The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

If the hub nut has lost its preload you can bet your life the bearing is on the way out and the drive flange and splines are wearing as result.The ONLY long term fix is a new flange and new bearing. If it has been fretting for long its probably worn the splines on the outer C/V joint, too. These are much harder, so you may be lucky if you act fast. If you catch things quickly the hassle and expense is reduced significantly. Just re-torquing the nut will NOT work. Sorry....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The play in it was only just noticeable and I've been told more than once that it would be acceptable for anyone else except me. :shrug:

Today I turned up at the Workshop with a new bearing to fit, but Bob wasn't sure if his 10 tonne press would be up to the job, so before risking a big job for nowt, I gave it a nip more.

One "tick" of movement and it's now running smoothly with no play to be found.

I'll keep an eye on it as I do with all of it and when it next complains I'll replace it/them, my focus is to be ready for mapping on the 28th and that will do for now.

I've been putting off the water/meth wiring until I'd cured the timing-spike at tick-over Gremlin, just in case it :think: complecktrickerycated it.

So I came up with the idea of fooling it, by swapping the 90/80C fan-stat for an 85/80C version. :idea:

But it didn't make any difference. :(

Because of Grand Prix traffic managment, the remap has been moved forwards to thursday and need to crack on so finalised the w/m wiring and fired it up. :)

There was a short length of green 6mm pipe between the water pressure switch and the gauge sensor unit that was leaking at the gauge sensor.

Closer inspection revealed that the green 6mm pipe is a gnats nodger smaller than the clear 6mm pipe shown next to it.

The green fits and seals perfectly O.K. in all fittings except the AEM gauge sender unit, the clear is a snugger fit and seals perfectly.

Maybe it's a remnant of Apollo stock?

Yet the strangest part of the tale is that replacing this 3" piece of pipe has cured the tickover timing spike. :)

At max vacuum and max heat, allowing an intermittent induction vacuum leak feeding back through the w/m jets and upsetting the MAP sensor. :rolleyes:

The timing-spike Gremlin is :hunter: evicted at last. :yahoo:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171418&d=1371838864

GREMLIN 015.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Of all the things it could have been, that one took all of the biscuits. :shrug:

I've just stripped off the cooler and changed the plugs, I'll put it back together in the morning after I've cleaned it up a bit. :)

Checked the charger nose up/down alignment and it's spot on. :)

Now the water/meth is up and running, it's max-flow or max-flow @ 400 ccpm?

I've from now until Wednesday to get that behaving itself and fit another cooler onto the gearbox.

I have new gaskets and wrap and ideally I'd have liked to have had another go at the manifold before the remap, and also raise the front before Jap Show, but it's looking likely they'll have to do as is for now.

Glad to hear the meth is running. Have you topped it up and checked the flow gauge. I didn't think you'd got an AEM flow gauge as of yet?

Also, quick question I've been dying to ask. Tried ringing few days ago and just haven't had the chance to get back to you; what ignition bits are you using. I'm still struggling on full boost with the spark being blown out. I can't check the boost exactly, but I know top end of third and forth mainly (due to loading etc as you know already) it's struggling. I've been looking at a few setups with dizzy removed, and saw you had a different ignitor possibly? Red unit?

It runs, but flat-out only. :shrug:

There are 2 grey wires in the 2C loom, yet compared to a 2D/FiA2 loom, these may be fussy whether they go to ground or to the pressure-valve and I'm waiting for an answer on the Aquamist site.

It was the 'Alice' fit of the AEM flow-gauge sensor that was causing the tick-over Gremlin.

I'm using an HKS Twin Power DLI II, MSD Blaster HVC II coil, Nology leads and non-resistor plugs gapped @ 20 thou.

The coil was born blue yet it's had a coat of red paint to match the colour scheme. :whistle:

It's all detailed in the "Ignition" section of "my garage".

It's all back together again and as ready for mapping as it's going to be, I'd like to fit the cooler but that's suffering from Delivery Driver masterbation.

Today whilst driving through town, I was recognised and flagged down by a University Student/Barmaid who apparently is a speed freak and after a prenuptial going over, announced that she wanted to marry my car. :D

That takes my Supra-pull count up to a heady three. :)

Excuse me, yet when a pretty young lady is straining at the leash to be lashed into my M112 rocket and do their damndest to out do some of the clips that can be seen on Youtube, supercharges the testosterone a tad and I can sometimes forget I'm an Old Fart. :innocent:

I'll miss out the naughty bits, but the harder I pushed it and the harder I pulled it, the more she wanted it, which encouraged me to give her such a good-un that I tore the front rubber to hell. :D

She'd make someone a really good rally navigator, bright as a button with nerves-of-steel and only weighs about the same as a bag of crisps.

My Hail Mary's have been issued :amen: and for penance now need a pair of tyres in hurry. :(

:think: This penance should remind me to remember I'm a grown up now, but she's gone and claimed the first ride :tempted: re-match after the remap. :shrug:

Jeremy Clarkson, eat your heart out. ;)

Today whilst driving through town, I was recognised and flagged down by a University Student/Barmaid who apparently is a speed freak and after a prenuptial going over, announced that she wanted to marry my car. :D

That takes my Supra-pull count up to a heady three. :)

Excuse me, yet when a pretty young lady is straining at the leash to be lashed into my M112 rocket and do their damndest to out do some of the clips that can be seen on Youtube, supercharges the testosterone a tad and I can sometimes forget I'm an Old Fart. :innocent:

I'll miss out the naughty bits, but the harder I pushed it and the harder I pulled it, the more she wanted it, which encouraged me to give her such a good-un that I tore the front rubber to hell. :D

She'd make someone a really good rally navigator, bright as a button with nerves-of-steel and only weighs about the same as a bag of crisps.

My Hail Mary's have been issued :amen: and for penance now need a pair of tyres in hurry. :(

:think: This penance should remind me to remember I'm a grown up now, but she's gone and claimed the first ride :tempted: re-match after the remap. :shrug:

Jeremy Clarkson, eat your heart out. ;)

You still referring to the car in the bold text above David, sound like you've pulled mate... Should have took her home to show your tools :D

Was almost like a sex story that mate. Hope you don't give it so hard when I come visit next month. I may not walk again.

I think it probably was, yet it needed video surveillance to spot/count any orgasms because I was so focussed on not crossing the limits I was nudging to take notice. :think:

It looks like I have a 'distraction', so you've no need to fear unless you wander into my line of fire. ;)

I couldn't get the FiA2 to function properly, it wasn't happy with the low-impedance injectors, so I've torn it out and wired in the MF2.

So far so good, but this one doesn't like the 3.5 bar MAP sensor, so I can't get it tested and up to speed until mapping day when the 2 bar MAP sensor is fitted. :shrug:

First test spin with the 3.2" pulley and I told Dan to do his damnedest to make it slip. :scare:

[video=youtube_share;v8blQ-KDal8]

Here's the boost pressure and induction vacuum graph. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=171730&d=1372410693

Here's a bunch of info if it means anything to you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=171732&d=1372410693

Unfortunately not all was plain sailing, at 5.5k rpm the fuel was being trimmed out by a Gremlin and it appears that the crack in the manifold is drawing in air at certain rpm's which is upsetting the Lambda sensor and the crank position sensor is iffy and needs replacing. :(

I've swapped the CPS for another since last time, but it would appear that this hard work is too much to ask of these old sensors and needs to be replaced with a new one.

It took 2 hours of head scratching to find this Gremlin and to fudge it over so we had plenty of these.

Final run, the noise was intense.

There should be enough puff now to be nearer to 500 than 400 at the flywheel, yet because of the Lambda Gremlin the timing has had to be pulled right back and the rev limit reduced to 6k until I get the manifold sorted.

357 bhp @ hubs corrected @ 1.13 = 404 flywheel bhp. :)

That'll do until next time.

We had 2 quick tries of swinging the cam timing, one @ +1 inlet -2 exhaust and another the other way @ -1 inlet +2 exhaust and both reduced power by the same amount. Dan reckons there's a sweet spot we'll find that will even out the dip in torque curve we'll find next time find without the Gremlins, so back to stock settings for now.

I didn't get away until 7pm and we had no time to tinker with the water/meth, yet without it, the max temp of post heat soaked charge-cooled air was 36°C @ 6.5k rpm.

Reducing the torque-convertor lock to 2k rpm has improved the power delivery at the beginning of the curve. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=171731&d=1372410693

1+ Bar in action. :)

[video=youtube_share;p-H4DQsMpXk]

map 3 036.jpg

map 3 034.jpg

map 3 037.jpg

Nice.... :)

glad its getting closer to what you wanted! you'll have to pass by soon so i can have another ride! IF you ever sell this let me know first lol! :p love the sound

Of all the Supra's in all the Towns in all the World, Keron wants mine.

That's a proper compliment. Thank you. :)

1400 ft lb???

I think that number needs a correction calc, but I'm not up to speed with hub dyno gizmology. :think:

Is that the sort of power figure you were hoping for, or were you thinking it would make more?

Still, it make more power than I thought it would make when you initially started out with this project. Fair play for having the determination to see it through, now you can start to properly enjoy it I guess :)