The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garaging your Supra - Check List

Geo

I've laid mine up for 9 months before, all I did was disconnect the battery and then manually roll it a foot forward or backward about every 2 months to avoid flatspotting the tyres. I had to charge the battery when I resurrected it, but the tyres were fine. Started first go :) I used the handbrake as well, but it was garaged.

-Ian

Oh to be able to afford 2 cars...

You will probably find you may save money with 2 cars (fair enough you need to purchase a 2nd car)

My insurance for 2 cars is cheaper than 1, petrol and general running costs for my 2nd car (rav4) are 1/3rd of what they are for the supra.

You will probably find you may save money with 2 cars (fair enough you need to purchase a 2nd car)

My insurance for 2 cars is cheaper than 1, petrol and general running costs for my 2nd car (rav4) are 1/3rd of what they are for the supra.

The astra paid for itself in 4 months in what it saved me in fuel not running the supra. Plus I can go places now and not have to spend ages looking for a nice parking space to then worrying if somebody will door it.

I guess a cheap enough car would pay for itself over time, but then there's the tax, repairs/maintenance, the fact I don't have a driveway or garage...

I'd rather sink decent money into the sup giving it the love it needs rather than split my money halfways between two cars and get substandard stuff.

Then again, when the missus learns to drive... jackpot!

A few years back I picked up a TDi passat for £1k and had that as my main car and kept my MR2 as a weekend toy. didnt really work out that expensive tbh, the passat never needed anything doing to it, and did loads of miles to a tank. It was a heap yes, but I didnt have to worry about it.

Took commuting off the MR2 policy and it dropped it right back. Then again I pay off insurance and tax for a year anyways.

its surprising what you can pick up for a few hunderd pounds at the moment! My friend has a corsa D with winter tyres on, cost him £300 a few years back and its still going strong! unstoppable in the snow as well.

• 2 months later...
A few years back I picked up a TDi passat for £1k and had that as my main car and kept my MR2 as a weekend toy. didnt really work out that expensive tbh, the passat never needed anything doing to it, and did loads of miles to a tank. It was a heap yes, but I didnt have to worry about it.

Took commuting off the MR2 policy and it dropped it right back. Then again I pay off insurance and tax for a year anyways.

its surprising what you can pick up for a few hunderd pounds at the moment! My friend has a corsa D with winter tyres on, cost him £300 a few years back and its still going strong! unstoppable in the snow as well.

i got this for 400 quid in glasgow 2 months ago... apart from the coilpack going (ebay 14 quid) its runs well :D drops your insurance aswell!! prob be rubbish in the snow mind you lol :p image

bm.jpg

Edited by supra digsey
problems loading photo (see edit history)

For me it was

1) wash and dry the car

2) Dodo juice paint cleaner applied then 3 layers of Dodo juice wax done over a few weeks. Also gave the engine a quick buff.

3) car in the garage with handbrake off in gear with my trusty post-it note on dash saying IN GEAR lol ( just in case )

4) battery taken out and put on charge over night, will be left out of the car for extra security..

5) car all locked, car cover on.....

All done

When it goes back on the road I will give it a oil change, check the tyre pressures etc etc

I don't think it will be coming out next year though as I'm getting a bike to play with. I might get some weekend insurance and bring it to a show or two but we will see..

Finally got mine back undercover yesterday.

She came out for a play about 3 weeks ago and has been left out open to the elements since as it was always planned that she would have a service before she went away. Finally got the service done by M_Life on Thursday and planned to wash and cover on the Friday morning. Sods law, it put an inch of snow down on Thursday night and then another inch or so between 9.00 and 12.00.

Made a decision at 2pm, that I would wash and dry her and get her covered up. All was going well until I realised that the water on the car was freezing before I could dry it..!!

After an hour or so of getting warm towels to melt the ice and mop up the water I got her under cover, it's a good job too as the weather has not turned way too cold to do any kind of cleaning now. My only mistake may have been that I left the handbrake on so I will have to release it tomorrow ideally.

H.

Just to kinda add...

Fuel;

Fill your fuel tanks - By filling to maximum and hence reducing the air space to a minimum you have reduced the water vapour to a minimum and increased the fuel dilution of any remaining water to a maximum.

Turning Over:

The caveat on "turning it over a few times" is that the system must reach full temp.

That way moisture is neither in the exhaust system corroding it or in the oil along with incomplete combustion products leading to acidic oil (they are fully vented after a run at operating temp).

90% of your engine wear happens at startup" is absolutely true, but is less to to with "grinding engine parts" and more to do with combustion.

When the combustion gases burn, they form acids which are highly corrosive when their vapours condense. These acids collect in the upper cylinder areas where their temperature is raised above their dew point.

The acids condense and etch the cylinder walls and piston rings. In reality, this accounts for over 85% of engine wear, the other 15% being down to abrasion.

Without a full run to completely vaporise and evacuate these acid vapours you will do a lot more harm than good to your engine.

Just to kinda add...

Fuel;

Fill your fuel tanks - By filling to maximum and hence reducing the air space to a minimum you have reduced the water vapour to a minimum and increased the fuel dilution of any remaining water to a maximum.

Turning Over:

The caveat on "turning it over a few times" is that the system must reach full temp.

That way moisture is neither in the exhaust system corroding it or in the oil along with incomplete combustion products leading to acidic oil (they are fully vented after a run at operating temp).

90% of your engine wear happens at startup" is absolutely true, but is less to to with "grinding engine parts" and more to do with combustion.

When the combustion gases burn, they form acids which are highly corrosive when their vapours condense. These acids collect in the upper cylinder areas where their temperature is raised above their dew point.

The acids condense and etch the cylinder walls and piston rings. In reality, this accounts for over 85% of engine wear, the other 15% being down to abrasion.

Without a full run to completely vaporise and evacuate these acid vapours you will do a lot more harm than good to your engine.

Daman when you say full run and upto fully temp, do you mean taken out for a drive, until the temps are fully up??

and if you cant do the above, then to just leave her until you can?

Yeah I'd say thats what he means bud best to start up and drive to full temp rather than just leave it sitting running to make sure water vapour etc has gone.

Good idea about the full tank of fuel i never thought of water vapour in the tank. I'll have mine on the drive as usual and run it on dry days through winter it's bad enough my bikes parked up for the season i cant cope with the car out the picture aswell lol

I have to say reading this thread I think we are all nuts.

I too always keep my car in the garage and I never take it out if the roads are wet, and most definately never take it out if its raining.

I did swear that I would use my new car more, but have fell into the trap of trying to keep it immaculate for the fear of the devil (rust) starting due to our rubbish climate.

I found myself even looking at car coons the other day, I must be bloody mental!

Driving will get her up to temperature quicker, so ideally, yes.

Otherwise, leave her on tickeover if you cant take her for a run :)

Daman when you say full run and upto fully temp, do you mean taken out for a drive, until the temps are fully up??

and if you cant do the above, then to just leave her until you can?