The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Well, I have had better days! UPDATED

CJ

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had meant to post up previously but forgot. This latest "issue" has come about after having my blackberry phone (kindly supplied at an ace price by TomS) stolen from my rucksack whist I was on the beach and having my tips jar containing 140.00 euro nicked from the bar.

Ah well, they say bad stuff comes in 3's and so lets hope that's me done for a while!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, the news isn't treat I'm afraid. I waited for the first surgeon to confirm the date of the 5th and eventually she came back to me this week to tell me that after looking at my case her and her colleague have decided that rather than perform the EMR procedure, she would now recommend invasive surgery. When I questioned why she sort of mumbled something along the lines of "that is what is needed" and then hit me for 6 by telling me it would cost 14k euro! :(

I immediately phoned surgeon number 2 and after sending him copies of my scans and reports etc he called me back and he too suggested that I have invasive surgery as opposed to EMR but this time he gave me his reasons.

Apparently there is an enlarged Lymph node showing up outside the oesophagus and that is causing concern as they cannot establish whether this enlargement is due to cancer or just normal circumstances. He said he could ignore that and just do the EMR but if that node is malignant then in 2 / 3 months time I will be desperately ill and he didnt want to take the risk.

He then told me my options of paying privately or trying the Greek NHS (IKA) system but when he learned that I am still registered as a patient in the UK he didn't hesitate to recommend me travelling back to the UK to get the treatment there and so, to this end, I am flying back next Thursday 15th and have an appointment with the Docs the following Tuesday. I have already sent him copies of my scans etc and so that hopefully will give me a head start.

Fingers crossed eh?

Col, that's actually good news in a way. They have had a good look and after scouring your scans this is the biggest problem they have seen, and it could have been much worse than this. It's not evidence of metastasisation (or "spreading" to us laypeople :D ), it's just* an enlarged lymph node which can and will easily be removed. Yes, it's invasive surgery, but you'll be able to show off the scars for decades to come ;) Small price to pay, matey :)

In my experience the NHS don't mess about when it comes to the C word. You'll be in good hands.

-Ian

*I say 'just', but you know what I mean :)

As Ian said it's a bit of mixed news mate. Always going to see the negative side of it but have a look at the "what if" side of things. It'll be done, it'll be dusted, you'll freeze your ass off for a little while in Sunny Britain then you'll be back behind the bar wondering what all the fuss was about.

Good luck with it all mate, thoughts are with you :)

As Ian said it's a bit of mixed news mate. Always going to see the negative side of it but have a look at the "what if" side of things. It'll be done, it'll be dusted, you'll freeze your ass off for a little while in Sunny Britain then you'll be back behind the bar wondering what all the fuss was about.

Good luck with it all mate, thoughts are with you :)

Thank you my friend

I am back in the UK and go to th4e Docs next Tuesday. I then get an express referral which should mean i will be in front of an oncologist within 5 days. Hopefully treatment starts soon after.

I found this and thought it quite apt:

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/iliveonkos/cancer.jpg

Are you up for a meet, maybe next weekend?

We will understand if you don't fancy it..!!

H.