The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Child with Autism. The on going thread

The Raven

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]197528[/ATTACH]

Nath in his car, and me crashing him into a hole. He likes it but its a bit slow, i wonder if i could mod it and make it go faster?

Im quiting my job in the next few weeks, pending being accepted to work with young disabled adults in day care. Stepping stone to get into Nath special needs school

Could possibly change the motors and give it some more power from more batteries =D Its great he likes the car( next he will be driving the supra ;) ), did it take him a while to get in it or did he want to get straight into it?

Good luck with the new job!

Funny enough he got straight into it. He can't drive it yet so I have to

It's got two 12v battery's one for each wheel I would guess adding a 3rd would work.

I'm going over to see the place I want to work next week. The money is shite and its day work but I can then study to get my new I need to work at maths school and for once I may feel that I'm doing something worthwhile

I had along talk with my dad today.

We dont talk about emotional stuff at all, i explained that im afraid of the future, that if something happens to me and my wife nath will have to be looked after. So i have upped my life insurance, left him to my sister, and altered a few things. Not a nice thing to have to look at but i feel better for doing it.

That depressing bit aside it was his birthday today, he went to a large soft play center, and swimming, ate chocolate, had a MC Donalds and watched me played Mario kart..All his faveroute things he should sleep well tonight

The never ending fight continues, his hearing test under general i posted about a few pages back has not come though yet.

So much ringing around i find out he was never referred. I know people are human and mistakes happen but im pissed. Monday i have a appointment with his doctor at the hospital and i will raise the questions then. Jerks

• 3 weeks later...

Well back again,

Not alot on naths front, he did have his hair cut like a boss the other day no fight nothing, he also helped put together a jigsaw.

I quit my job, closed the company and im now awaiting an interview at the kent autistic trust. The offer a day center for people who have just left school. I will be looking after them, helping them, and teaching them life skills. Im also volunteering at naths school after i was advised that was the best way to be considered for a teaching assistants jobs there which is my end game.

Makes things feel a bit better that i might be able to turn some of this into a good thing

I had to google altruistic, thanks for the kind words.

If you think that everything happens for a reason then the point of it all is that i might be able to change someones future, or stop some of the stuff that happened to us happening to someone else. I want to work in nursery if possible the level of job satisfaction will be amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

Back again.

Nath did quite a major thing this week. For nearly ever he has refused to touch and or play with sand, Well we figured that wasnt going to fly for ever so went to beach again in the nice weather, he got sand in his shoes. So we took them off bare foot style. He took a few steps and stopped to try and get the sand off. A little bit of encouragement and he started to walk then run on the dry sand, then onto the wet sand then into the sea.

Another one crossed off!

I went to a day interview with the trust where i met a great bunch of guys and worked with one of the service users, we went to a huge soft play center and trampolining. I have been offered the job! I also have a meeting with the head of naths school next week, ive been asked to play santa for them this xmas to, cant wait!

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Back again.

Nath did quite a major thing this week. For nearly ever he has refused to touch and or play with sand, Well we figured that wasnt going to fly for ever so went to beach again in the nice weather, he got sand in his shoes. So we took them off bare foot style. He took a few steps and stopped to try and get the sand off. A little bit of encouragement and he started to walk then run on the dry sand, then onto the wet sand then into the sea.

Another one crossed off!

I went to a day interview with the trust where i met a great bunch of guys and worked with one of the service users, we went to a huge soft play center and trampolining. I have been offered the job! I also have a meeting with the head of naths school next week, ive been asked to play santa for them this xmas to, cant wait!

Great to see you making good positive process !!

What is the meeting at the school regarding ? a Job ?

It's good you can use this experiences to forge a new career to aid caring for both your son, and other children with similar difficulties. Reading this thread makes me feel so ignorant to how lucky we are to come on this forum to either chat/moan about car problems etc.... not really a massive life issue when it all boils down to it.

:thumbs:

It's good you can use this experiences to forge a new career to aid caring for both your son, and other children with similar difficulties. Reading this thread makes me feel so ignorant to how lucky we are to come on this forum to either chat/moan about car problems etc.... not really a massive life issue when it all boils down to it.

:thumbs:

Dont worry i still come here to moan about car issues!

• 1 month later...

Nath had his review just before the hoildays.

He has done very well in his new class, the teacher moved him up a level, but the head of the dept moved him up another. The all love him at school and say he is a joy to be around.

He did something for the first time the other day, he took my wifes hand, took her out to the drive, to my supra she opened the door and he got in and closed the door. He was clearly trying to ask to go out somewhere. I have now finished the back garden and made it safe for him to go out there alone.

Its hard for me to leave the back door open and just let him get on with it but hes 6 so he needs some independence

Nath had his review just before the hoildays.

He has done very well in his new class, the teacher moved him up a level, but the head of the dept moved him up another. The all love him at school and say he is a joy to be around.

He did something for the first time the other day, he took my wifes hand, took her out to the drive, to my supra she opened the door and he got in and closed the door. He was clearly trying to ask to go out somewhere. I have now finished the back garden and made it safe for him to go out there alone.

Its hard for me to leave the back door open and just let him get on with it but hes 6 so he needs some independence

Seems like things are going well and not that I have been a parent but my guessing is that its always a little hard to let your child out of your close protection.

I hope you took him out in the Supra ? Does he show an interest when your working on it ?

Its broken again, He loves the roof off and the air, he will hold his hands up out the roof like a roller coaster. Alas he shows no sign of car love other than that.

i did take him out to the park. Im hoping he will learn to communicate if he works out he can get stuff by asking.

Im not sure but i think the record might have been broken,

Nath work up at 12 last night, and didn't go back to sleep! not content with that he then went to school and went to the zoo! only fell asleep on the way back to school about 2ish, i picked him up at 3pm and woke him up.

He shows no signs of being sleepy.

Tears where shed today, even monster by the gallon wont replace sleep. So the plan is bath put nath to bed and go to bed ourselves.

If they could find out what makes him stay awake in the face of what must be exhaustion they could make a so much money.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Been a good 4 months since i posted a update.

Work is going well i am now supporting young adults in a day center, sometimes its great sometimes not so much. The rewards of a good day out weight the bad ones.

Nath has been failed by his speech and language sadly. They seem to think that carrying out class sessions will help him. Alas you have you everyone using different methods of communication in the class so its impossible. Added to that the SL seem to leave after 4 months. The result is i have a little boy who is now trying very hard to talk but unable to. This is imo unacceptable so i have a meeting in the next few weeks ot raise concerns.

So i am going to push for one to one therapy i guess if that fail i will have to find out how to or who to pay in order to get it sorted for him. It seems that this is going to be a life long struggle, once you think everything is sorted something else comes up. Seconds out round 12?

Other than that he is still a really happy little boy, which i guess at the end of it all is all that matters