RMC's Supra Cat d write off restoration ... hopefully

mclarenross

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update.

Well I've been doing quite a lot of work since my last update, I’ve nearly finished all of the sanding, plenty of elbow grease and I think Mr Myagi from “the Karate Kid” would be impressed with my wax on wax off technique! Going over the metalwork from 120 grit down to 1200 takes a long time, I’ve also spent a lot of time getting the body filler to mold into the metalwork – takes a lot of patience.

I also need to send a big thanks to Marc (SafcDixon) for selling me his Veilside front bumper, I’ve attached picture of before and after. Marc also gave me a couple of pointer on the body work and I’ve decided to mold all of the backend so that it looks like one piece. (same as Marc and looks excellent) pictures to follow.

Last weekend had the in-laws up and my father in law who’s nearly as big a petrol heads as me was very interested in my project and ended up buying me a professional paint gun – result. And the same weekend I managed to sand and prime the front and rear bumper as well as one of the doors.

I’m just finishing of the rest of the sanding and then I’ll be priming the body shell.

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Edited by mclarenross (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Time for another update….

I’ve attached the front bumper and molded this to the shell so the complete car now looks like one piece, which I’m pretty happy with… (I’m just hoping that when I hit my first pot hole, the whole thing doesn’t crack up!)

I have finished the primer on all the door and shell, (see photo’s) I think I must have put about 5 coats on and then sanded the whole lot back with wet and dry so that the whole car was ready for the final top coat of White, I bought all of my paint through Jewel Paints who did a great deal on 5 ltr of primer, 5 ltr of paint , 5ltr of thinners, 2.5 ltr of clear coat and I also went for some “bling” (that’s what Jewel call it, pretty much Flake to everyone else ) which will basically give it a sparkle in direct sunshine. (very experimental, considering I’ve never done a paint job before).

I’ve decided that I’m going to go for a carbon fibre front bonnet, with a carbon fibre roof (Vinyl) and the top piece of the rear wing will also be carbon fibre… basically a black stripe through the middle of the car.

I have then sprayed the top coat of white on with about 5 coats, it’s taken several weeks as I’ve had to do one coat every night when I come home from work.

As I didn’t know how to add the bling to the paint, I decided on mixing it with some white paint and thinners, which was a big mistake, what I didn’t think through was that the paint would coat the flake in white so once I had sprayed it on to the whole car I realised that the flake was all white! Disaster!, which meant a lot more sanding to remove this coat of flake, I was so annoyed!

Anyway after all that was done, I correctly added the flake to the clear coat paint and sprayed a couple of thin coats over the top. Started to look good, I’ve then put two more layers of clear coat (without flake) on until the whole paint is really smooth. I’m going to have to buy some polishing equipment now so that I can buff it now to a beautiful finish. I just need to get the boot out of the back shed now and do all of the above again and that will be paint finished!

A big thanks to “redsupraman82” whom I’ve recently purchased the engine and gearbox for this car. I found these on this forum under “parts for sale” and redsupraman was very helpful with palleting the engine and gearbox, throwing in the starter motor and a nearly new a/c pump plus being around for the courier to collect.

I’ve gone for another N/a engine with only 50K on it rather than my current tired engine and knackered gearbox. I’ll get this turbo’d and I’ll put a new clutch on it when I get round to dropping it in.

Once the paint is finished I’ll be looking for some coilovers, and then on to the brakes, if anyone knows of some decent coilovers for sale with not too many miles on then…. I’m interested.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

Going over the metalwork from 120 grit down to 1200 takes a long time, I’ve also spent a lot of time getting the body filler to mold into the metalwork – takes a lot of patience.

Why did you rub the metalwork back to 1200? Did you use filler over the surface you rubbed down with 1200?

Any pics of the blending on the arches/skirts after the top coat?

Looks like your cracking on well it's looking good but I have to agree with the others on the front bumper although it looks like you've done good job smoothing it in it will be very fragile, I did this a few year ago with my nova it was fine for a while until ipulled up to a a shop scrapped it on the curb and cracked the arch, don't be down hearted by the comments just be ultra careful when driving it

Well done mate, this is great stuff. Mine was a catC and have no regrets at all that I went down this route. I know it will always have the marker on it but that doesnt worry me at all. Really interested in the progress you are making, keep the updates coming.

Syphilis the supra lives on.......

I have loads of service history for the car if you want it mate, including water pump cam belt alternater belt etc etc etc this was all done shortly before the accident including a low mileage autobox and fluid flywheel that had only done 48k miles the box was fitted with a new sump filter etc and worked fine in the month prior to the accident that wrote the car off, even after the accident it was fine i drove the car home and you say its nackered?

last time I saw the car there was not much left the interior was ripped to bits the scrap heap scavengers had been at it did you pay £1500 that was asked or less.

the scrap yard kept calling me asking if I wanted the car I could have it back for £700 quid but by then like I said people had ripped all sorts off it, what are your plans turn the car into a track slag?

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00492.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

Hi Bobski,

Its great to hear from its last owner! you still driving a Supra or did the accident put you off?

Any service history would be great! and I've very interested to know more about the box and flywheel... I only drove it on the drive and into the garage, and the gearbox "felt" really rough... the engine's done its fair share of miles so I've got a fresher one to drop in, although I may put that box back on it... I'll drop you a PM.

yeah, there wasn't much interior left, but I'm planning to just have it as a two seater and black carpet throughout.

I only paid £1,100 delivered, but mayby I should have gone in even lower!

I'm turning it back into a Sunday drive and should hopefully take it down to Croft once or twice...

The bonnet very very light, so its my mistake. although, I'm planning to put a bonnet scoop on it, so cutting through metal will be easier when I get round to it!

The front bumper in your picture still has the lower sill on it, which wasn't there when I bought it, so I imagine someone picked up a bargain there.

Send me your post address and il post everything I have to you.

I bought a carbon seibon bonnet and found the fit was not great so I ended up putting the standard bonnet back on but the weight difference between them was negligible.

As for the lip I bought that and put it on it was about £90 off ebay it was destroyed by a kerb when it was in the accident I have pics of the accident aswell il forward them to you the damage was very minor but enough for the insurance to write the car off unfortunatly.

the box should be fine it was removed from a guy on heres supra he had swapped everything out for a v8 conversion so i bought his box for £100 quid all in it was all fitted reciepts to prove about a month before the accident the box had 48975 miles on

• 1 month later...

Well it’s been a while, but I’ve been pretty busy (unfortunately, not on my car)

I’ve finally finished the paint, wow that took a long time! ( I tip my cap at the professional guys who do this) I ended up doing the top coat in a few coats of 2K as the paint shop guy near me said that if I wanted a shine, I wouldn’t get one with Cellulose paint. The result…. Well I’m pretty happy with the paint work considering it’s my first time, unfortunately I don’t think the bodywork is up to the same finish, ahh well it’s all a learning curve and something I can go back to in the future. After all, this project is about me learning how to put a car together.

The finish is Ford Frozen white with a spec of silver running through it, can’t really tell what the finished result will be until I get it outside in the sunshine.

I’ve sanded this top coat down with 3000 wet and dry and I’ll be buying some polishing tools shortly to get the final smooth look, fingers crossed.

My plan is now to have a carbon fibre strip running down the middle of the car, I was going to buy a CF bonnet but after looking at the prices and deciding “I can do that myself” I bought a 3M x 1.5M roll of Carbon Fibre Vinyl. I know I’ll be getting posts now saying its “not the real thing” but I really don’t care, for me it’s the experience of a bit of wrapping.

The roll arrived yesterday and I collared the wife into giving me a hand with putting it on the bonnet. I watched a couple of videos on you tube and thought “I’ll have this done in 10 minutes…” boy was I wrong, after several arguments with the wife about how I was using her hairdryer to keep the vinyl stretching and getting rid of the bubbles (most of them) I was finally done 2.5 hours after I started. I’ll also be buying a bonnet scoop to put on this.

My advice would be don’t do this after a couple of beers…

This weekend I’m going to do the top rear wing and the dashboard in the same wrap,

I just ordered some new front and rear drop link for the anti roll bar, so they will also be going on this weekend.

http://image

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

Edited by mclarenross (see edit history)

We’ll I had a decent weekend on the car, managed to do the rear wing and roof in wrap, look alright unless you get real close up… it ‘ll do me for now.

I’ve just ordered a professional polisher machine online so will be giving the paint work its final clean up and buffing shortly.

I finally got the track rod end off, ( yeah, at last ) plus the brake line, that was two jobs I was really stuck on. Going to be getting these replacement parts off Keron, so will be able to fit them probably next week.

I've also given the door cards a good wash and “back to black” to give them that showroom condition.

I’ve washed and cleaned all the rubber sealing lines that run around the doors and boot (they had orange spray left on them from the last respray so took a while to completely clean them.

Going to start pulling out all the dashboard later this week to give that a clean… also need to find a roof liner if anyone has one for sale….

Also, I'm thinking about changing the rear hubs…. Anyone know if this is a difficult job? It’s the handbrake cable that’s scaring me…

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg