The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-t build

pjavon

What kinda boost are you going to be running dude?

EDIT: seen your comment regarding 6-7psi. Assume your using standard injectors at that pressure? I'm sure you could run safely at 8psi with a good tune on stock compression. I've been told you have go just over 9psi but on standard compression its not recommended for long runs.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah good mate! There's nothing worse than somthing that small holding you back when your just about ready to put her back together ;)

Ain't that the truth:D

What kinda boost are you going to be running dude?

EDIT: seen your comment regarding 6-7psi. Assume your using standard injectors at that pressure? I'm sure you could run safely at 8psi with a good tune on stock compression. I've been told you have go just over 9psi but on standard compression its not recommended for long runs.

Yes I'm leaving all that alone for now, I was just going to try and get it running nice on low boost and then MAYBE try for higher boost at a later date. It sounds silly I suppose but big power isn't the main goal, just hopefully a reliable car with a bit of go but we'll see;)

I wouldn't recommend using the stock NA injectors as they will be pretty much maxed out with your proposed spec. If I remember right NA injectors are around 330cc so they are not running anywhere near maximum at stock BHP and have a big safety margin. My NA-T is running a dyno proven 374BHP @ 6psi boost which could be an issue if i had kept the OEM injectors. I went for some MKIII Turbo 440cc injectors. I paid a measly £60 for the six injectors off the MKIII Supra forum then had them ultra sonic cleaned and flow tested for peace of mind. They fit the NA fuel rail perfectly and are top feed unlike the MKIV TT side feed units. The resistance of these are lower than the MKIV NA injectors so i made up a resistor pack to compensate for this as it can affect open/close operating speed albeit not by much but this is your pride and joy! Remember the guys and gals the other side of the pond love this conversion so make sure you check out http://www.clubna-t.com.

I wouldn't recommend using the stock NA injectors as they will be pretty much maxed out with your proposed spec. If I remember right NA injectors are around 330cc so they are not running anywhere near maximum at stock BHP and have a big safety margin. My NA-T is running a dyno proven 374BHP @ 6psi boost which could be an issue if i had kept the OEM injectors. I went for some MKIII Turbo 440cc injectors. I paid a measly £60 for the six injectors off the MKIII Supra forum then had them ultra sonic cleaned and flow tested for peace of mind. They fit the NA fuel rail perfectly and are top feed unlike the MKIV TT side feed units. The resistance of these are lower than the MKIV NA injectors so i made up a resistor pack to compensate for this as it can affect open/close operating speed albeit not by much but this is your pride and joy! Remember the guys and gals the other side of the pond love this conversion so make sure you check out http://www.clubna-t.com.

That sounds interesting Scott, I might give you a call later;)

I'm thinking of fitting one of these into my down pipe as I'm using cheap ebay stuff to try and eleviate any stress from the exhaust into the manifold.

Anyone got any opinions, my view is it can't do any harm but thought I'd ask incase I'm wrong:D

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqJ,!igE7EWZUwfNBOzh9kWjo!~~60_12.JPG

:thumbs: good idea. I was thinking about the stress on the manifold without the flexi included. If toyota put it in, there's definitely a reason why. Let me know how you get on, as I need a new down pipe and could incorperate this if it works. Manifolds crack, this would reduce the chances enough to save you some pennies IMO. Good idea for sure!

im going down the NA-T route so this will be great help

looks great, cant wait to build mine

Thought you were going TT? Turning to the dark side... :D

Just paid £50 for a set of six mate, might need some tips on how to go about the restrictor though:)

:thumbs: good idea. I was thinking about the stress on the manifold without the flexi included. If toyota put it in, there's definitely a reason why. Let me know how you get on, as I need a new down pipe and could incorperate this if it works. Manifolds crack, this would reduce the chances enough to save you some pennies IMO. Good idea for sure!

Yeah I can't see it doing any harm so I think i'll put one in. Luckily for me I have access to a TIG welder in work so it's not a big problem for me to do it.

I'm thinking of fitting one of these into my down pipe as I'm using cheap ebay stuff to try and eleviate any stress from the exhaust into the manifold.

Anyone got any opinions, my view is it can't do any harm but thought I'd ask incase I'm wrong:D

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqJ,!igE7EWZUwfNBOzh9kWjo!~~60_12.JPG

i should really get that done to mine! as mine is cheep xs power stuff lol

Started my oil feed at the filter end tonight.

This is the bolt drilled

And with the nut ready to TIG welded on tomorrow in work

So it should look like this tomorrow night then I can connect my oil line up fully.

Finished my oil feed this week so I mocked it up. I need to play with the oil line though as I can't get a nice arc in the line and it just isn't sitting right coming down to the oil filter housing. I think it might be a bit to long but I'll contemplate it for a while before I cut it and end up with it to short:D

Got my BOV of StuartW on friday. I think it'll look much nicer than the HKS ssqv I had already bought but if not there the same fitting si I'll swap them over:tbup

Edited by pjavon (see edit history)

I would advise on getting the injectors ultra sonic cleaned and flow tested before fitting them. There is a guy on Ebay who offers this service, he did a great job on mine and took the NA injectors as part payment. I'm not sure on the injector plugs, gotta be worth a try. I went in far too eager and cut the plugs of to put the MKIII ones on.

I'm liking the look of the oil return flange you have used, I used the TT one and blanked one side off, it doesn't look as pretty but it is functional. For the feed on mine I used one of the spares on the oil filter housing where they are blanked off with a hex head fitting. I intend to use the Lexus style mod you are doing for your oil feed to plumb in my oil pressure gauge.

Keep up the good work.

I would advise on getting the injectors ultra sonic cleaned and flow tested before fitting them. There is a guy on Ebay who offers this service, he did a great job on mine and took the NA injectors as part payment. I'm not sure on the injector plugs, gotta be worth a try. I went in far too eager and cut the plugs of to put the MKIII ones on.

I'm liking the look of the oil return flange you have used, I used the TT one and blanked one side off, it doesn't look as pretty but it is functional. For the feed on mine I used one of the spares on the oil filter housing where they are blanked off with a hex head fitting. I intend to use the Lexus style mod you are doing for your oil feed to plumb in my oil pressure gauge.

Keep up the good work.

Don't suppose you can remember who you used can you mate, I've found these ?

Also have you got any tips on the resistor pack you made up to control the flow you mentioned earlier. I can't find any info on how to do this anywhere.

Thanks

Hi Jon, it was either the seller on the link above or a seller called nik-pro. Both come up when you type 'ultra sonic injector' into the eBay search function.

As for the resistor pack, if i remember right the resistance has something to do with the time it takes for the ECU open/close signal to operate the injector. The NA injectors are high impedance and the MKIII turbo ones are low. The difference is around 10 Ohms when you test across the injector with a multimeter, but don't take my word for it. I ordered SH50 10R 5% Resistors, which are 50W, 5% tolerance 10Ohm resistors with a decent heat sink on them from Farnell @ £2.59 each ex VAT. We traced the injector loom back to behind the carbon can on the passenger side bulk head, and wired one resister to the feed for each injector. There may however be a better way of doing this. I had a stainless steel box made to house the resistors just to tidy things up.

Hope this helps.

PS. If you are using E-manage Blue you will need:

Greddy 3bar sensor

Greddy pressure sensor harness

Greddy E-manage injector harness

all availiable from Envy at around £150 when i bought mine.

You need a resistor pack OR in-line resistors. the 7mgte injectors are plug and play. Never noticed the difference with the tab before, thought I haven't put my injectors up again the clip... best for my to check that I think!

If you need a link to the required resistor let me know. Resistor box is mega bucks, which in my opinion is money not required to be spent as an inline resistor will do the same thing, though not as tidy, about 10% of the cost.