The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any cars ever try to race you on the roads?

Stewart10

so do i! it is illegal to block in the outside lane then? i didnt know that. It is the most ANNOYING thing ever, really grinds my gears.

In regards to the racing, i dont often so much on the roads thats worth racing, but i do get the odd chav'd up astra, corsa etc trying to go fast so i just put my foot half way down in 6th and leave em for dust. always fun.

edit: btw does anyone know the rough top speed of a TT BPU supra? ive hit 165 on a private road :D but i had to slow down

Try a search, there was a large thread/debate about it a couple of weeks ago. I think 180/190 was the speed agreed on.

There's also a table somewhere (Nic's posted it a few times) showing the theoretical top speed of each Supra with each different gearbox :)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so do i! it is illegal to block in the outside lane then? i didnt know that. It is the most ANNOYING thing ever, really grinds my gears.

In regards to the racing, i dont often so much on the roads thats worth racing, but i do get the odd chav'd up astra, corsa etc trying to go fast so i just put my foot half way down in 6th and leave em for dust. always fun.

edit: btw does anyone know the rough top speed of a TT BPU supra? ive hit 165 on a private road :D but i had to slow down

Now don't take any offence to this... but...

This is part of the problem. We have millions of people driving on our roads that have absolutely no concept of the rules, laws and regulations of driving.... especially on motorways. It is people who don't know the rules who assume they are in the right and everyone else is in the wrong, it isn't just an etiquette or gentlemans agreement to pull into the leftmost lane ;)

On a motorway or multiple lane carriage way all lanes right of the leftmost lane are for overtaking (hopefully it's obvious that I don't include slip roads). Once the overtaking manouvre has taken place you are to make your way back into the left most lane (the safest one). The reason for more than 2 lanes on motorways is simply due to volume of traffic, you have cars doing 65 that want to overtake lorries at 55 and in turn you have cars at 70 that want to overtake those cars. In a 3 lane carriageway, in normal conditions, the rightmost lane should be used the least, the middle lane the next and the left lane the most.

In my experience I find the middle lane used the most by quite some considerable amount.

why would i take offence? I agree

I assumed it was illegal to block a lane, as it is also illegal to be slower than the speed limit which again, most people wouldnt know.

Neither of those are illegal. Drive to the conditions, not the limits.

If the police wanted to charge someone for staying in the right hand lane, they'd have to do it on Driving without Due Care, which would be pretty difficult to make stick.

Neither of those are illegal. Drive to the conditions, not the limits.

If the police wanted to charge someone for staying in the right hand lane, they'd have to do it on Driving without Due Care, which would be pretty difficult to make stick.

No they don't, as I explained earlier it goes down as (I'm not a copper so I don't know the official offence name) halting the progression of traffic.

It's something like that anyway, they explained it on the "police camera action" episode I was watching. The commentator said how most people would think he was going to pull the guy undertaking over for making that maneouvre but he gave the guy a break as he clearly gave the offending "fast lane" driver every opportunity to move in and let him past.

Also, Supralad...

In your previous post you asked if it was illegal. This is what told me you didn't know, one of the millions that don't understand the highway code. It isn't illegal to go slower than the limit. It falls under the same bracket as above. Doing 10 in a 30 you will be pulled over, same with 30 in a 70, as those types of speeds are very dangerous to other road users (when the weather, conditions permit obviously). In those isntances you could be done with dangerous driving, as dangerous driving isn't directly related to going over the limit. As long as you are within a reasonable margin of the limit, whilst driving to the conditions, and you are driving considerately (in the slow lane) you have pretty much a free reign within reason. It is not illegal to block a lane, this is where a lot of confusion comes from, it's stopping the progression that is the offence.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

i was taught it was illegal to drive slower than 40 on a motorway?

That isn't what you said, and I can't find anything in the highway code to back that up. However, there was the case of the old lady driving at 40mph in the outside lane who got prosecuted, but I can't remember what for. If you can't drive under 40mph on motorways then pretty much the whole of the M25 is illegal for most of every day :)

I reckon if you drive along a motorway at 35 in a regular private car, you'll get pulled pretty quickly. But if you were to be charged it'd have to be on Dangerous Driving or DWDC i would of thought.

Lol, yup just wrote similar :D

No they don't, as I explained earlier it goes down as (I'm not a copper so I don't know the official offence name) halting the progression of traffic.

It's something like that anyway, they explained it on the "police camera action" episode I was watching. The commentator said how most people would think he was going to pull the guy undertaking over for making that manouvre but he gave the guy a break as he clearly gave the offending "fast lane" driver every opportunity to move in and let him past.

Didn't know that. Off to do some googling...

Talking of motoring offences someone I knew was the last person to be prosecuted for "Driving Furiously" an offence that was left on the statute books form the days of horse drawn carriages. Sadly, it seems it has been removed. I would love to have committed that offence, it was just so "English"

Talking of motoring offences someone I knew was the last person to be prosecuted for "Driving Furiously" an offence that was left on the statute books form the days of horse drawn carriages. Sadly, it seems it has been removed. I would love to have committed that offence, it was just so "English"

I'd take 3 points for that one right now :D

Call me boring, But i get allsorts try to race me due to my numberplate mainly... but to be honest I don't bother wasting my petrol... Running three fuel pumps and Id2000's as Injectors on boost it dosen't half drink it.. Once my new turbo is on.. If Jamie,Jurgen or Lee P came up behind me .. It might be a different story :D

I find generally that most people don't bother. I have a 997cc 3 cylinder Aygo as well so getting out of the Supra into the Aygo, you see the difference in peoples attitudes.

I get boy racers in Novas racing me in the Aygo, but not much in the Supra. I tend to always drive like I've got something to prove in the Aygo but not so much in the Supra.

People get offended if you overtake them in an Aygo though. Even old grannies get pi**ed when you go past at 15mph.