The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Has anyone got an NA engine lying around that they could give this man?

I'm sure this car will need some sort of anchor if left out in high winds by the time it's finished.

I'm struggling to comprehend the levels of sheer imagination, determination & doggedness required to undertake a revision like this Richard.

My hat is well and truly doffed sir.

Some pics of preparing the turbo intake, had to grind down the welds, fill the dents, level the sections and sand it all flat, now it's nice and smooth and looks like a single piece, now just need to flat the primer back and add the final layers of paint (black and clear coat) ready for making a two piece mould for producing a carbon fibre version

attachment.php?attachmentid=185442&stc=1&d=1399806987

attachment.php?attachmentid=185441&stc=1&d=1399806987

attachment.php?attachmentid=185443&stc=1&d=1399806987

attachment.php?attachmentid=185444&stc=1&d=1399806987

10346305_635902506484396_3131126745144513563_n.jpg

10151836_635902526484394_1927122500307280517_n.jpg

10334318_635902549817725_2654698870823368543_n.jpg

10269371_635902569817723_43856406774071612_n.jpg

Cheers guys :)

The Tube is now in gloss black and tonight I will be flatting it down and hopefully polishing it up to a mirror shine (all depends if it needs more work).

Once that is done, I will need to add the mould barriers and then its on to making the mould :)

The scuttle panel is almost ready too, there are a couple of imperfections still, I have also made the holes for the securing screws now as well.

It just needs another coat of primer, then its onto the gloss coats and then onto polishing, this also should be ready this weekend for making a mould from.

attachment.php?attachmentid=185500&stc=1&d=1399882805

IMAG0442.jpg

While the scuttle panel and intake pipe are now drying with their final coats of paint.. I thought lets change the subject a little.

Lets talk Titanium... I was helping one of my mates the other day with fitting out His Evo 9 with a full Ti System...

I have never handled a full Ti system before and was simply blown away by how light it was.

Getting a Ti Exhaust is high on the list of things I want to do with the car as it will save a huge amount of weight over the heavy Stainless system I have now but as with everything on this car... it has to be custom made :) I was thinking of replacing the entire system from the Turbo back.

I know that Whifbitz also have a Custom Ti exhaust site but having things made in the UK is A LOT more expensive then the likes of the USA/Japan/China etc.

Now I know that having an exhaust made out of Ti is going to be ££££'s but has anyone had dealings with getting a Ti Part made outside of the UK for instance maybe not for a Supra but their GTR's Porsches etc (I know a few of you have these :))?

I used to get parts custom made in China, whilst labour and material costs are cheaper you really need to be at the factory to make sure they are correctly fabricated, I wouldn't want to attempt to get a custom part made in China from the UK.

Another thing to consider is international postage/courier costs, anything longer than 1.5m is very expensive to send.

All the commercially available Ti systems I have seen for most Jap cars are far too noisy for current track day usage, and things seem to be getting worse, as far as noise limits go. A friend was sent home from Brands the other day for tyre squeal, when testing some suspension mods I suggested on his BMW Cup race car ....

I used to get parts custom made in China, whilst labour and material costs are cheaper you really need to be at the factory to make sure they are correctly fabricated, I wouldn't want to attempt to get a custom part made in China from the UK.

Another thing to consider is international postage/courier costs, anything longer than 1.5m is very expensive to send.

Cheers mate, thats useful to know.

All the commercially available Ti systems I have seen for most Jap cars are far too noisy for current track day usage, and things seem to be getting worse, as far as noise limits go. A friend was sent home from Brands the other day for tyre squeal, when testing some suspension mods I suggested on his BMW Cup race car ....

Yeah, any system I had made would need to be kept to under 100db really.

I cant believe your mate got sent home for Tyre noise.. thats crazy... must have been some loud squeals, or was his driving too exuberant for their liking :)

I know some tracks are funny about tyre squeal and driving style.. :D

I suppose the alternative to Ti is to use Iconel, which if a full Turbo back Ti system was Stuuuupidly expensive then I was going to use an Inconel downpipe - however even using Iconel would not bring the overall price down by much..

The thing is I am not after a "cheap" solution here but really a more cost effective one, as soon as you mention Ti and custom in the UK you usually get a "teeth drying" sound and then the calculators go mental..I don't mind spending the money on a Ti system and to put it bluntly the car is getting to the point of running out on what can be stripped out while still keeping it safe.

I know Ti systems will cost lots and I am fine with that but I want a more cost effective solution rather than paying over inflated silly UK prices.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Another thing to consider when designing the exhaust is ground clearance, titanium tubing has a very thin section and can easily get damaged if it scrapes on anything (I had to get my titanium exhaust welded when it caught a speed bump), probably not an issue with yours as you have a full under tray but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Another thing to consider when designing the exhaust is ground clearance, titanium tubing has a very thin section and can easily get damaged if it scrapes on anything (I had to get my titanium exhaust welded when it caught a speed bump), probably not an issue with yours as you have a full under tray but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Ah yeah good point, the current exhaust I have does contact with the flat floor already on the car, while the flat floor takes the brunt of the abuse I have never liked the way the current exhaust is positioned. There is plenty of room to bring it up say a cm or so... something that I will have to remember to mention.

Quick update, Final machine polish of the Intake pipe is now completed, I can start putting the barriers onto it ready for adding the mould making materials.. (sorry for the quality of the pics)

attachment.php?attachmentid=185571&stc=1&d=1400054639

attachment.php?attachmentid=185572&stc=1&d=1400054639

I have also applied the first coat of gloss black onto the scuttle panel so this should be ready in the next couple of days to take a mould from as well.

attachment.php?attachmentid=185573&stc=1&d=1400054639

One stage closer to getting these into carbon fibre :D:d

IMAG0456_1.jpg

IMAG0451_1.jpg

IMAG0460_1.jpg

This cars has come along so much, really is a stunner mate! Such a weapon.

Found out the other day im moving close to you, will have to come have a cheaky peak of the car if your free at some point!

Cheers, Ha cool where abouts you moving too? Of course you can come and have a look :)

Chandlers ford, moving from Southampton. :)

Nice one, when you have moved let us know or if you want to pop over anyway thats cool with me :)

Did not have much time at the workshop last night so only managed to add the Wax barriers to either end of the Turbo intake tube and the oil breather hole. These wax barriers are only there so I can make a fully enclosed split mould. I now need to create the framework for the center line of the split mould so I can do the first half of the mould.

attachment.php?attachmentid=185608&stc=1&d=1400140981

attachment.php?attachmentid=185607&stc=1&d=1400140981

The Scuttle panel still needed more work so had to rub it down again, it seems I am either too picky or someone keeps putting imperfections in it overnight :)

IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Right I have been having a nice chat with a fabrication company who are interested in doing the Ti exhaust, and on early indications seem to be well priced for a UK based company, I have to take some measurements this weekend but it looks good so far.

I feel that things may move quicker than I thought on this :D

Added Reference dots for when the mould goes back together.

attachment.php?attachmentid=185706&stc=1&d=1400341862

Added first layer of Tooling Gelcoat

attachment.php?attachmentid=185707&stc=1&d=1400341862

Wet sanded the scuttle panel

attachment.php?attachmentid=185708&stc=1&d=1400341862

After one Polish

attachment.php?attachmentid=185709&stc=1&d=1400341862

After 4 polishes and 5 layers of wax..

attachment.php?attachmentid=185710&stc=1&d=1400341862

So tomorrow once the gelcoat has hardened I will add the first layer of Fiber Glass with a coupling resin, then after 2 or 3 hours will add the rest of the layers of Fiber Glass with the Tooling Resin. Then once that has set that's the first half done.

IMAG0479.jpg

IMAG0483.jpg

IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg