The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water/meth update good news. :)

Richard at ERL has found that the high speed valve wasn't functioning at pressures over 100 psi, yet as I have a twin-pump set-up the system is running closer to 250 psi.

A new one is on it's way.

That will explain it then :)

That will explain it then :)

It's had us both scratching our heads a time or three and I'm pleased to have that crafty Gremlin finally evicted.

With a manifold that's not impersonating a pepper pot and with a working water/meth system, it should at last be ready for the mapping it deserves. :)

The good news is; Humpty Dumpty is back together again and fits better than ever has. :)

The flange slips nicely onto the studs, the flexi is clear of the other branch and with clearance for engine mounting bracket.

attachment.php?attachmentid=173676&d=1376432210

The not so good news is; The welder didn't achieve a proper leak test.

The bad news is; I've found another crack which's another missed weld from it's original construction. :(

I'll get a good seal to the flanges and take it back for this little weld and a proper leak test.

The welder won't be happy about it, but I'm not refitting it until proven sound.

attachment.php?attachmentid=173677&d=1376432210

another crack 001.JPG

another crack 002.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

This little project of mice and men to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, degenerated into a pain of many flavours and I won't trouble you with the details.

:sos: Turtles circle came to my rescue and sorted the trickiest last details of the welding and Shane brought me an O2 sensor to replace a casualty. :thumbs:

Thank you both very much. :friday:

Two-piece flange :flasher: and a wiggly bit, all welded and purged, with relocated O2 sensor and boss for AEM EGT probe. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=174018&d=1377210135

Pre fit wrap.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174019&d=1377210135

The back-breaking second-wrapping about halfway.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174021&d=1377210135

Double-jacked & blue brick under wheel, an adjustable work height to lessen bending and find a sweet spot for the 20 metre :think: Threadawrapathon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174022&d=1377210153

The Mummy reborn and Sanctified with a leaking finger. :amen:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174013&d=1377210097

New bulge fits nicely behind engine mounting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174014&d=1377210097

Bracket first, then stat-housing, throttle-body, new distributor and cap.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174016&d=1377210097

Birds eye view of the Tardis.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174015&d=1377210097

Bottom bracket adjusted to fit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174012&d=1377210097

The job is jobbed.

:)

During the rebuild I found and fixed a partially stripped thread, right at the tight-position on a bellows clip and it's now boosting to 16psi. :innocent:

Found out when I gave a Beemer a Ziip-by Crackle Pop Bang. :D

The detonation Gremlin is evicted and for the first time, it's giving on the road what it gave on the dyno. :)

This time I remembered to dress the strut and give the throttle cable a couple of mm clearance, that's the last of the contact Gremlins and the end of conducted working noises transmitted to the cabin, the exhaust is quieter too, a definite refinement for the conversion.

finished 003.JPG

humpty dumpty 001.JPG

humpty dumpty 003.JPG

humpty dumpty 004.JPG

humpty dumpty 006.JPG

humpty dumpty 009.jpg

rebuild again 017.jpg

rebuild again 018.jpg

rebuild again 023.JPG

rebuild again 024.JPG

rebuild again 025.JPG

rebuild again 028.jpg

The difference this repair has made is remarkable. :)

There's now a "lot" more power and without the extra working noises transmitted from previous throttle-cable/inner-wing contact, this new found Oomph seems to come from nowhere and has turned it into an Animal on wet roads. attachment.php?attachmentid=162647&d=1357833293

Now that acceleration and gear change doesn't include dancing around random detonation events, I can simply press the clitoris pedal and focus on causality. :)

So I decided the time had come to go and play in that mini tunnel I found, it's single track with a hairpin potholed entry then wet good surface and dry hairpin exit.

So I dragged a petro nutter away from his Sunday dinner to hold the camera, he was even brave enough to film the first run, confident that I wouldn't turn him into a red smear along the concrete. :D

No smear, but I did overboost the first run and nearly turned his ears into whelks with the resulting BANG. :rlol:

Just enjoying my favourite birthday present. :innocent:

I don't make a habit of it, but without a sideboard nailed on the front it's amazing what Supra's will do with 45 profile tyres on 18" wheels @ 28psi, I learned that trick driving Eastern European roads and now they're ours too. :)

Here's a clean run without overboosting or rev limiting and with a change up into second in tunnel.

The sound continues resounding like a bell. :D

With the torque-convertor programmed at 1,800 rpm stall, without holding the brakes it boosts from a standing start. :D

The torque curve is broad and flat and acceleration is constant thrust, even during gear-changes.

It pulls like a train in 3rd, from 40 to 140, changes are more for drama and the sheer fun of it than need. :)

You'll get a go in it one of these days and it'll be even swifter by then than now. :think:

I'm happy with the exhaust and now attending to a few tinkerings in preparation for the Old Girl to get a proper mapping at last.

There's a small leak in the supercharger to charge-cooler flange where I've polished away too much of the aluminium weld and have a pair of proper new hose-tails for the swirl-pot to replace the present chair-legs.

The idler-pulley on the front of the engine has too small a bearing to function efficiently, so using an adaptor will be changing it for the water-pump idler I had made, this pulley is slightly smaller and will allow the sky-hook idler to run further away from the supercharger pulley.

I'm not happy with the transmission, second-gear is too slow and the clutches too weak and I've become to suspect that the Yank who modified the valve-body has reassembled the check-valves incorrectly, so will hybridise and swap in another box using a stock N/A valve-body with beefed up actuators.

The water/meth system is now working, but in need of a pair of one-way check-valves for the twin-pumps. (Ordered)

The aluminium welding and pulley-adaptor fabrication are arranged for monday, which will leave just the trans swap and some final tinkerings to set up the now working water/meth system. :)

I've found a little welding and engineering Workshop, where for a drink I can go to and get little jobs done during their lunch-break. :)

It's a bit rural and the field next to where I'd dismantled the induction was invaded by combine harvesters and I had to work in between their passes when the air had cleared a bit and was too busy to take any pics.

The charger exit flange has been re-welded on the inside where it won't get polished off and the swirl-pot has a new pair of proper hose-tails that are nice and easy to work with. :)

This workshop is making something that helps makes satellites and the sudden unexpected mega cereal fallout caused quite a stir, so the pulley-adaptor will get done next time. :shrug:

One-way valves are fitted and the water/meth is up and running. :)

Final jobs remaining are to build and fit a Hybrid transmission then swap in some decent plugs and the Old Girl will be ready for; the just about as good as it's likely to get mapping. :)

The idler-pulley adaptor will maybe be ready by the weekend, Denso IK24 plugs are ordered, a transmission pan-filter is winging it's way from U.S, and I should have another transmission to tinker with in a day or two. :)

:think: I thought I had the w/m under control, however, there is too much pressure for the new high-speed valve and it needs a gauge on the regulator for adjustment and monitoring. :shrug:

On 13th Sept, the car will have been officially supercharged for a year and was my target for a Gremlin less mapping, yet with waiting-time for the 'things' to complete these last tinkerings and a 3 week lead to get on the dyno, I need just a little more patience. :tongue:

500hp target?

Yes. :)

But I try and avoid mentioning numbers, :think: just in case it upsets anyone. ;)

Here's a clip of the w/m activating @ over 5-6psi that might interest you and how rich under boost the AFR's now are without the LAMBDA sensor trimming fuel out of the map.

Cruise is 14.7 on the button, so I need to be a 'good boy' for just a little longer. :shrug:

At around 2-4k rpm in third, first two are gentle, third is WOT and fourth and fifth medium pedal.

From the top; AFR - Boost - W/M - EGT.