The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I know TT supra prices a dropping but this is getting ridiculous!

ripped_fear

When buying a Supra, if everyone had an unlimited fund but had to buy the spec they could afford normally (TT, Single, NA), I doubt many people would buy an auto.

Or another way to phrase it; If autos and manuals cost the same, I bet over 90% would buy a manual.

Edited by Josh (see edit history)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When buying a Supra, if everyone had an unlimited fund but had to buy the spec they could afford normally (TT, Single, NA), I doubt many people would buy an auto.

Or another way to phrase it; If autos and manuals cost the same, I bet over 90% would buy a manual.

You keep convincing yourself :)

The time I would like a manual is for track days, I'd still want to drive home in the auto though.

I doubt it would be 90%, I test drove some manuals but perfer the auto's over them.

Infact my next Supra will be auto as well, I am currently driving a CTR and changing gears is boring.

The Supra is a GT car hence why the auto box is perfect.

I doubt it would be 90%, I test drove some manuals but perfer the auto's over them.

Infact my next Supra will be auto as well, I am currently driving a CTR and changing gears is boring.

The Supra is a GT car hence why the auto box is perfect.

But if you don't use it as a GT car and use it as a weekend/fun/short journey car then a manual would be best I'd have thought.

Tbh, I'd need to try an auto before I comment further, but I just don't think I'd enjoy the car as much if it was auto.

But if you don't use it as a GT car and use it as a weekend/fun/short journey car then a manual would be best I'd have thought.

Tbh, I'd need to try an auto before I comment further, but I just don't think I'd enjoy the car as much if it was auto.

Regardless how often you use it, the car is still a GT ;)

In hated the idea of an auto when I was looking for my Supra 7 years ago, but wouldn't have a manual now. I've got a manual MR2 turbo, and would definitely NOT have an auto in that, but the Supra auto suits the car so well it's fantastic. Obviously it depends what you want to do with the car, but on the road, I've never wished for it was a manual - on the track... now there's a different story - hence the MR2 :D

I have had an auto, a 6sp and a tiptronic. Auto box is still my first choice. You can have some real fun with it, when you go to overtake something is will get you pass the other car quicker than you could imagine and when you are in traffic or stuck on the m25 it is simple to drive.

Having tried them all, I love the autos, be it tiptronic on normal gearbox.

My first drive in a auto tt shocked the hell out of me as the kick down was crazy, and i imagine something i could get used to very quickly, However i like to Drive, not to be driven!!! :)

Trust me, when pushing it on a tight twisty road (or the 'ring) you're not being driven, under these circumstances it takes a lot of skill to extract the best from the autos. Especially if you don't like hanging out of hedgerows :D

A lot of people are saying that autos are underestimated and that there is a manual vs auto war that goes on. If someone prefers a manual, that's what they will prefer. At the end of the day, an automatic is an automatic, and yes it should be tried out but to point out again... it's down to personal preference in the first place. Some people are dedicated to manual driving. Others are not bothered.

I've been in a fair few automatic supras now (as they are common as muck) and I thought it was brilliant. It works very well and it's by far the best automatic car I can possibly think of, but it does not mean I prefer the auto as I just like the idea of controlling the car through it's gears properly.

When I had a ride in Scotty's TT BPU auto, I liked how the gears changed so quickly and effortlessly and how you can go in "manu" mode to get the most out of the 'box.

I still don't think I'd enjoy my car as much if it was automatic. I enjoy being able to change gear and hold the car on the clutch and I feel I get more of a feel for how the car's acting and that I'm in more control in a manual.

I must be the other 10% then because I wanted a Tiptronic facelift and not a TT6. My NA was a manual and I dont miss the gearbox one bit.:p

I just like the idea of controlling the car through it's gears properly.

Tiptronic lets you control the gears when you want too but if you want to be lazy then flick to auto and point in the right direction.:eyebrows:

what did I start with this thread, it was supposed to be on a cheap TTauto project lol.

Brilliant Jake I love a good discussion, more heated the better. :taped:

Why would anyone buy a Supra with an old fashioned clutch which is operated by a foot pedal:hide::)

My point was not to make anyone look silly but to point out how most opinions slating the auto are made by people that have never driven them.

Most people who love the auto have only good things to say about it. (because they drive them)

Most people who prefer the manual generally get their point over by running the auto down.

They are both great at what they do. :)

Autos (in my opinion) do NOT kick down unexpectedly on bends, are in absolutely no way slow, and more importantly are definately NOT boring. The derogatory comments are generally bandied about by people who have no experience of them or are

just comparing E-penises.

Manuals on the other hand, are also great

Rob

I feel I'm good to comment here as I own both a manual and auto and here are my pro's and cons of both:

Auto:

Pros - Easy in traffic and nice to cruise in, faster in a straight line

Cons - Lacks a certain 'feel' of the car whilst driving, harder to control if the backend slips, feels slower(but isn't)

Manual

Pros - Fantastic fun on spirited drive, you really 'feel' what the car is doing, can't beat the feeling of banging it into the next gear as you come onto the straight with the backend kicking out a little as you do it, feels faster than the auto(but isn't)

Cons - When not on a spirited drive, it starts to feel like a 'chore' changing gears, is quite clunky and jerky at slow(around town/village) speeds