The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spend thousands on a big single, to become slower than a T.T.

David P

Happy to show my ego.

Anyhow, back on topic, anyone wants to show me how much faster there TT is than my "Spend thousands on a big single to become slower than a TT. " come see me at suprapod and we will have a little wager;)

suprapod is going to be good, unless the TT's offering you out start doing the rain dance again like last year **bottling it**.. then they will just drive around circling you ha ha

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to point out my bpu at the mile event was totally reliable engine wise.

My caliper did almost fall off though.

I enjoyed it but don't think I will do another. It's not just about the engine or turbo :) even the singles only did 20mph more appart from cars with more than double the bhp which is quite respectable IMO.

My 1/4 mile times range from low 13s to mid 12s on average road rubber. And my terminals are arround the 115 Mark. Still quite good. IMO.

I've been in singles but I love the way bpu drives. I love the delivery. And it more than enough power. I'm not sure I would ever go single there is just not enough gain that appeals to me other than pub talk... And I don't drink

Only the badly set up ones, or that have a pre existing problem;)

You could have a well setup single built with quality parts, but if it is running maximum boost and mapped to eek out every last hp from the setup then you are running at the ragged edge of reliability.

In an environment like this the emphasis can be on chasing big hp numbers. Personally if I'm going to spend £K's building a single turbo Supra my emphasis would be on reliability, performance and drivability. Perhaps it'd be down 50+hp on it's potential and not be the fastest over 1 mile, but it'd be quick, do it without breaking a sweat and be able to get me home.

You could have a well setup single built with quality parts, but if it is running maximum boost and mapped to eek out every last hp from the setup then you are running at the ragged edge of reliability.

In an environment like this the emphasis can be on chasing big hp numbers. Personally if I'm going to spend £K's building a single turbo Supra my emphasis would be on reliability, performance and drivability. Perhaps it'd be down 50+hp on it's potential and not be the fastest over 1 mile, but it'd be quick, do it without breaking a sweat and be able to get me home.

Anything can break as did your TT and you had to have a new engine, no?

Anything can break as did your TT and you had to have a new engine, no?

True, it needed a new engine because one of the ceramic turbos let go and lunched the engine, obviously I pushed the stock J-spec turbos too far - it was running 429hp - which was a expensive leason. Perhaps if I'd sacrificed those 29 horses it would have lasted longer, who knows?

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I have been perusing the drag race times in the 'sticky', and find that most big singles are slower than a BPU T.T.

Nice sweeping statement not backed up by any actual proof or evidence. But then I've read your posts in the technical section so not surprised to be honest.

I don't think all singles are particularly unreliable, very much depends upon how much you are pushing the engine, if you are running big boost, with big power, then there is obviously a larger likelyhood that something will decide to call it a day. Mine for example, apart from issues with plugs because of coilpacks breaking down, and loosing coolant because of the wrong rad cap fitted, has been fine, no issues for nearly 4years, but i'm only running 1.1bar on a built engine.

With regards to singles being slower than a tt, ha, my uk spec was bpu'd before i singled it, and there is a vast difference between the two. Maybe the times on the 1/4 thread don't show this, but that is down to the driver more than the car, like it has been said before, terminal speeds are a better indication of how fast the car is than the 1/4 times.

Just to point out my bpu at the mile event was totally reliable engine wise.

My caliper did almost fall off though.

I enjoyed it but don't think I will do another. It's not just about the engine or turbo :) even the singles only did 20mph more appart from cars with more than double the bhp which is quite respectable IMO.

My 1/4 mile times range from low 13s to mid 12s on average road rubber. And my terminals are arround the 115 Mark. Still quite good. IMO.

I've been in singles but I love the way bpu drives. I love the delivery. And it more than enough power. I'm not sure I would ever go single there is just not enough gain that appeals to me other than pub talk... And I don't drink

They're some very respectable times for a TT :thumbs:

There's a world of difference between a TT and a single though. It was mentioned earlier in the thread about singles being unreliable. My Single was very reliable, and if you do suffer a fault on the turbo side, diagnosis is far easier than with a TT. I used to use it pretty much every day, even in the rain and snow (though running R888s in the snow was a little silly :D )

I used to use mine regularly on WOT, at very high speeds for long periods and didn't suffer for it at all. That was still on the Japanese Map, and the EGTs were still fine. The only fault I had was an water hose to the turbo had gone brittle and started to weep. 10 min fix :)

I really loved my BPU car, but these days there's many production cars around that will give a BPU TT a good run for it's money. Going single gives the car a new lease of life IMO. Im not talking about bragging rights and 'pub talk' BHP levels, I'm talking about justifying the Supra as an ownership proposition, when much newer cars are readily available with plenty of performance on tap, for similar money.

Nice sweeping statement not backed up by any actual proof or evidence. But then I've read your posts in the technical section so not surprised to be honest.

Both 'proof' and 'evidence' are in the Clubs official Supra drag times, and it is informative to learn why there happens to be many TT's that are recorded to be faster than many singles.

Very poor post.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I completely agree with Chris on the mapping.

The problem is a lot of cars mapped on rolling roads do not see the correct loading or a long enough run.

They are often run in the wrong gear (4th instead of 5th) because the dyno can't cope with it.

My car survived all it's runs at thunder road no probs but was mapped up to 5th gear with long dyno pulls at TDI. I think this is a big factor. The TDI dyno recreates real loading unlike others.

Edited by Lee P (see edit history)

The 'proof' and 'evidence' is in the Clubs official Supra drag times, and it is informative to learn why there happens to be many TT's that are recorded to be faster than many singles.

And there is 13 second, 14 second and 15 second NA's that are quicker than a lot of the TT's listed, Are you really telling me you dont understand why some are quicker than others? just look at the top cars listed in the TT section, all of them are setup for drag racing, compare them to ST's that are setup the same.

My singles runs nice times without breaking, i've lost count how many 1/4 miles its run in the last 3 years with the only major problem being the clutch.

It has also been used on the road occasionally, along with runs on a private road clocking 180+ leptons :eyebrows:

The last outing was in pouring rain to Newcastle were it then passed through the tunnel at a very good rate of pace before heading back home on a 2 hour drive without any problems :D

So not all singles break or sit with bonnets up :innocent:

Very importantly a good driver in a good car that is set up for running 1/4 mile will run a good times, power levels have only a part to play.

Weight and traction are also 2 issues that must be taken into account.

Anybody wanting to race my single are very welcome, come along to Shakey and get in the next lane and we'll race.

Who ever wins gets the bragging rights ;)

‘Unless you have the timing slip it means nothing to me’