The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

After being held to ransom by HMRC who tried to charge me import tax that was not due, the ECU is back at last.

AEM performed a "warranty repair"? and reported a fault on the 1-4 idle circuit, now repaired and also an "update mod"?, no mention whatsoever re the dicky no. 5 injector feed and have returned it declared A okay.

Nothing they said bears any resemblance to the problem?

I have fitted it to find that the engine will not run at all with the injector driver, however, with the resistors, after a cough and splutter warm up, it settled down to a reasonable tickover.

Now that it's running, before trying to get the injector driver to function, I want to take oscilloscope readings to confirm all 6 injectors are now functioning correctly, that's a job I can't do on my own and waiting until Shane has a couple of hours spare.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After being held to ransom by HMRC who tried to charge me import tax that was not due, the ECU is back at last.

AEM performed a "warranty repair"? and reported a fault on the 1-4 idle circuit, now repaired and also an "update mod"?, no mention whatsoever re the dicky no. 5 injector feed and have returned it declared A okay.

Nothing they said bears any resemblance to the problem?

I have fitted it to find that the engine will not run at all with the injector driver, however, with the resistors, after a cough and splutter warm up, it settled down to a reasonable tickover.

Now that it's running, before trying to get the injector driver to function, I want to take oscilloscope readings to confirm all 6 injectors are now functioning correctly, that's a job I can't do on my own and waiting until Shane has a couple of hours spare.

Sorry Dude, been pretty busy since we spoke and had several mini disasters with the Merc that I have had to rectify during the little time I have had off. Am in Paris working much of next week but should have a few days off the week after and will try to get over.

I have a question!

Have you painted the bonnet??

Not yet, I'm first planning on practicing my rattle canning on yours. :think:

There's no point, he's always got it open with his head underneath it, so he'd never see if it was painted or not.... ;)

Did the AEM have to go to the US for repair, or have they a facility over here?

It has been on a U.S. holiday, keep up Chris. ;)

Their service was good in some respects, yet deeper in smoke and mirrors than it was long, I'll post a pic of the report.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Unless it's a celebration of achieving 10k informative posts? :think:

It appears that my lack of project posting has for a few Old Wive's caused an imbalance in the great scheme of things, demonstrating that it's waaay overtime I updated a few realities in my build thread. :D

My personal battle in the real World that has kept me away from this project is still going on, but I'm not allowed to post about it, however, should you have any humanity at all, you will be concerned about this covert Genocide by Judicial Murder of thousands of British Subjects per year and you can sign the Petition here. This State funded bullying is a core function of the Civil Services and under the guise of 'for the greater good', this heinous activity operates just the same as the Witch Hunts do on here. https://www.change.org/p/peter-bone-m-p-theresa-may-prime-minister-public-enquiry-into-civil-service-use-of-hydrogen-sulphide-gas-and-sleep-deprivation-torture?source_location=minibar Thank you.

This very serious and International matter is on the P.M.s' desk at this time, along with a dozen other current cases and along with the backing of another dozen M.P.'s. There are demonstrations about this outside the House of Commons every Wednesday, this has been published in the U.S. and is now being talked about on some U.K. Local Radio Stations.

Back to The Ranch.

The old girl is presently SORN and tucked up nicely in a secure lock-up. EvinX, TwoSocks and Shane turned out some time ago to help me give it a wash and wax and stash it the garage where its wrapped up nice and cozy in a car blanket. Aaaah. :dummy:

Unfortunately, after 2-years of standing, the new aftermarket exhaust rubbers had given up, resulting with the exhaust dropping and breaking the flange off the exhaust manifold that had just been rebuilt. :(

Apart from that wind-up of a job again, she appears as sound as a pound. :)

Before taking the Supra off the road I gave it a big day out and a run up the strip at Santa Pod and the time was pants.

Heat soak from queuing for ages with the engine running, proved to be the final straw for the rubber diaphragm in the Jaguar re-circulation valve.

Over stressed by this greater than it had experienced before heat and with 16psi boost instead of it's designed for 6psi, this rubber diaphragm tried escaping out of the hole that the actuator arm passes through and in doing so, partially/opened the re-circulation valve, consequently, I had zero-ish boost in first, quarter-ish boost in second and half-ish boost maybe in third?

Now that I have explained what was going on, you can hear/see it happening in the real World in this video, that since that very day has been posted up on the Club for all to see.

However, be advised, persons suffering with hormonal issues, may experience temporary blindness and/or go deaf. :D

That was the one and only time it ever played that trick, which further to giving sad bastards great opportunity to take the piss, fortuitously, this also revealed that even when working at it's best, the pants new Jaguar re-circulation valve was secretly spilling 6lbs of boost. This discovery explains the superchargers previously un-explainable by all "variable wailing", which by default exposes the hiding place for many of the missing mythical torque horses!

Ever onward ever upwards, it won't get the chance to do it again because I have bought a shiny new Forge re-circulation valve to replace it during my 500bhp aspiration tinkerings and recovering that lost 6lbs of boost will get it most if not all of the way, with a few recycled budget upgrades to help it along.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=23356&d=1397771146

Even though I haven't had the chance to get my hands dirty on my own Supra, I have used this time to collect components in preparation to build it a 9:1 compression lump with +1mm exhaust valves and with a T.T. oil pump & CPS. This will allow me to run an MA70 CPS for the cam signal in place of the distributor, which in turn might even provide enough room to allow the charger to move forwards by 20mm, where it could be run on it's own toothed belt and have a Q45 T.B. to suck through.

Either or, I'm looking forwards to getting her tarted up running 500bhp and put a few PMT'd Old Wives out of their misery. :rlol:

Thank you for the offer Kevin, I'll take you up on that, you can make the tea and we can make skippyboyo a happybunnyo. :think:

But not until after I have fibre-glassed on this JDL bonnet extension, either, because it's so fast or because the bulge has given the bonnet different aeronydamics? It needs this lip to keep the wipers on the windscreen :)

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=23243&d=1396126118

Thank you for the offer Kevin, I'll take you up on that, you can make the tea and we can make skippyboy a happy bunny. :think:

But not until after I have fibreglassed on this JDL bonnet extension to keep the wipers onto the windscreen :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=23243&d=1396126118

We can do that to. We can paint it then glue it on with PU sealant. Strong stuff

We can do that to. We can paint it then glue it on with PU sealant. Strong stuff

I plan to use strongerer and betterer stuff than that bodyworklexic Wendy tat. :rolleyes:

If you like, you can help me to bond it on with fibreglass mat and resin, reface the surface join with gel coat and then cut it back by hand into a blended form, whilst you make Strong Stuff tea with no sugar and remember to stir the paint with a different spoon. :)

• 2 months later...