The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spend thousands on a big single, to become slower than a T.T.

David P

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the single turbo times are shocking, drag racing is not as easy as people think though.

Ive always thought it a shame a lot of the times are not kept in that thread, like my 10.9 on an old T67dbb, if its a different turbo setup the time should stay imo, gives people that look at the thread an idea of what is possible on what turbo's, not sure if anyone else here has got in the 10's on a 67?

My first 10 was with a 67 P trim Journal bearing turbo.

I guess this mile stuff is pointed toward myself, one of the few that has the balls to do these events.....

Id not call my car badly setup and it had no pre existing problems i know off, still killed two engines at two events.

Blame could be pointed but when you are running 3 times the power of a stock tt things can break or not go as planned, my last one melted a piston at 191mph (0.71 of a mile) i have never held my foot flat to the floor for so long other than at thunder road, i guess its hard to map a car to take into account of a run that hard, on a dyno its a short blast in one gear, who knows, maybe something else caused the piston to melt.

Either way its a risk i dont mind taking, i learn from these things and come back stronger, its all for the love of Supras and having fun in my car, i have enjoyed every second of it and will continue to push it as hard as i can.:)

Well said JP I guess those with twins etc that don't have the notion to go big single will never know the attraction, its a bit like a bike, its not what it does but the way it does it, only a few of us will ever truly know, the wannabees and haters will have to just imagine.

This worries me. A mapping session on a dyno should be done holding every load point long enough for engine temps and egts to stabilise. These automated run throughs in one gear, from 2000 rpm to red line, over in about 5 seconds are a total waste of time. I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS insist that my engine is allowed to settle at all the various load points. It's hard on the engine, but means that you leave the dyno knowing that the engine isn't just mapped for a 1/4 mile blast, but will also survive an uphill pull on full boost for some time without the rising temps needing more fuel or less timing as things get hot and bothered. How many engines survive a few Pod runs, but blow up when someone decides to wind it up over a couple of miles on the motorway, on the adrenaline fuelled way home? Lots, actually ;) All IMHO.

We never let a car go out without checking it on the road and like you say it will normally need a tweak here and there, I am going to have to get a quiet exhaust on the car and hire Bruntingthorpe to finish the mapping off on my car as it will be too risky at 3 bar and race fuel even on the motorway at night as it will still be able to light up road tyres at very serious speeds.

John, What bhp did the engine have when you hit 211 Leptons?

Enough!!!!!!! I believe it was 875 ish with a built box, that was over a lot more than a mile though and was with Race fuel and 2.5 bar and an AEM, gave the poor bloke on a Kwak ZX9R a bit of a shock though.

:D

Can they really only get to 142? I thought they would crawl 150 easily?

It did do 149mph on the GPS (just over 160mph on the speedo), but that was a one off, it must have taken 10 minutes to get there - no exaggeration. It was almost flat out from Swindon to Oxford :D An NA won't do more than 135-142mph (GPS) unless there's an empty motorway at 3am on a Sunday ;)

I love mine, but it all gets very boring above 40mph.

It did do 149mph on the GPS (just over 160mph on the speedo), but that was a one off, it must have taken 10 minutes to get there - no exaggeration. It was almost flat out from Swindon to Oxford :D An NA won't do more than 135-142mph (GPS) unless there's an empty motorway at 3am on a Sunday ;)

I love mine, but it all gets very boring above 40mph.

Yeah, I just meant that I thought it was possible.

Same with around 190 in BPU. Yeah.... you might get there, but it'll take a LOT of miles and half a tank to do it lol.

Sorry? why cant a supra go tearing round bumpy back lanes?

F**k it JP im selling the sup and rangey and getting a 306!!! what about you? I'll also bet my rangey is quicker over a ploughed field than your car JP!!! Pink's?? What a pointless arguement and our log books aren't pink !!!!!!!!