The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I know TT supra prices a dropping but this is getting ridiculous!

ripped_fear

For once Marc, your post was bang on the money ;) :D Expect the "feels slower but isn't" - that depends on the road, a 6spd manual can make better use of the power as there is a better range of gearing available to keep it in the peak torque band.

IMO the auto is still a load of fun to drive after BPU mods, but I could not see myself ever buying one. There are a lot of times it would be nice, especially if there was a daily commute through traffic.

Auto's are a waste of time if you're planning on big power road car (more than 430bhp), so many people have made this mistake and regretted it afterwards.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took out an Audi TTS tonight with ease in the BPU Auto, he was trying as well, not bad for a sub 5K old Toyota !

He mustn't been trying hard enough ;)

Seriously though, the autobox on my NA was really smooth for a car of that age. I am really surprised by it. Could use more ratios for "spirited" drive though. You can work the manu mode but there's slight delay in gearchanges and to me it just doesn't feel natural.

Maybe the autobox is different in the TT though so no idea on that.

Edited by jonathanc (see edit history)

It's just taste. Personally, I'd never drive any Automatic for fun. If you make a car to be engaging and challenging, relinquishing a control is rather a odd thing to do.

Have you driven an auto supra for any period of time?

Have a read through the thread and see the posts from those who have driven both for regular periods and see what they say.

In any modern car you have relinquished control, the Audi R8 is a stunning car, but Fifth Gear got them to turn off all the driving aids and the thing became an uncontrollable mess. You want proper control then go back to a car with no power steering, no ABS and skinny tyres. That would be engaging but you wouldnt enjoy it much.

ive never driven a manual supra, but did have a manual rx7 fd3s before the supra though, before i had driven my auto tt i didnt think i would have ever wanted an auto, now i dont like to drive a manual (whatever car it might be) it all just seem a hassle especially in traffic and around town. in the corners the supra is just as controllable as manual its all about knowing the limits and not exceeding them, and on the streights its better than a m/t because the gears are longer and the changes are smoother. so auto is better deal with it! ;)

Branners is absolutely right as many others on the thread have said the Supra Auto is a very special Auto box experience, it is smooth with a very quick change (considering the cars age as well)

I have owned but NA auto and manual as well as TT Auto and Manual and single Auto and Manual, the Auto box on a BPU is the best all rounder for me, especially living in a busy part of the UK

I want big power though and I have managed to destroy an Auto at just 550BHP so the 6 speed becomes a must, I dont like the idea of a big power car on a boostlogic auto, just a preference

Have you driven an auto supra for any period of time?

Have a read through the thread and see the posts from those who have driven both for regular periods and see what they say.

In any modern car you have relinquished control, the Audi R8 is a stunning car, but Fifth Gear got them to turn off all the driving aids and the thing became an uncontrollable mess. You want proper control then go back to a car with no power steering, no ABS and skinny tyres. That would be engaging but you wouldnt enjoy it much.

As I said, a matter of taste. Personally, I run no ABS, Manual, have power steering but to me that's not control, just amplification of control. No Traction control. Tyres aren't a control. The question, for me is can anything but me make an alteration to the car as a result of the car's situation. In an ideal world I'd have electronics to get the amount of power I demand with my right foot from the engine and absolutely nothing else.

My problem is not with auto Supras, but with autos full stop. My first car was an auto MA70 and I swore I'd never buy another. Then I had an auto GS300. I really won't ever have another, because I just don't enjoy driving them.

If you do, that's lovely - each to their own.

I didn't mean to be patronising in the slightest, and I apologise if that's how it came across. I've driven a few, not owned one. But just as I've owned MA70's with and without and won't have an auto ever again. I'm pleased that you're happy with your auto, I really am - but that's not a reflection on me.

If there is one single thing I really love doing it's changing gear. Please don't take that personally. But I've driven enough autos to know I never want to own one again.

Edited by Calorus
Attrocious spelling. (see edit history)

I wouldn't through choice have anything OTHER than an automatic car as a road car. My TT auto was great fun to drive and I used to get a buzz when people looked in the windows on a track day and say "Jeez, it's a bloody automatic" :) If I bought another MKIV to use solely as a track day car I would naturally choose a manual, but for everyday usage I can't be doing with a clutch and a lot of extra effort in traffic.

I prefer manuals to Autos, IMO autos puts a slight dampner on the driving experience, although you can get the same performance and some cases better with a Auto, you cant beat slamming it from 1st to 2nd with your foot on the floor :eyebrows: . I have never driven a Supra auto though but i regularly drive new Jaguars and Aston Martins through work, I enjoyed the 6 speed DB9 allot more then the Auto thats for sure

I would only consider buying a Auto for my second run araound car.

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

you cant beat slamming it from 1st to 2nd with your foot on the floor :eyebrows: . I have never driven a Supra auto.

Thats my only complaint about the supra auto tbh, I just wish they had added a manual mode, then I could slam it from 1st to second with my foot to the floor. They could have called it manu and put a microswitch by the gearchange.

Oh and I wouldn't keep my foot slammed on the floor while manually changing gear, best to lift off while you depress the clutch, it saves on drivetrain wear and tear and also that embarrassing clutch slip ;)

As everyone keeps slating the auto then saying they have never driven one, I'd better clarify that I have driven an auto supra.

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

Thats my only complaint about the supra auto tbh, I just wish they had added a manual mode, then I could slam it from 1st to second with my foot to the floor. They could have called it manu and put a microswitch by the gearchange

Oh and I wouldn't keep my foot slammed on the floor while manually changing gear, best to lift off while you depress the clutch, it saves on drivetrain wear and tear and also that embarrassing clutch slip ;)

lmao well said that man!

Thats my only complaint about the supra auto tbh, I just wish they had added a manual mode, then I could slam it from 1st to second with my foot to the floor. They could have called it manu and put a microswitch by the gearchange.

The manual gear change in the auto Supra is pointless IMO, I keep trying it but it takes forever to change, the delay on it is really bad IMO, just leave it in D with manu mode on to get the best out of it.

As I said before, I have had a 5-speed, 6-speed and auto Supra so feel I'm in a good place to comment.

However, I'm going to rock the boat a little more here as to drive with (IMO) the 5-speed is the nicest box of the lot.

The manual gear change in the auto Supra is pointless IMO, I keep trying it but it takes forever to change, the delay on it is really bad IMO, just leave it in D with manu mode on to get the best out of it.

As I said before, I have had a 5-speed, 6-speed and auto Supra so feel I'm in a good place to comment.

However, I'm going to rock the boat a little more here as to drive with (IMO) the 5-speed is the nicest box of the lot.

lol, Either I have a fault with my car/autobox or you have. In manu my box changes in a split second, sometimes it can feel a bit too quick and tends to feel like I'm trying to do a quick 1/4 mile run, even if I'm just pottering around.

I'm now interested to try someone elses auto.

Guest The Uncle

Picked my L reg N/A manual up for £1900, needs a bit of work done on the front bumper but the engine is sweet as a nut and only done 89000 miles.

Are you hijacking this thread?

Seems that way, there we are discussing the virtues of the autobox compared to the manual. then someone pops in and tries to make a valid point regarding the original question. some people just won't learn how this place works,

ie: someone asks a question, the thread slowly deteriorates into a discussion about unscrewing navels and the like.