the wet is because many have strayed away from the stock set up as explained above. If you lower your car and make everything stiffer it has very large impact on lower friction surfaces.

Also I'd say that a big part of fast driving in the wet is that you have to plan ahead for oversteer and understeer and make it more of an expectation rather than a reaction element in your head at all times. By doing this you find yourself being smoother on the power and brakes and when the back end starts to go you already know what to do. It does actually become second nature after a while and you correct minor slides via the power and steer without thinking too much about it.

The bigger slides obviously stick in your mind, but a big slide is usually the result of inaction from a minor slide - so as you build up confidence and the ability, the bigger slides should never really develop.

I think there's a lot to be said for equal traction at both ends of the car on a road car. Balance is important when driving in low-friction conditions.

by having the same tyres all round will one have same traction anyway?

example - 285s vs 245s, Front Engined so hardly a 50/50 weight distribution.

ok maybe lethal was a bit harsh, but what i meant to say was with any powerful rwd motor youve got to be careful in the wet because they not going to be nowhere near as good as in the dry. basically i meant its very easy to get the rear to step out if youre pushing it.

I really don't see why you have such a drama with the car in the wet then, mine certainly isn't the best wet set

up by far but its never left me thinking its lethal.

Results are in :eyebrows:

Fitted my pzero Asimmetrico s today (rear only). Awaiting fronts.

I cant believe the difference!!

Admittedly this is semi dry/damp conditions but its like the tyres are made of glue!

• Incredible feedback through the steering wheel. Car doesn't bounce anymore going over potholes and bumps in the road - its like the tyres are sucked into the bumps yet the ride is still smoother than before - really odd.

• I can kickdown (with the auto) whilst cornering with confidence that the back end feels planted - I'd need guts of steel before! Not suggesting I or people do this on every corner mind!

• Car also feel so much safer braking, accelerating and cornering in general. Honestly feels like my tyre man lined the tread with superglue. Feels really odd. The car just keeps gripping and gripping as they get warmer and warmer.

• Reduced road noise reduced and a much smoother ride.

• The car is also much much more responsive to changes in steering direction. It's like my steering has been upgraded.

Quite astonishing the difference tyres make. I heard the hype but never realised it's THAT much more planted. Totally different car.

What shocks me most is my fronts still are mis matched and old cheapo nonsense. Yet the difference with just the rears is dramatic to say the least. At £210+ per tyre they better be good I guess.

Easily the best upgrade I've done to the supra since I've had it.

Thanks for all your advice - very much appreciated!!

If you have some cheap tyres on especially with hardly any tread I'd strongly recommend putting on some decent boots! Ultimately you'll enjoy your car so much more and it will be much safer too!

Front's arrive tomorrow ! Can't wait!!!

[*]i can kickdown (with the auto) whilst cornering with confidence that the back end feels planted - i'd need guts of steel before! Not suggesting i or people do this on every corner mind!

:blink:

Results are in :eyebrows:

Fitted my pzero Asimmetrico s today (rear only). Awaiting fronts.

I cant believe the difference!!

Admittedly this is semi dry/damp conditions but its like the tyres are made of glue!

• Incredible feedback through the steering wheel. Car doesn't bounce anymore going over potholes and bumps in the road - its like the tyres are sucked into the bumps yet the ride is still smoother than before - really odd.

• I can kickdown (with the auto) whilst cornering with confidence that the back end feels planted - I'd need guts of steel before! Not suggesting I or people do this on every corner mind!

• Car also feel so much safer braking, accelerating and cornering in general. Honestly feels like my tyre man lined the tread with superglue. Feels really odd. The car just keeps gripping and gripping as they get warmer and warmer.

• Reduced road noise reduced and a much smoother ride.

• The car is also much much more responsive to changes in steering direction. It's like my steering has been upgraded.

Quite astonishing the difference tyres make. I heard the hype but never realised it's THAT much more planted. Totally different car.

What shocks me most is my fronts still are mis matched and old cheapo nonsense. Yet the difference with just the rears is dramatic to say the least. At £210+ per tyre they better be good I guess.

Easily the best upgrade I've done to the supra since I've had it.

Thanks for all your advice - very much appreciated!!

If you have some cheap tyres on especially with hardly any tread I'd strongly recommend putting on some decent boots! Ultimately you'll enjoy your car so much more and it will be much safer too!

Front's arrive tomorrow ! Can't wait!!!

Glad to here you got some better rubbers on your supra fella. And that now you know how important it is to have a decent set of tyres on the supra. Enjoy!!

by having the same tyres all round will one have same traction anyway?

example - 285s vs 245s, Front Engined so hardly a 50/50 weight distribution.

I like to have the same brand and model of tyres front and rear so I know they behave the same in changing road and weather conditions. For example a Sessanta and Eagle F1 combo may be very similar in the dry but the Sessantas will displace more standing water so you'd want to "pick which end of the car you prefer to autoplane first" in that example. That's an oversimplification due to widths and tread depth but the same argument holds true for hot vs cold roads. My Eagle F1s GSD3s were not very good on very cold roads at all, mixing those with a P-Zero or Sessanta (in my experience) does give mixed grip levels on cold roads. On a hot road there's not much between them and any oversteer vs. understeer was always predictable.