The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Child with Autism. The on going thread

The Raven

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this out too if you haven't seen it yet. You might discover a particular exercise that your son is really good at and build on it, increasing his confidence in other areas.

http://www.lumosity.com/

There's bound to be something he'll enjoy.

Btw, it's free to sign up and use but you will get emails encouraging you to use it more than you'll have time for but it's all very well presented and good fun.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Well been in a real low spot past week, there is only so long you can put as brave face on things. Nath is fine but i kinda fell apart last week the feeling of being helpless just knocked me for six. Started to think about all things i will never be able to do with him, or experance with him. What happens if im not able to care for him when he gets older. Added work stress ment i stopped doing anything i enjoy again, which made it all worse.

So i ended up at the docs this week after probably putting it off for way to long. I started on therapy monday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since i posted, nath has settled into school very well.

However he came home limping badly the other day, fears are its related to his hip problem a pages back. He is now going to see a orthopaedic surgeon. If its not one thing its another,

From a personal point of view i have removed myself from my Meds and i feel i dont need them anymore. Feeling ok with it all and moving forward

Been a while since i posted, nath has settled into school very well.

However he came home limping badly the other day, fears are its related to his hip problem a pages back. He is now going to see a orthopaedic surgeon. If its not one thing its another,

From a personal point of view i have removed myself from my Meds and i feel i dont need them anymore. Feeling ok with it all and moving forward

Sorry to hear you've got more on your plate :( glad you're off the meds though. I stopped taking a prescribed meds and it made me much better. IMO drugs don't solve anything. Much like a bodged bit of workmanship!

Hopefully all is good at the doctors :)

Sorry to hear you've got more on your plate :( glad you're off the meds though. I stopped taking a prescribed meds and it made me much better. IMO drugs don't solve anything. Much like a bodged bit of workmanship!

Hopefully all is good at the doctors :)

Cheers dude, better to find out now than stick your head in the sand

He has started removing people from his space now which is funny. He has thus far taken my mum who was interfering in his watching of mickey mouse by the hand took her to the door, waited for her to open it pushed her though and shut it.

Good for him :thumbs:

Ironically another basketball one

• 1 month later...

Nath had a good xmas, he seemed to get it a little bit, currently booked in for his MRI on both hips.

Hair cut time last night was not fun. Had to more or less pin him so the mrs could get the clippers, got an IPAD for xmas and he is now learning simple games on that. Has discovered light switches! so now when he wakes up at 2am, he turns all the lights on which is better than walking into things i guess.

Still loves climbing and running.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from center parcs with the family, what a great place for nath to be. Lots of climbing, swimming ect. He loved it! Was nice to find something i could do with him that he enjoyed.

Going to really try and crack the toilet training this summer. Its hard for school as the other 7 kids in his class are still in nappies to so they arnt learning from each other. He is still making an effort to "talk"ci ask him something and get a "ata ta" response, which is better than nothing at all.

Still waiting on his results from the MRI on his hips but nothing has happened since his last bout.

Just got back from center parcs with the family, what a great place for nath to be. Lots of climbing, swimming ect. He loved it! Was nice to find something i could do with him that he enjoyed.

Going to really try and crack the toilet training this summer. Its hard for school as the other 7 kids in his class are still in nappies to so they arnt learning from each other. He is still making an effort to "talk"ci ask him something and get a "ata ta" response, which is better than nothing at all.

Still waiting on his results from the MRI on his hips but nothing has happened since his last bout.

Nice to read this :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Little bit of a break though today. My sister came in to say hi nath got up from cuddling his mum ran over, gave her a kiss and went back to sitting with Kel.

First time he has ever done that without being asked.

The best news is his hip are fine, he always walks on his toes so its possible his muscles/nerves lock out making it impossible for him to walk sometimes.

Huge weight has been lifted!

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

More good news, nath was awarded the star of the week at school.

He is now doing his work try without much fuss, and was able to sit and play in sand (something he hated to even touch before) Downside he is is grinding his teeth more and more each day. He has to go to the dentist and be knocked out so they can see how much damage he has done.

Really really want to get him using the loo this summer as its one of his main stumbling blocks on the way to a normal life.

I appreciate that your circumstances are very different but I pottied trained my son in the summer. I simply let him run around with nothing on and showed him where the potty was. He was spot on with going for a wee. Opening his bowels was another matter. He would rush up to me saying "I pud, I pud"... So I'd go to empty the potty... nothing... One day I spent an hour looking for the "pud" (it was down the garden", another day it was on the back door step. He got there eventually :)

• 3 weeks later...

Went to naths yearly meeting today, he has done well in his first year at school, i dont know if im going soft or what but going to his school bring me close to tears, all those little kids with so many issues alot of them unable to move being feed though tubes, i come away thinking life isnt fair.

I think im becoming more bitter and twisted as time goes on. I have to belive that everything happens for a reason and that we got Nath because we can handle the daily grind. The ups and downs are so big they can make your week or crush you into a ball.

The IPad we got for him is good use now we have moved him on from popping bubbles game to simple matching and sorting games. IN a way he is so lucky he was born now with all the tech at hand. 10 years ago he woulnt have had anything. 20 years ago they would have tried to put him in a home, as time goes on the tech will get better for him and help him with his day to day life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've just ran the Lake District 'total warrior' 10k assault course yesterday for an autism charity that is based in the birth east. So for myself and the martial arts academy that sorted things have raised over £1200.

I was surprised how many children and family's are effected by it since my eyes were opened. Not totally clued up on it, but reads like Nath has the higher 'grades' (can't remember how the define it now so sorry for my dumbness if I'm wrong) of autism - certainly higher than the 3 kids I know.

Sounds like your doing a great job tho. 👍

Top man!

Nath has been classed as low functioning, which is about as bad as it gets along with chromosome deletion

The refusal to let is condition stop him from doing things is more or less why he can do the things he does. He still cant or wont speak, but he can go new places and meet new people without a problem. When he was small he would cry and scream, we figured he will have to go to tescos one day so push on thought. 3 months of screaming and dirty looks from people he gave up.

Swimming......o god....He cried for an hour every time for months but we kept going until he got used to and now loves the water. The worst thing you can do IMO is to say "its his autism" and quit or allow bad behavior. Much like his buggy, sure its easy to trap him in and push him around but i don't want to be pushing him when he is 20. So he walks, sure he trys to run away or refuse to move of "breaks down" but he never gets away with it for long.

• 1 month later...

Well summer hols are nearly over and we look like we made it.

Didnt crack the loo training, but we gave his major buggy away. We held onto it for a "just incase" moment. A friend uses one for her daughter as they cant walk and it broke. Kinda gave us the kick in the ass we needed to get shot of it.

His understanding is coming on. For example i will tell him to "hide" he will find the nearest cover or run to his room and jump under the quilt. His speech and PECS work however have all but ground to a halt again.

Im hoping that being in a new class with more able children (ie talking and using the loo) he will learn by watching them.

• 2 months later...

Well i dont know if anyone still reads this, but its handy for me to keep a record of all this stuff. In many ways its amazing to see how far he has come since i started logging all this.

Nath has settled into his new class and is enjoying school again. His Ipad work is amazing, he uses it to play but really im giving it to him with learning apps most ranged at 3-4 he seems to get how to do them and off he goes. I have started taking him swimming when ever i can. The local pool has decent size changing rooms and once he has his lifejacket on there is no stopping him.

Downside is that they cant test his hearing. Nath had 20 clear words at 2, by 3 they had all but gone. Now he cant form words even though he is trying to. We get alot of atata daada baby babble. So we wonder if he can hear the words. Well he wont have ear muffs on and does not understand the press button when you hear the beep tests.

So in January he will be going under a general where they will attach sensors to his head then play the tones, seems they can measure the response and do it that way. Last time he had to go under for his hip it was the worst thing ive ever done. They wont inject him so i have to more or less pin him down while they gas him asleep. Its so hard as he trusts me, but he does not know whats happening, then he goes limp in your arms.

Still if i didnt do it and found out at 15 he couldn't hear right id be inconsolable,

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

I read these as I find them an interesting read.

I think its good that you see the potential long term benefits of finding out about his hearing now, I personally would not phrase it as gassing him though as it has bad connotations, its just a general administered via a breathing mask.