The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Child with Autism. The on going thread

The Raven

My mate's little boy's autistic aswell. Has EXACTLY this problem with sleeping! I think the method he uses is go to bed at the same time so he gets a few hours at least whilst Alfie's asleep. And when he gets woken up, he drinks coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Lol

Not sure he does it so much now as being at school all day now he's 5 knackers him out that bit more. I knowa year or so ago (when he lived next door to me) they were up at all hours whilst Alfie screamed the house down and ran about like a lunatic!

Let's hope it's a phase huh? :)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate's little boy's autistic aswell. Has EXACTLY this problem with sleeping! I think the method he uses is go to bed at the same time so he gets a few hours at least whilst Alfie's asleep. And when he gets woken up, he drinks coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Lol

Not sure he does it so much now as being at school all day now he's 5 knackers him out that bit more. I knowa year or so ago (when he lived next door to me) they were up at all hours whilst Alfie screamed the house down and ran about like a lunatic!

Let's hope it's a phase huh? :)

Yeah, i can only say my life right now is work, sleep. In that order.

I have stopped going to the gym, my supra is in a lock up where it has been for the past 6 months broken, i have an MR2 as a run around thats leaking PS fulid but i cant even bring myself to look at that so i just keep topping it up. I dont go out alot anyway but what little i did is now replaced with a DVD at 7 then bed.

Just having one of those days where i want to hide in a small dark space and hope everything turns out ok.

Well after nath broke the record for not sleeping i have to tell everyone that will listen.

At around 11pm he woke up and was WIDE awake. He continued to run/play/scream and be full of himself until 4am ish. I can now see how they use lack of sleep on POWs i am ready to sign my soul over about now.

The answer from the pros? Drug him.........hes 3 years old FFS not happening

Avoid Ritalin and other SSRI's at all costs. Vaccines as well, as previously advised.

Really hope things get better. You seem to be coping a lot better than I would! And the little one is learning well :D totally agree with you not to drug him, they are not the answer. Proof of this from me and my girlfriend, they nearly killed her with her insulin dosage and told me I was basically on a drug for life. Did my research on the drug, 2 weeks maximum otherwise it causes major bodily harm.... So yea word of warning, some doctors aren't interested in your well being...

Really hope things get better. You seem to be coping a lot better than I would! And the little one is learning well :D totally agree with you not to drug him, they are not the answer. Proof of this from me and my girlfriend, they nearly killed her with her insulin dosage and told me I was basically on a drug for life. Did my research on the drug, 2 weeks maximum otherwise it causes major bodily harm.... So yea word of warning, some doctors aren't interested in your well being...

Id rather be up everyday for month than force feed him drugs so i can go to sleep. He has enough problems as it is.

• 1 month later...

A month or so gone time to update.

Again im sorry if this brings peoples days down or its not the place to be putting stuff like this but once again i find it hard to express my feelings to friends who dont understand, or worse dont care, example of this is i got though another friend that someone i have known since the age of 5 will not come over to see me as i dont go and see him. I dont have the time to do these things! he is married no kids and works a "normal" job. I cant just pack nath up and take him around to sit and play xbox like we used to, im starting to think this is case with alot of my so called mates.

Nath has hit a kind of road block he does not seem to be moving on anymore. We are pushing forward in his work play, and he seems to have lost some skills he had. I am going to have to talk to the pre school he goes to to find out why.

Still no speech, im starting to accept that i may never be able to talk to my son. Which is a harsh thing to come to terms with. Worse still i find myself avoiding places where other children play as it makes me feel awful.

I went to a disabled night at a local play center the other day, out of 40 familys there was 2 males inc me the reason? lets hold it at 4pm as you can guess the dads are working!.

I think i might have to start a dads club! what really pisses me off is when i go to pick my son up or attend a appointment with him and i get "tell kelly (the wife) blah blah" news flash im his dad i can look after him!

Then they wonder why alot of these dads leave or diconnect from the familys, the problem is they are pushed out all the time by the people supposed to be helping.

I can't put my finger on it, but I really like reading your updates about your son. Maybe it puts my minor troubles in perspective, I don't know. I genuinely wish I could suggest something useful, but I can't. It's in my nature to try and suggest solutions to things. I'm learning (slowly) that in these situations, what you sometimes need is someone who will listen to you (really listen, not just hear you) and empathise with all the stuff that's in your head. I'm saddened that your long-term friends aren't willing or able to provide that.

I can't add anything else, other than please keep us updated.

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

I see children with a range of problems, when i think im hard done by i remember seeing a dad carry a child into the play center so he could lean her up to the bubble tube, she was unable to move at all. Still makes me well up thinking about it. So what you see from me is no different.

I think im probably one unhappy sod to be around so maybe the mates thing is of my own doing, I dont do cars anymore so the car mates are out (Supra still broken MR2 is a shit heap) I make no effort to go to the gym anymore so that bunch are out, that only leaves the long term mates that ask about nath but i dont think they want to hear it as it makes them feel bad. They do it in a kinda passing way "hows nath" and arnt really ready for the answer they get.

Just having a real off day today.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Hey, chin up Mate!

Belief is a very powerful thing and I think that you need to read those Jenny McCarthy books I linked you to if you haven't already got them. There is always hope. ALL WAYS!

(To those who know her as a model, t.v. presenter and actress, Jenny also had an autistic child and wrote books about how she helped her son/daughter, I forget which, to massively improve their condition and to grow up normally).

I think you should definitely start a Dad's group if there's a demand for it and it will catch on like wildfire. Just ask whoever has the biggest house if they'll host the meets, maybe teaching them football or outside activities now that summer's coming.

Sharing in each other's joys and frustrations should also help to give you more perspective and maybe gain comfort and knowledge from the progress of another member's child.

As I like to keep abreast of things, I listen to Woman's hour on Radio 4 during my morning break in the carpark and they have some guests on who have said the same thing as you; "I realised that there was no (fill in the blank) support group near me so I started one myself and it just ballooned from there".

Maybe you'll end up being a spokesperson like those 'Dad's For Justice' guys.

It could very well lead to political change if there's sex discrimination in the parenting/caring arena. Women are definitely on a crusade for equality and nothing wrong with that but let's face it, men haven't been traditionally known for being willing nappy changers etc. after a hard day's graft.

I say go for it; you and your group might even change history. Pioneers always do.....

No pressure though!

:D

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

I see children with a range of problems, when i think im hard done by i remember seeing a dad carry a child into the play center so he could lean her up to the bubble tube, she was unable to move at all. Still makes me well up thinking about it. So what you see from me is no different.

I think im probably one unhappy sod to be around so maybe the mates thing is of my own doing, I dont do cars anymore so the car mates are out (Supra still broken MR2 is a shit heap) I make no effort to go to the gym anymore so that bunch are out, that only leaves the long term mates that ask about nath but i dont think they want to hear it as it makes them feel bad. They do it in a kinda passing way "hows nath" and arnt really ready for the answer they get.

Just having a real off day today.

Russ, how big is your driveway?

Thanks guys. Getting the car fixed isnt really an issue in itself i can afford to do it i guess. Its more the stress of finding out its a total loss. I know that probably sounds really stupid but im tending to push things away that cause anymore grief in my life. Hence the car not getting worked on if i dont see it, i can forget it, if i forget it then its not a problem if its not a problem then i dont have to worry about it.

Anyone that gets the supra running can take the tbar mr2 as payment. It has mot and tax probably worth 600 pound

Well just thought id let you know i have made a change for the better, The disabled play night now has a play hour, 9am on a weekend till 10. Seems some people listen im hoping to see a few more dads turn up tomorrow.

Once again a huge thanks for letting me rant on about this stuff.

We have Sign Language!!!

Nath is now using his "more" and "please" signs, athough sometimes he gets mixed up atleast its a start.

I have just read this thread and it breaks my heart :( You are an inspiration with your hard work and dedication, your son will have a better life because of you and your wife. :thumbs:

Great!

That's a really good errrrm........ :taped:

I dont get it? It is really good that he is using it and in a little context to. Got his statementing process though today. Seems a bod comes and looks at him and then makes his mind up about sending him to a S/N school.

I would suggest he does or i will hulk smash him into next week

I dont get it? It is really good that he is using it and in a little context to. Got his statementing process though today. Seems a bod comes and looks at him and then makes his mind up about sending him to a S/N school.

I would suggest he does or i will hulk smash him into next week

:D

Wear a really tight vest and then rip it if he starts giving you the wrong answers.

O now i get it bit slow on the uptake there

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2293579/Would-disabled-son-allow-children-chance-happiness.html

As i sit here at 3 am with a wide awake son some of the things in this make me feel sick. So she didnt like being looked at? She wasnt in her high flying job? Dont get me wrong if they couldnt cope then fair enough but it comes over really badly