The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new distributer has arrived from Japan. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=172587&d=1374243376

Which I hope is good news :think: because Mr T. either hasn't worked it out, or has and is too tight to pack & wrap correctly.

It looks O.K. yet won't be 100% sure until it has proven so.

I've reported that there could be an issue with this unit and think Mr T. needs to decide if he wants to have or eat his cake!

attachment.php?attachmentid=172588&d=1374243405

attachment.php?attachmentid=172589&d=1374243405

attachment.php?attachmentid=172590&d=1374243405

distributor 008-001.JPG

distributor 006-001.JPG

distributor 009-001.JPG

distributor 012-001.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

The new distributer has arrived from Japan. :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=172587&d=1374243376

Which I hope is good news :think: because Mr T. either hasn't worked it out, or has and is too tight to pack & wrap correctly.

It looks O.K. yet won't be 100% sure until it has proven so.

I've reported that there could be an issue with this unit and think Mr T. needs to decide if he wants to have or eat his cake!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=172588&d=1374243405

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=172589&d=1374243405

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=172590&d=1374243405

Lovely bit of packaging :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've not achieved much of late, every time I tinker with wires in the footwell, costs me two days in bed. :(

Nevertheless, I've rewired the MF2 from coil earth to Crank Position Sensor and now have a correct rpm readout. :)

However, it turns out that the MF2 has been recalibrated to run with a higher pressure MAP sensor. :shrug:

Sending it off to Aquamist today for a retrim.

Everything's prepared for the manifold crack repair and will strip it down on Wednesday as long as the weather lets me.

I'm not looking forwards to this at all as I know my degenerating spine will make me pay dearly.

How can you tell its been re-calibrated?

Everything appears to be working as it should, :think: except it's not working. :confused:

I bought the MF2 second hand from a T.T. single that was broken and beginning to suspect that it could have been recalibrated to operate at higher boost?

After my umpteenth chat with Richard at ERL, I'm sending him both the MF2 and high-speed valve for his inspection to get this job jobbed before my head falls off my neck. :shrug:

After 3 consecutive days of broken promises of assistance, I've bitten the bullet and broken my back again. :shrug:

The crack that many have claimed to be merely a figment of my imagination, is as clear as day now the mummy is naked.

For the record, I've posted pics of both sides of the Autobahn88.

The Lambda Gremlin crack

attachment.php?attachmentid=173192&d=1375538625

attachment.php?attachmentid=173190&d=1375538625

attachment.php?attachmentid=173191&d=1375538625

crack 004.jpg

crack 005.jpg

crack 006.JPG

I know the welder will curse me, yet I hope not in vain. :amen:

There's no flexi-section, but a very substantial bracket at the exit.

My decision re. adding a flexi-section into the fronts secondary, will be made after I see how the repair weld behaves.

the weld may just create another weak spot for a future crack to form under expansion- contraction and vibration, the two branches of three will pull against each other on heat up and cool down so in an ideal world one should have some form of flexi in it, or some kind of megga bracing

id personally put a section in it now whilst its off and it wouldnt take long, especially as its clear from the type of cracking that the metal is becoming brittle

ive repaired 100's of these style of manifolds and customers first go with a repair weld and possible brace, then take my advice after a 100 miles and another crack

the weld may just create another weak spot for a future crack to form under expansion- contraction and vibration, the two branches of three will pull against each other on heat up and cool down so in an ideal world one should have some form of flexi in it, or some kind of megga bracing

id personally put a section in it now whilst its off and it wouldnt take long, especially as its clear from the type of cracking that the metal is becoming brittle

ive repaired 100's of these style of manifolds and customers first go with a repair weld and possible brace, then take my advice after a 100 miles and another crack

As I have previously posted, it's a boots, belt and braces job this time.

I've cleaned it up, fitted the flange-plates and found a small crack starting at the secondary's join.

Until it was off it wasn't possible to know what size was needed, 2.5" is the secondary O.D. and a 4" flexi will just go in, now ordered.

Crack cleaned up and also what might have been a miss when made

attachment.php?attachmentid=173202&d=1375548555

Beginnings of a crack at join

attachment.php?attachmentid=173200&d=1375548555

The O2 sensors have their threads soaking in oil and wrapped up to protect them

attachment.php?attachmentid=173201&d=1375548555

from manifold wrestling

attachment.php?attachmentid=173203&d=1375548555

No mate I'd replace the whole thing, the weld will only last so long before the bits around it crack

A new one only costs around a Grand, :think: it's my birthday in a couple of weeks so now you know what to get me. ;)

crack 2 002.JPG

crack 2 008.JPG

crack 2 011.JPG

crack 2 012.JPG

ive repaired 100's of these style of manifolds

I've said this before, pity you're not local. :shrug:

After sleeping some torture off, I've had another bending session on this job and it's not as simple as it might be.

A flexi joint will require 1/2" clearance that's not there, so it'll require a dogleg in the secondary and relocation of the O2 sensor.

attachment.php?attachmentid=173201&d=1375548555

I've plonked it back together and there's room to do this by removing the cracked section and O2 sensor mount, then rebuilding with the mount further forwards.

A tricky thing to explain to the welder who'll be 20 miles from being able see if it'll fit. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=173233&d=1375612624

attachment.php?attachmentid=173234&d=1375612624

attachment.php?attachmentid=173236&d=1375612624

attachment.php?attachmentid=173235&d=1375612624

manifold repair 001.JPG

manifold repair 003.JPG

manifold repair 008.JPG

manifold repair 012.JPG

Exactly, it's 50 metres away out the back and in need of some tinkering, yet couldn't because I'd have missed the Postman who didn't come and now I'll have to waste another day playing the same silly game. :shrug:

Notwithstanding it'll only leave the welder 1 day of her boss's holiday to do the job and I have to leave here tomorrow to return home and without transport then run around after it, all because some **** was too incompetent to lick a stamp.

After hanging around all day for the 2.5" flexi-joint by signed for delivery, it turns out that MIJ Exhaust "forgot" to post my express delivery item. :badmood:

Well I for one, shall definitely not be ordering an MIJ Exhaust component until they sort their act out!

That's MIJ Exhaust ermmm, seller or outfit. Yeah.

I mean no.

(Edit; taken on balance, I think this post can be said to equally and fairly promote as well as denigrate and attempt to demolish the reputation of an obviously very poorly performing customer service department in a possibly very technically competent cowboy outfit, allegedly. I shall however remove it for legal reasons if requested to do so and give my permission to do so unasked if necessary, not that my permission is required of course but you know what I mean).

Edited by Morpheus
I meant no. I mean, I meant no before the last bit. (see edit history)

because I'd have missed the Postman who didn't come

Eh?

If he didn't come, why did you wait for him to arrive? :think:

It reminds me of the line from "A New England" by Billy Bragg, "When at last it didn't ring, I knew it wasn't you."

Edited by Morpheus
Just toying with concepts and ideas. I mean, what's it all about anyway? (see edit history)

If you look past MIJ's fancy website there is another exhaust company putting out work of much better quality only ten minutes down the road from them for cheaper prices (at least cheaper for exhausts, I'm not sure about there price for flexis). Try John Ashley Exhausts in Walsall next time, speak to John (the owner) and tell him Rich with the Supra put you there way and I'm sure he will sort you out. He's a good bloke and a few members have used him on my recommendation with good results.

MIJ's incapability to lick a stamp has put the job well behind schedule, then, it was "lost" by the Post Office, maybe I should send them both a bill for their incompetence? :think:

Without being able to tack it as I went I had to tape it and it was fiddly fabrication, but just managed to complete the jigsaw pieces before the welder turned up and took it.

It'll be glued back together on monday or tuesday? :think:

Before

attachment.php?attachmentid=173456&d=1376062421

So far so good

attachment.php?attachmentid=173457&d=1376062421

flexifit 001.jpg

mending 004.jpg