The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-t build

pjavon

About the only way to test a knock sensor is with a scope at the ecu end. Even then it's hard to determice if it's actually detecting knock or noise. There's a second way I have used once, more experimentally than for diagnostics. That's to log the output into an audio capture programme. and look at the waveforms. Having a dual knock sensor engine with only one showing an error code might mean you could compare the two outputs. It's probably hard enough under labaoratory conditions though. I'd just check the connector integrity and if all seems well swap it for one that doesn't trigger a fault code. Just be damned sure not to overtighten them or use Loctite though. I don't have the shop manual by me, but 14 ft lbs will be fine. Too tight and they either fail internally or give false positives, too loose and they don't detect properly. Loctite and it dampens the pick up of resonances and can insulate sensors grounded via the body and mounting thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little bracket that I've been going to do for a while now to support the intercooler pipework coming from the turbo.

I welded a small dog leg bracket onto the under side of the pipe

Then I altered the old bracket off the OEM expansion bottle with the rubber bobbin which screws into a threaded hole in the chassis. Unfortunately the bobbin was a bit on the scunt but it'll still do the job

Not that you can see when it's all back together but at least I know the pipes supprted:)

Awesome build, I keep threatening to do an NA-T build, finally decided to now so this thread will come in handy for info!

I just need to get bits together now as I've only got an NA engine! :D

Hope it helps a bit mate, thats why I've tried to keep it upto date with plenty of pic's:)

Love it mate! And sounds awesome :D

Thanks Jamie, and thanks for all your help mate. Not long now and hopefully I should be able to boot it at last:d

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Has anyone used these before. They seem to have a good reputation on the Toyota GT Turbo forum and are one of the closest to me who have any sort of decent feedback.

Did you use tuning developments in the end? iv been talking to them about doing mine? would be interesting to know what results you got and how the stage 2 clutch is holding up..

awesome build mate :thumbs:

• 2 months later...
I decided to trial fit the manifold and turbo etc on my existing engine to see if it all fits as EVERYONE thats seen it has said 'thats not going to fit in there' so I thought I'd rather scratch and bash this engine instead of my newly painted one.

Well it does fit:woot:, theres a few things that need sorting like the screamer pipe and I'm sure the down pipe isn't going to be a perfect fit when I do get the second de-cat but the main parts fit fine.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd28/pjavon/NA-T%20Pics/a0b27c4f.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd28/pjavon/NA-T%20Pics/13bfd82e.jpg

Anyway I best stop playing about now and carry on removing the ancillaries etc ready to take the engine out:D

hey mate any chance you could email me a link to these photos or email me some up close on how u mounted your intercooler?? ive just started my NA-T Build and am trying to decide where to mount it

cheers