The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Well, I have had better days! UPDATED

CJ

You realise we expect pics now.

I'm afraid I dont need to see pictures of a naked Colin again, the first time was bad enough, its taken me the 8 years to get over it.

Wishing you all the best CJ. You know the club is here if you need anything. When my dad was being treated for cancer he had good days and bad days. He was 56 when he got cancer, it is his 74th birthday next year.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to put a nice big grinning smiley thingy on the last post but using my lendsy Iphone is proving to be more difficult than my non techy brain can cope with. :D

Once again, thanks for all the kind words and John, sorry for the mammari...I mean, memories! :D

It does indeed and a hairless scrotum takes a bit of getting used to :D Unfortunately, when you stop chemo it grows back twice as fast, thick and long as it was before (as do your finger and toe nails ????). But then your eye brows fall out, go figure. Chin up mate, I know exactly what your going through.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

After meeting with the surgeon and him telling me the cancer had metastasised into bone area I then met with the oncologist at Velindre cancer care hospital last Friday and she gave me the devastating news that my condition is terminal with a life expectancy of between 6 and 12 months.

If you could see me you would not believe this as I look fit and well and also feel like that too. To say I was devastated would be an understatement and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. To this end I wrote to the oncologist requesting to know the reasoning behind the prognosis, the reasons why she feels surgery and/or chemotherapy and radiotherapy cannot arrest the disease and whether there is any hope whatsoever of remission?

I also organised a meeting with my surgeon for today as during our last meeting he had told me that the onset of the bone cancer meant a different course of treatment he never indicated that it was terminal and, in fact, had already scheduled another meeting for the 6th December to discuss what the next course of action would be.

I also wrote to what is reputed to be the leading cancer care hospital in the country at Newcastle asking them to look at my case and give me a second opinion. Clutching at straws? Definitely - and I will continue to do so until all hope is exhausted.

So, that brings me up to today:

Well, what a difference a few days (and a new meeting) make.

I have not long come out from my meeting with the surgeon who is looking after my case and his prognosis is far more positive than my oncologist.

Firstly, he and his nurse (my cancer nurse and first point of contact) will only ever use the expression terminal when the patient has about 3 weeks to live. Secondly, he has explained (as best he could) the reasons behind the oncologist giving the 6 - 12 months prediction.

He has stated that the figures are taken from studies made over a period of time and are median results. But, those studies do not take into account the patients individual demeanour, their state of illness, their fitness etc. He has stated that in his opinion, the 6 - 12 month rule certainly does not apply to me - woohoo!

However, with all that said, it wasn't all sweetness and light. In all probability surgery on the primary tumour in the oesophagus is now out of the question due to the spread of the disease to other areas. And so, the term palliative care is still in place but that could well mean palliative care going on for years as they are hoping the chemotherapy and radiotherapy will shrink the tumour(s), kill lots of cancer cells and therefore arrest the spread. In rare cases (as in extremely rare) people with my condition sometimes find that the radio therapy kills the tumours in the bone area, shrinks the tumour in the oesophagus and does allow surgery to take place on the main tumour but the chances of that happening are very slim indeed. So, certainly not out of the woods by a long shot but a far more hopeful prognosis than last Friday!

I've also had a call from the Cancer hospital and chemotherapy starts next week. Operation fight back begins with a vengeance then!

I can't believe what I just read there CJ, honestly I'm lost for words mate.

I never seen the word terminal coming never mind you. I can only imagine how you felt that day mate, these people really need to understand that some people NEED the details to their prognosis. They can't just throw around words and timescales like that. I know there is a seperation required to be in that sort of job but that's shocking the way they landed that one on you.

Thankfully the outlook isn't quite as bleak as it was put to you at first.

What a chin you have mate, if I was wearing one I would honestly take my hat off to you.

Keep doing what you're doing mate, your attitude and fight is fantastic and truely inspirational to other people in similar situations.

Col, that really made unpleasant reading, and is obviously no comparison to how you were and are feeling though.

I'm very glad and impressed you challanged and asked for clarity as it's all too easy not to.

So hopefully you've hit that curveball out of the ground and can now concentrate on what ypu need to do.

Thinking of you :)

Rob

Holy moly Col, as others had said i was shocked to see the T word, but I guess not as much as you were.

I can't believe that two departments dealing with the same people have such a current way of treating people.

I am amazed that you've keep such a positive attitude during what must be the toughest time, but then that's the Col we know and love. :)

Im feeling much more positive after today's meeting. So much so I went out and bought a 12 month tv license and a box set DVD! :-)

Nice. :)

Keep doing what you're doing mate, your attitude and fight is fantastic and truely inspirational to other people in similar situations.

This.

Many people would throw in the towel at that point, but your fight and determination is inspirational. Major respect for you sir.

Keep fighting it bud, and I wish you all the best.

Thanks For the kind words folks. The way I see it, Whilst the latest meeting with the surgeon was not the best news, the terminal bit with the oncologist was a damn site worse.

Really, I'm no worse off now than before meeting the oncologist and so the plan is the same. Chemo for a few months and then see how much of the bastard disease we have killed before looking at the next stage!

Onwards and upwards!!