The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Child with Autism. The on going thread

The Raven

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do its quite nice to be able to write about things like this, way to vent so to speak.

He is getting the hang of the pictures on the fridge, today he gave the wife the drink sign then worked out he ment he wanted breakfast and put it back and got the food one.

Speech are still dragging heels, but we have someone coming over to help us fill out the DLA forms for him.

• 3 months later...

Bumpy time.

Nath is now able to choose from 6 different pictures and bring them to an adult in order to watch his cartoons on youtube. He picked it up easy, finding it hard to adapt this to more meaningful things, Food choice ect.

The DLA still have not made their minds up about his level. D*cks 16 weeks and counting.

He is down to join a pre school that only has kids with autism. A very strange place to see 10 little boys like my son running around!

Still no words, more sounds and different pitches coming out so maybe hes getting ready to talk.

He now has a http://www.boots.com/en/Maclaren-Major-Elite-Pushchair-Charcoal-Scarlet_868697/?CAWELAID=334514776&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-Maclaren%20Major%20Elite%20Pushchair%20%20Charcoal%20%20Scarlet

Making life alot better for all concerned!

WATCH THAT! hope is there no matter how bad it gets

• 2 months later...

Thought its time to bump this,

You may or may not have seen i have not been around alot of late, My car wont move and i have not had time to fix it yet and seeing other supras on the forum only spured me on to burn it.

Nathan is now 3 1/2 He still cant talk (we get a towa instead of toes) so he has started to speak all be thats the only word he has.

The DLA have turned him down for high rate twice now so we have done the final push failing that its court. Jerks.

He starts at his autism playschool in a few weeks time so im hoping to see an improvement in his speech or signing.

We have now sorted tescos, he used to try and run away as fast as possible as soon as possible. With him getting bigger he no longer fits in the trolley so we have been working with him on pushing it and helping load it. This seems to have worked a treat.

We found out the other day he knows his numbers, this was a trial and error type deal we held up flash cards and asked him to pick 1 then 2 ect bless him he got them all right. We think hes picked up from tv and books we read to him but he cant tell us so its hard.

I do sometimes wonder what else he can do or knows thats hidden.

He will now go outside without shoes. This 3 months ago would not have happened we have been working with OT or helping him feel grounded and it seems to be paying off.

He loves puzzles and has worked out how duplo works.

His life is a busy one with somewhere to be everyday of the week be it playschool OT or speech. I summed it up to someone who asked how we juggle it all with this

"If in 20 years time nathan is unable to live on his own then so be it. However i need to be able to look at myself everyday and know i did everything i could to help him"

Onwards and upwards

Nathan

3 1/2

nath ball pit.jpg

When I was at uni (psyche degree), I worked with a severely autistic boy for 6 months. He was 5 yrs old and had no speech whatsoever. He had a teacher (like me) for 6 hours every day Mon-Sat (his parents sold a valuable property in London to fund this).

We sat one-on-one and conducted lessons with him. These generally involved getting him to perform a task for a reward (think positive reinforcement). He had a salt/savoury palette, so he used to get things like food treats or music and free time as a reward. The tasks I'm sure he saw as games anyway. He had to sort items into tubs (never seen such clever sorting, or so fast!), or match photographs with the right name of the person. Some tasks involved him pointing to items etc etc. As he got the hang of a task, he'd also have to ask for a specific reward using a book with velcro words (eg, crisps, crackers, etc).

As time went on we tried to reinforce his speech using these games. Progress was slow and some days were bad, but he was a very happy little boy. The key things IMO were routine, music and the positive reinforcement. If he was naughty (which happened a bit - he'd go through phases of hitting his head on walls/floors etc), he'd be made to sit with no eye contact for a set period of time. It was hard work, but so rewarding and seeing his progress was great.

The main thing I realised was that he was happy because he knew no different. Keep fighting for him, enjoy the small things and the little victories.

:)

So true.

Little victories are the key.

Most dads want thier son to score a goal at football, I want mine to kick a football!

We take them when ever we can. Sounds like the lad understood PECS. Nathan is slowly using it to ask for foods we are goingt o try and see if he can ask for things to play with or places togo in the next few weeks.

Your quite right Nathan does not know there is anything wrong with him, nor does he care. I worked out along time ago that you tend to get upset for yourself not them. They dont really care and carry on happy as a result.

My lowest point was when i took him to the Zoo all the other kids his age where talking or pointing to animals ect, He just wanted to run and look at his hand. I cried and cried when i got home until the wife pointed out he was happy doing that and that he had a great time in doing so. After that i tend not to get so down about things, hes happy and smiley with little in the way of meltdowns.

He looks like he's really enjoying himself there! :)

Do you have a speak & spell type machine? Something that can count and get him to repeat the numbers it displays? It seems to me that if he has more talent for numbers than words, you will make more progress using numbers to teach him to speak? Whatever interests him the most and holds his attention should be expanded, in other words, rather than trying to balance out various skills.

I just found out that Gary McKinnon who hacked into the Pentagon from his bedroom has Asperger's so Nathan might even find computers easy peasy. Focus on whatever holds his attention, as it's his natural inclination. I think we're too concerned with equality and forget that diversity is where progress comes from, not all being the same.

Does he show an interest in computer games like Tetris or maybe even chess?

• 5 weeks later...

Back again! with good news!

After a year of fighting he has now been awarded the high rate of DLA! Only another £20 a week but it helps with the things he needs. I indeed to use the back pay( they owed us since Jan!!!) to buy him a 6 foot bubble tube for his bedroom, and maybe some UV lighting.

He is fitting into his Austic Pre school well and seems to enjoy it. He continues to use his PECS but still has no speech.

• 1 month later...
Lol no I meant the centre. Oh I know thats round the corner a new big place they have built. Didnt know what it was for tho.

Thats the one, its kind of a one stop shop for disabled kids. All the people he needs to see are there and they have a soft play area and sensory room thats free to use

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update.

Nath got xmas a little bit. He wanted to open a few prezzies. We got him a leappad, he has now taken to finding it and brining it to us to use. While the games are a little hard for him to understand they are helping him point with his finger which is a good thing. It looks like he wont be able to attend a main stream school but they are building a new school in a years time.

Just great hearing how he is progressing and getting on - please do keep this going (just in case you ever thought otherwise!)

BTW - Could you use another bubble tube for the little chap or for his school? I have one that is sitting here and unused for an age - not hugely stable but guess OK with a bracket or somesuch thing?

Cheers

Paul

Just great hearing how he is progressing and getting on - please do keep this going (just in case you ever thought otherwise!)

BTW - Could you use another bubble tube for the little chap or for his school? I have one that is sitting here and unused for an age - not hugely stable but guess OK with a bracket or somesuch thing?

Cheers

Paul

I know a little boy that would love a bubble tube. PM the details please?

• 3 weeks later...

Well after nath broke the record for not sleeping i have to tell everyone that will listen.

At around 11pm he woke up and was WIDE awake. He continued to run/play/scream and be full of himself until 4am ish. I can now see how they use lack of sleep on POWs i am ready to sign my soul over about now.

The answer from the pros? Drug him.........hes 3 years old FFS not happening