The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not at home yet, the bird is still in the bush.

It should be simple enough to carve off the unwanted plumbing because there won't be room for it and then add a transmission line-pressure cable-ramp, but the cruise control may be onto a sticky wicket.

Ideally the induction pipery could do with an upgrade from the present 76mm I.D. to 89mm I.D, yet this 80mm I.D. throttle-body will let more air in than the current 70mm.

In the meanwhile, here's a library snap of one to keep you in the picture.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179324&d=1389547093

Q45 2.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Apparently, to get the Merc air flap to function I need an "inverting driver" .

This is beyond my current knowledge of electrickery and would appreciate input please.

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/?searchTerm=inverting+driver&sra=oss&r=t

It probably just means that you have to bolt it on with one of those newfangled upside down screwdrivers.

Did you speak with Bob G?

I have and it turns out that getting this thing to function is going to be the most problematic part of the transplant.

Subsequently, I've emailed tech support at AEM.

To: [email protected]

Subject: Wavelength

Hello,

I am using an AEM series 1 30-1100 ECU to manage my supercharged Toyota 2JZA80-GE.

The idle control is a Bosch 100 KHZ (2 wire unit) and the bypass-valve is an air-flap from a Mercedes SLK 230 (3 wire unit) that I suspect to be 100 KHZ too.

How can I get the ECU to give the correct square wave signals?

Thank you

David

attachment.php?attachmentid=179255&d=1389470608

Nathan Stewart

10:36 PM (20 hours ago)

David,

What is the 3 wire Mercedes bypass valve being used for? As a supercharger bypass valve to re-circ the air charge through the blower? Does the valve need to be at a position other than fully open or fully closed? If you are trying to PWM it to a some position in between wide open and fully closed, have you verified the wave form that drives it? Most 3 wire PWM valves need a regular PW signal as well as an inverted PW signal in order to work correctly. Unfortunately the 1100 doesn’t have any way of supporting this natively but an external inverting driver can be used.

The IAC PW frequency is set in the Idle template. Look for the Idle PW Frequency option. It looks like the closest frequency selection is 122Hz.

Thanks,

Nate

Tech Support

Which could be good news for the ICV and I also now have half an idea how to control the air flap.

Consequently, I've used parallel logic and made a chance visit to what used to be a Merc Dealership where I was lucky to find 3 Merc trained Petroheads, 2 of whom spent 2 hours looking for the information without success.

Mercedes electronics are constantly evolving and each and every which one component has it's own signature frequencies and/or waveforms and there's a confusing amount of similar electronic-butterfly air-flap components with function titles that are constantly changing, with confusing cross-models PDF Workshop Manuals that are a nightmare hiding in the dark.

A Model specific Workshop Manual set should have the information, one sold today on ebay, it was up to £744 when I last looked.

One of the lads at the Garage thinks he might have a set he's going to have a look tonight.

If not, I may need to track down an SLK 230 and learn how to use an oscilloscope.

Either either and/or any which way later, I then need to find out which one of these gizmo's will give it life.

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/?se...er&sra=oss&r=t

The unit I have is of the strongest design and is a double-default normally-open (mechanical-spring and electronic-default) safety valve with open or closed functions and is unlikely to provide the partially-open position I wanted for the gear-changes, but it may be possible to change the speed at which it opens and closes, which could do both jobs nicely.

Looks like I'll be calling him again soon.

Edited by David P
Thank you for the :) :p (see edit history)

More toys. :)

The Q45 arrived today and I'm very pleased with this bird now in the hand, it's a "minter". :)

At £65 inc signed for first class post was a very good ebuy and I also found a ready made adaptor for it @ £14.99 inc post, Jackpot. :)

Q45 & adaptor

attachment.php?attachmentid=179451&d=1389797632

The butterfly has been cleaned and reassembled off centre, yet no damage done and a 2 minute fix :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=179453&d=1389797632

That'll let a few more bats through the attic :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=179452&d=1389797632

new tb 003-001.JPG

new tb 004-001.JPG

new tb 005.JPG

I have and it turns out that getting this thing to function is going to be the most problematic part of the transplant.

Subsequently, I've emailed tech support at AEM.

To: [email protected]

Subject: Wavelength

Hello,

I am using an AEM series 1 30-1100 ECU to manage my supercharged Toyota 2JZA80-GE.

The idle control is a Bosch 100 KHZ (2 wire unit) and the bypass-valve is an air-flap from a Mercedes SLK 230 (3 wire unit) that I suspect to be 100 KHZ too.

How can I get the ECU to give the correct square wave signals?

Thank you

David

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=179255&d=1389470608

Nathan Stewart

10:36 PM (20 hours ago)

David,

What is the 3 wire Mercedes bypass valve being used for? As a supercharger bypass valve to re-circ the air charge through the blower? Does the valve need to be at a position other than fully open or fully closed? If you are trying to PWM it to a some position in between wide open and fully closed, have you verified the wave form that drives it? Most 3 wire PWM valves need a regular PW signal as well as an inverted PW signal in order to work correctly. Unfortunately the 1100 doesn’t have any way of supporting this natively but an external inverting driver can be used.

The IAC PW frequency is set in the Idle template. Look for the Idle PW Frequency option. It looks like the closest frequency selection is 122Hz.

Thanks,

Nate

Tech Support

Which could be good news for the ICV and I also now have half an idea how to control the air flap.

Consequently, I've used parallel logic and made a chance visit to what used to be a Merc Dealership where I was lucky to find 3 Merc trained Petroheads, 2 of whom spent 2 hours looking for the information without success.

Mercedes electronics are constantly evolving and each and every which one component has it's own signature frequencies and/or waveforms and there's a confusing amount of similar electronic-butterfly air-flap components with function titles that are constantly changing, with confusing cross-models PDF Workshop Manuals that are a nightmare hiding in the dark.

A Model specific Workshop Manual set should have the information, one sold today on ebay, it was up to £744 when I last looked.

One of the lads at the Garage thinks he might have a set he's going to have a look tonight.

If not, I may need to track down an SLK 230 and learn how to use an oscilloscope.

Either either and/or any which way later, I then need to find out which one of these gizmo's will give it life.

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/?se...er&sra=oss&r=t

The unit I have is of the strongest design and is a double-default normally-open (mechanical-spring and electronic-default) safety valve with open or closed functions and is unlikely to provide the partially-open position I wanted for the gear-changes, but it may be possible to change the speed at which it opens and closes, which could do both jobs nicely.

Looks like I'll be calling him again soon.

I would send Bob this latest info and then call him again. I had a very brief chat with him a day or so ago and I am sure if you get him to agree to take a look he will be able to do something for you.

I've started superchargerising the Q45, beginning with the TPS.

Trendy labelled adaptors are around £60, this cost 20p for the allen bolts and washers and made good use of a broken old T.B.

Washer from the bits box.

Piece of TPS mount cut from 1UZ-FE T.B. casting.

TPS paddle from 1UZ T.B, filed out to an only just goes on, tight fit.

Sleeve/spacer component, from 1UZ T.B.

Supra TPS. (1UZ same)

Allen bolts, spring washers and flat washers.

The components

attachment.php?attachmentid=179542&d=1389981160

Before

attachment.php?attachmentid=179543&d=1389981160

Spacer/washer and sleeve/spacer

attachment.php?attachmentid=179544&d=1389981160

Paddle tight on shaft and supported in correct position by the sleeve below it

attachment.php?attachmentid=179545&d=1389981160

The allen bolts hold it all together and Nissan now speaks fluent Toyota :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=179541&d=1389981160

Q45 TPS 009.JPG

Q45 TPS 011.JPG

Q45 TPS 012.JPG

Q45 TPS 013.JPG

Q45 TPS 015.JPG

I've had a few cold-start tinkers with the AEM and found that with the idle PW frequency at 977 Hz and PWM output PW1 inverted, the Bosch AIC is operating smoothly and warming up no longer sounds like Fred Dibnah's traction engine.

The coolant temp goes up faster than I can work so it'll take me another couple of goes to get it right, but think I now have that device of electrickery behaving at last. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=179810&d=1390409597

Mercedes H.Q. Technical Department have responded, they didn't know the air flap frequencies yet they think their Service and Parts Information Department will.

I think I've found an adjustable plug & play inverter that could work as an interface once I know which spec to get.

idle map 003.JPG

I wanted to have the engine remapped before the Japanese Performance Magazine article went to print, yet that's now looking highly unlikely. :(

Still no answer from either Mercedes or Bosch Technical Departments, they either don't know the spec of their own products or can't be ar$ed.

Either way, it's a pi$$ poor effort by the Germans. :shrug:

I've tinkered all that can be tinkered, yet the present Bosch AIC valve and AEM are never going to understand each other.

As a plan B, it's beginning to look like I'll be utilising the Nissan Q45 waxstat cold idle system and hunting down an SLK230 with oscilloscope in hand.

I've begun tinkering with a Lexus 1UZ to Q45 t.b. adaptor, it needs a final fettling and a bracket to locate the cables, but now have the bones to work on. :twak:

The component parts

attachment.php?attachmentid=180285&d=1391477006

Assembled 1UJ side

attachment.php?attachmentid=180286&d=1391477006

Assembled Q45 side

attachment.php?attachmentid=180290&d=1391478605

Outside, in need of a pruning and a cables bracket

attachment.php?attachmentid=180288&d=1391477006

Inside before final fettling

attachment.php?attachmentid=180289&d=1391477006

WP_000042.jpg

WP_000043.jpg

WP_000055.jpg

WP_000065.jpg

WP_000045-001.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. :)

It's hard going with hand tools but coming along.

It's too cold, wet and/or windy to be out there tinkering, so I've been swatting up on the AEM ECU and have reconfigured a copy of the map to function with VVTI coil packs.

Now that's ready I'm itching to swap them in, but further to the fitting will entail before and after timing confirmation checks with the strobe which would have the neighbours on the warpath.

First chance of somewhere to fit them and with A. N. Other to briefly hold the loud pedal @ 4k, I'll get them into the equation.

With weather and one thing and another the last little countdown jobs are dragging, sometimes it's better to wait for the tide to turn. image

Japanese Performance Magazine is out and the photographs are amazing, I never knew my Supra looked so good. :)

A couple of details were off, but it's a job for me to keep up myself sometimes and they said such nice things, thank you.

There are eight pages of Supra's and their Club member owners having a Great day out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=180876&d=1392673863

page 002-001.JPG

With weather and one thing and another the last little countdown jobs are dragging, sometimes it's better to wait for the tide to turn. http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/13/47/13/91/chinoi11.gif

Japanese Performance Magazine is out and the photographs are amazing, I never knew my Supra looked so good. :)

A couple of details were off, but it's a job for me to keep up myself sometimes and they said such nice things, thank you.

There are eight pages of Supra's and their Club member owners having a Great day out.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=180876&d=1392673863

Nice! I'll keep an eye out for JP this month and pick it up when I can!