The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RMC's Supra Cat d write off restoration ... hopefully

mclarenross

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well, time for another update and I’ve got loads done recently.

Firstly thanks to Marc for sorting me out with the roof liner, it was a grey one but nothing that a couple of matt black spray cans couldn’t fix! (see photo below for finished articles). Whilst fitting, I stupidly realised I didn’t have any sun visors, that hold the roof on at the front, so I managed to source some from another forum member for a good price along with some side indicators (very happy with both) so indicators are on and the roof is in and the cabin is starting to take shape.

I then went on to replacing all the plastic interior and carpet and after a couple of hours of cleaning and screwing in the plastic bits “in the right order” the job was done. I just need to get some more black carpet to line the boot space so that it’s all nicely carpeted in the rear…(sounds wrong)

I had originally bought some race seats but I found they were a little too small once in the car, so I sold them and replaced them with some nice bright red ones! I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the red, but now that I’ve placed them in the car (need to fabricate some seat rails and any advice would be welcome) I’m happy with the black and red finish.

So the interior is nearly finished, I haven’t put the driver’s side door back on yet as there isn’t enough room on that side of the garage, I’ll do that once I’ve got her outside. I wanted to also change the gear stick on the auto box as the current one is well worn and look tatty. I sourced a full gear stick and all the linkages off another member on here (thanks) and just swapped off the gear level itself. Looks good…

I bought some brand new drop links for the anti-roll bars for front and back, so I’ve replaced them on all corners. Turned into a big job when I realised they don’t unscrew due to their age and I had to angle grind them all except one off!

I bought a brand new track rod end, for the front left and that was quite an easy job, once a mechanic friend had told me how to get the old one off.

I also cut one of the brake lines when I was originally taking them off so I was going to get just one to replace it, however I managed to source 4 x HEL lines for £20 off eBay, result! and I’ve already done the front 2 and I’ll be doing the rears over the weekend.

Big thanks to Sunny in Scotland for sorting me out with his old H&R coilovers, they had quite a bit off surface rust on them, but I’ve given them a good clean, primed them in black and I will be painting the springs white this weekend. Hopefully when I get them on they’ll be no problem and sit nice…. fingers crossed.

I also bought 4 newer hubs off eBay from a guy for a decent price and they have done a lot less miles than mine. However, he couldn’t get one of the rears off and I’m desperate for a rear passenger side one, non-Abs, so if anyone got one, please let me know…. So the front ones should be arriving any day and I should have the front end, pretty much good to go, oh, forgot to say I’d bought some front discs, drilled and grooved off eBay (yes, eBay again – “what would I do without eBay”) so , yeah… very excited that the front end is nearly done!

Sunny if you’re reading this you mentioned you might have some rear disc, drop me a pm with pictures.

Well that’s it for now, really starting to get somewhere, hoping to have the car rolling on all fours early in the New Year. I can’t wait to start her up!

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

photo1.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

help required.... I've been taking off the lower front suspension arm drivers side) as I'm putting on a newer one on, but I can't seem to get the final bolt/ nut off? does anyone know how ?

do I just force it until it cracks? or am I missing something completely?

please help......

photo.jpg

well, I managed to get them off, for people looking when searching in the future on this subject.... you just need to smash the nut through from the other side, destroyed the nut spindle, but at least got it off...

next problem is now I need a new nut and they a bit special as they have a section cut out of the threaded end bit. does anyone know where I can source one from?

well, I managed to get them off, for people looking when searching in the future on this subject.... you just need to smash the nut through from the other side, destroyed the nut spindle, but at least got it off...

next problem is now I need a new nut and they a bit special as they have a section cut out of the threaded end bit. does anyone know where I can source one from?

It's probobly a Toyota part Ross, there's a online parts catalogue on the site sumwhere that bolt will be listed on there if not try a Toyota garage/dealership

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2012/05/566.jpg[/img]"]]Well time for another update, sorry it feel like ages since I lastposted...

The great news is I've pretty much finished the car, the only thing left is to wire up the headlights correctly, replace the rear drivers side spring as it cracked (MOt failure) and also I'm going to get the passenger rear hub replaced as I think the bearing is knackard from all the bashing earlier on but I'm going to get a mechanic to do that next week.

Since I last wrote on this blog I had a little accident in the garage, I thought I had bled the brakes and when trying to reverse it slowly out of the the garage, I put the car in reverse, it shot backwards and into the side wall, hense why I no longer have the big rear wing... however, I'm very happy with the finished result and actually prefer it without the wing!

So next up I've got to get it through its MOT and then it'll finally be on the road.

I'm off to the Nurburgring for the August bank holiday weekend with a couple of other guys who have porsches, so I think I'm going to have to to my engine conversion before then or else I'll just be left for dust.

I've been looking into the 1JZ conversion as its looks like its a lot cheaper than the 2jz and I believe that its a fairly straight forward swap? anyone else done this with successful results? anyone know of any good garages in the north east who could do this for me..and anyone know of anyone with a 1JZ for sale?

http://image

photo (5).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo (4).jpg

Edited by mclarenross (see edit history)

help please...

if anyone else out there has done a 1JZ conversion, what other parts will I require apart from the Engine and Ancillaries? do I need to replace the Diff? propshaft? New intercooler?

I'm looking to buy from from a brakers, but I want to know what extra parts I should try and get them to throw into the deal...

before any one says use the searches.... I have and I can't find a list of parts required.

Thanks Guys

• 1 month later...

We’ll loads happened since my last update…

New (ish) Bilstens to replace the coilovers I had on her… and the good news…. she passed her MOT (one minor) and VIC test… very straightforward procedure by the way, I drove in… the guy asked me to go and sit and make a coffee, by the time I was adding sugar to my nice hot drink, he came back said that it was all good and I could go.! What a waste of time and money…

The drive to the DVLA I have to admit was a little scary, the tracking is way off, front and back and it was a challenge to keep her in a straight-line. There is however a place in Gateshead that have the Hunter 4 wheel alignment tool so once I’ve got the new engine in and everything else, I’ll be taking her in there to get all 4 corners nicely aligned. Does anyone know if this is an easy job? i.e will they be able to align all 4 wheel or is the Supra a bit of hard work…

So back into the garage she goes and yes as some of you guys have already said on this post that I was a little stupid in body filling the front bumper as it would have to come off when replacing the engine….but anyway I like the extra work, so bumper off…

Engine was stripped down, throttle body, Exhaust manifold, power steering, radiator etc. I ended up buying an engine crane, so if anyone wants to borrow one in the future, please ask…

Gearbox was separated from engine and with a little bit of jiggery pokery she finally lifted of the engine mounts and out of the bay… So I’ve now got a striped NA engine, two Auto gearboxes, so if any needs any parts, please get in touch…

I’ve attached a couple of photo’s with my mechanic friend Rory helping me out…. Thanks “god” (private joke with Rory) I’ve got help as I would never have figured out how to get this far…

So plan now…. I bought a 1JZGTE Engine from a breakers yard about 6 weeks ago and I’m still waiting on this turning up, (something to do with the insurance company not releasing it yet…) I’m starting to get a little impatient ! but I’m on holiday soon so it’ll have to wait until I get back.

parts list for new motor:

New water pump,

New sparks – any recommendations anyone?

New cam belt

New alternator belt

Fuel Pump

BOV

Have I missed anything?

I’ve already bought an FMIC so that’ll be going on, but I think I’ll need to make up some brackets to hold it in place. It’s 3” pipe work and I’m after one of the pipes with the BOV flange on it, so if anyone knows of one for sale…?

So that’s it so far, I know there’s a North East “drive by” happening on the 23rd of this month… but unfortunately that’s looking a bit too soon… but definitely the next!

S1.jpg

s2.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

We’ll loads happened since my last update…

New (ish) Bilstens to replace the coilovers I had on her… and the good news…. she passed her MOT (one minor) and VIC test… very straightforward procedure by the way, I drove in… the guy asked me to go and sit and make a coffee, by the time I was adding sugar to my nice hot drink, he came back said that it was all good and I could go.! What a waste of time and money…

The drive to the DVLA I have to admit was a little scary, the tracking is way off, front and back and it was a challenge to keep her in a straight-line. There is however a place in Gateshead that have the Hunter 4 wheel alignment tool so once I’ve got the new engine in and everything else, I’ll be taking her in there to get all 4 corners nicely aligned. Does anyone know if this is an easy job? i.e will they be able to align all 4 wheel or is the Supra a bit of hard work…

So back into the garage she goes and yes as some of you guys have already said on this post that I was a little stupid in body filling the front bumper as it would have to come off when replacing the engine….but anyway I like the extra work, so bumper off…

Engine was stripped down, throttle body, Exhaust manifold, power steering, radiator etc. I ended up buying an engine crane, so if anyone wants to borrow one in the future, please ask…

Gearbox was separated from engine and with a little bit of jiggery pokery she finally lifted of the engine mounts and out of the bay… So I’ve now got a striped NA engine, two Auto gearboxes, so if any needs any parts, please get in touch…

I’ve attached a couple of photo’s with my mechanic friend Rory helping me out…. Thanks “god” (private joke with Rory) I’ve got help as I would never have figured out how to get this far…

So plan now…. I bought a 1JZGTE Engine from a breakers yard about 6 weeks ago and I’m still waiting on this turning up, (something to do with the insurance company not releasing it yet…) I’m starting to get a little impatient ! but I’m on holiday soon so it’ll have to wait until I get back.

parts list for new motor:

New water pump,

New sparks – any recommendations anyone?

New cam belt

New alternator belt

Fuel Pump

BOV

Have I missed anything?

I’ve already bought an FMIC so that’ll be going on, but I think I’ll need to make up some brackets to hold it in place. It’s 3” pipe work and I’m after one of the pipes with the BOV flange on it, so if anyone knows of one for sale…?

So that’s it so far, I know there’s a North East “drive by” happening on the 23rd of this month… but unfortunately that’s looking a bit too soon… but definitely the next!

Interesting read fella, what breakers yard did you buy the car from ? May be interested in the NA-AUTO DIFF depending on price, can collect as I'm guessing your local to me ?

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress so far on getting the 1JZ…

Had a bit of a disaster in that the breakers kept putting it off and then further delays, so I ended deciding on getting my money back and sourcing another motor… I saw Konrad was selling a 1JZ on this Forum, (but I think he had gone on holiday for a couple of weeks) and I wanted to find one asap so that I could get it in the car and get me on the road!

I found one through Douglas Valley Breakers, a great guy there called Steve who after some negotiating, I managed to get the motor and gearbox at a very reasonable price, motor has about 78K miles on it which is less than the original one I was going to be getting. Result.

Steve, was also kind enough to send me photos of the engine and gearbox being removed from the old car, (see attachments.)

Whilst waiting for the engine, I’ve resprayed the engine bay and I’m very happy with the result.

Next steps, Rory’s back from his hols after next week, so we’ll be pulling out the old gearbox, putting in the 1JZ one.

In the meantime, I’m going to try and paint the engine spark plug cover and try and polish up the pipework.

Replace, water pump, new sparks, oil filter, oil, cam belt, alternator belt and fuel filter. Should be easier to replace all this whilst it’s out of the car

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

• 1 month later...

In the final stages of the build and I’m hoping that it’ll be finished in time for the NE meeting next Saturday at the rolling road in Durham that Marc’s organised. I’d love to get it on and see what power output it is going to give….

So firstly we did a compression test and all cylinders were spot on (sigh of relief) we removed the turbos to check for any wear or play in the shaft and they both seem in very good nick. (another sigh of relief)!.

Replaced water pump, crank seals (after advice from Hodgy –met the guy the other week and saw his amazing motor, a work of art!) new NGK cold spark plugs, oil filter, cam belt, aux belt and oil pump. So fingers crossed when it finally gets “fired up” she will be purring…

We then dropped the engine onto her mounts and tried marrying up the gearbox with the Torque convertor attached to the flywheel. (yes I know it should have been on the gearbox end!) anyway after changing over the TC to the gearbox and putting the N/A’s TC onto the box (long story) the gearbox finally lined up with the engine. Intercooler was next and with a bit of jiggery pokery and some lessons from Rory on how to cut a thread for a bolt, it’s all nicely fitted to the crash bar at the front.

Exhaust was next and I’ve got a full decat system with a 1.1 restrictor ring sitting between the decat and the final section of the exhaust, it was hanging a bit low so Rory’s made up a bracket to secure the exhaust in place.

Bit of a disaster with the aircon pipes, so for the time being will be running without aircon, (with the summer we’ve had I won’t need it)

Haven’t managed to get hold of a reservoir for the Power steering, so Rory is going to have a look round his scrap yard to see if any other vehicles have a similar sized reservoir and we’ll fabricate the pipework to make it fit!

TT throttle cable turning up today so that needs to get run through.

Airbox (ITG) is on and a carbon strut brace (I’ve bought a rear one off Scooby slayer, so will be picking up next week).

And that leaves just the dreaded wiring… Thanks to all the guys on here, especially Pedro for the guides they have put up. We got all the print outs and Rory is going to attempt do the wiring tonight.

I’m thinking of going down the big carbon fibre rear wing…. But can’t make up my mind at the minute. And I’m on the lookout for a carbon bonnet to replace the crappy wrap that I have at the minute.

Also decided that I wanted the roll cage painted rather than wrapped in alcantara, so stripped to the bear steel and painted away… think it looks great now.

So that it’s for now, hopefully it’ll be ready for next weekend. Its only taken me 18 months!

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg