The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

Is that the sort of power figure you were hoping for, or were you thinking it would make more?

Still, it make more power than I thought it would make when you initially started out with this project. Fair play for having the determination to see it through, now you can start to properly enjoy it I guess :)

Without the Lambda fuel-pulling Gremlin.

Without the Crank Position timing-tremble Gremlin.

With the water/methanol injection up-to-speed.

With some decent plugs.

With a successful cam adjustment.

I reckon there's enough puff now to have 500bhp @ the flywheel very worried.

:think: But I thought I'd just said all that?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done David, coming together now.

344ftlb

Cheers for that. :)

344 @ hubs corrected @ 1.13 = 389 ftlb @ flywheel, :think: I think.

It's a tad frustrating that there's a couple of random Gremlins hanging on in there, but now I know where they're hiding I'll evict them ASAP.

:think: But I thought I'd just said all that?

Apologies if I missed something.... I've had about 10 hours sleep in total this week, so I'm reading but the words aren't always going in.

I tried to put the kettle in the fridge this morning after making tea :D

Either way, it's admirable the way you've stuck with it, not knocking it at all !

Apologies if I missed something.... I've had about 10 hours sleep in total this week, so I'm reading but the words aren't always going in.

I tried to put the kettle in the fridge this morning after making tea :D

Either way, it's admirable the way you've stuck with it, not knocking it at all !

I haven't managed to stand up yet today, so maybe you could use it to make me a cuppa in bed before the water gets cold. ;)

The alternator is sorted with one from a T.T. auto, 100 amp-er straight swap, it even snuck in and out from behind the bottom leg of the sky-hook idler-bracket without disturbing the alignment. :)

Many thanks to a poorly Turtle, who fought off his man-flu to find me an alternator and then blag access to a secret Workshop for my Supra pit-stop and his Mustang tinkerings.

Cheers James, for a spontainious and alternative petroheads afternoon/eve out. :)

The crack in the manifold is confusing the Lambda sensor, so I'm having to be careful how I deliver the beans and avoid detonation, but gave him a few very carefully fed demo squirts.

Wet and greasy busy B roads with a nearly full U.K. fuel tank, 12 litres of w/m in the tank and another 5 litres container, Bob's big battery, my tool box, another bits and bobs box, 2 drive-shafts, one propshaft, an alternator, my socket set and things various, including a pair of Mustang rocker covers in the back.

Supercharged Supravan traction technology in action :D

Now spinning faster, the charger has a constant 'growl on' and the throttle has been upgraded from 'clitoris', to 'orgasm' pedal.

The sound of it is more addictive than drugs and the power delivery is like rocket thrust. :)

I can't get the w/m to function, the high-speed valve is not working, but the diagnostic tests show O.K.

I'll try bypassing it and use the Suprastick to trigger an all or nothing on/off system.

Courtesy of my Suprastick wingman Steve, thank you. I now have a manual w/m on/off option and a basic drag map in the auto programs, it was a busy time and when finished I let him have the trundle home.

The manifold is getting poorly-er by the day, I hope it can manage one more, flooding the engine with w/m blinds the random det and as long as it continues to behave, I'm hoping to get a run or two in tomorrow. :)

Not the most awesome vids, just a pair of Petroheads doing what Petroheads do and as it happens, :think: just as it happened.

[video=youtube_share;FR-zaWNwBnE]

The crack in the manifold is getting worse and the irregular random fuel trimming from the Lambda sensor is getting worse with it. :(

I gave up with the water/meth ECU and high-speed valve late last night and this morning fitted a check valve direct to the pumps.

At the touch of a button, 600 ccpm or nought and/or enough to hydrolock and destroy my test-pilot engine at low revs.

During my last minute adjustment tweaks I managed to damage the supercharger belt reducing it from 6 ribs to 5, the 2 spare Gatorback belts are still in the post somewhere, so with a squib of Gary's wonder juice belt dressing, I was a very naughty boy and went and ran it at the Jap Finale. :blush:

I'd washed it only last thursday, so parked in the Show and Shine section. :D

Run 1:

Bloke One "You don't want to run that mate"!

Me "What do you know that I don't mate"?

Him "When a turbocharger sounds like a supercharger, they often don't make it down the strip and then they have to do a lot of cleaning up."

Me "If the odds are better for a supercharger that sounds like a supercharger, then with a bit of luck I should make it to the other end."

Bloke One :think: gives me confused approval to pass.

Bloke Two "You've got 2 white lights mate".

Me "Is that good news or bad news mate"?

Him "You need to go forwards a bit mate"

Me "O.K."

Him "Too far mate"

Me "Oops sorry."

I engage reverse and ease it back on the brakes until he gets the 4 white lights he's after, then one millionth of a second later, the green light light came on.

Stationary and still in still reverse, I just sat there and gave Bloke Two, a WTF look.

Him laughing. :D "You can still have a go mate."

Hold on the brakes, launch and hit the w/m button @ 3k rpm, 600 ccpm is a lot of water and which blinded the dreaded detonation, but doesn't return the power lost from the detonation in the first place.

Yet the most amazing thing is, there was no belt-slip, maybe I can afford to trade a little belt-wrap for idler-distance, which would make the belt-alignment far happier.

Here's a clip that will absolve Abz a little. :D

Maybe the bloke in the GTR thought I was being generous and had given him a head start. ;)

I'll post run 2 tomorrow, I've barely slept for the previous 4 days and I'm tired.

abz will be happy with that one lol,

i look forward to the other vids where hopfully you get your tecnique down :D come on spill the beans what was your best time?

(told you that belt dressing stuff works wonders)

It was the belt-dressing that caused the problem in the first place, giving the belt a squib for luck, the wind caused some to waft around onto the outside of the belt and become sticky to the idler which caused the belt to walk up the shoulder of the supercharger pulley which broke its back the long way around leaving the front rib hanging on by a few threads.

Will finish post later, have another busy day today catching up on a few of the things I put aside to get on with the Project.

Whilst there I met Rob Mitchell for the first time yet didn't recognise him, because from the pics I'd seen thought he was a short F.B, however, he told me "Geo had sorted him out" and I replied, "I didn't need to know how he'd got you up on your toes". ;)

I'd emptied the tools and spares I dare go nowhere without and the OBX manifold Rob had brought for me into the back of Turtles Mustang, but he and Littler were leaving, so the second run was with it all back in the back. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171947&d=1372691797

Queuing for a second run, I noticed that the charge-cooler coolant-temp was up to 60°C, which meant that my charge-cooler had become a charge-heater. :(

Before going again, I'll fit a manual override switch to the fans. :)

On arrival, Bloke One still looked confused, yet let me pass without challenge. :)

I put all 4 lights on and Bloke Two was happy too. :)

I double braked ready for launch, yet this caused the nose to strain forwards by around a millimeter and a nodger of a second before the green light came on, I got a red light so didn't move. :shrug:

Bloke Two "You need to move back a bit and get all 4 of those green lights back on.

Me "O.K."

I engage reverse and creep back the naughty millimeter and all 4 white lights come on and guess what, one millionth of a second later the damn green ones on and I'm sat there in reverse, again. :shrug:

Bloke two and I exchange dejavu glances then I slam it in D and nail it.

This time without w/m, first was a livelier start with a bit of wheelspin, second was random detonation and third was determined detonation so I hit the Fire Brigade button whilst keeping my boot in.

I've noticed that during the second half of second gear, revs seem to move faster than acceleration and wondering if that means my torque-converter is poorly? :think:

After this second run I gave myself a good talking to and decided to stop whilst I was winning, if you get I mean.

The terminal times were identical and nothing amazing but after all this time I've eventually given it a go and when it's finally behaving, what I learned will come in handy and I had a good day out too :)

On the bright side, it's the fastest N/A auto without Nos injection. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=172026&d=1372967518

Santa Pod 1 003.jpg

times 001.jpg

Just received a letter from Parcel Farce.

They inform me that the two Gatorback belts I've been desperately waiting for have been in the country for some time, yet are being held to ransom.

The Pound/Dollar exchange rate has changed since I ordered them which, raised the package contents value from £14.86 to £15.28.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodyear-4060980-Gatorback-Poly-V-Belt/250737001274?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D8833275948479806482%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D250737001274%26

This fluctuation since purchase has caused the package contents to become 28 pence over the £15 limit, which automatically instigates the financial scam and collusion between Robbing Tax Hoods and Parcel Farce's compulsory slice of the action, resulting with a demand of £16.85 for something that only cost £14.86 in the first place.

28 penneth of Government incompetence = £16.85 of legalised extortion.

I vote for Guy Fawkes.

Sorry if I've missed it, but what times/terminals did you do?

By default, you've missed them by four posts.

The pic had frazzled to an empty box? :think: So I've re-uploaded where they/it were/was, in post 1513.

Update:

I have another pair of new O.E. exhaust-manifold gaskets.

I have another 40m of exhaust-wrap and a bundle of stainless-steel ties.

I have ordered a new O.E. distributer that must be sent from Japan, E.T.A. U.K. 13th July.

I have arranged a location to work on it that's logistically doable, because it can't be a runner by the end of the day with this job :(

I have coordinated this to coincide with my new found Lady Stig tigger's Bosses holiday. :innocent:

I will arrange for a remap second week of August, :think: I hope.

It will be ready for a scuffle or three at the Clubs Birthday Meet, which happens to be my birthday too. :)

I've had a good look at this OBX manifold I've bought, yet the works required to modify it for purpose, would be a logistical impossibility for me. :shrug:

I'm making a jig to both locate and seal the now two-piece Autobahn88 manifold face, another to seal the 3" exit and another for the sensor hole that'll be reborn with an AEM EGT sensor to be dedicated to the ECU.

The welder will first repair the crack, then re-weld all the other welds on the manifold, then chemically crack-test and pressure leak-test.

I might even get her to fit a stainless-steel flexi-section in the front secondary whilst she's at it.

It's likely to be gone for several days, then to be fitted and re-mummified with the help of another young Lady who happens to be a qualified First Aider. :thumbs:

The Return of the Mummy, :think: wearing his new Sunday best bandages. :D

Of all the Blokes in all the Pubs, who can only talk the talk and frown at my occasional Freudian "fanimold" slip. :shrug:

Ironically, amongst them I've found two lovely Lady's, who can walk the walk, one who TIG welds for payment in pints of cider and the other because she's itching to get her hands on it. :think:

Roll on August. :D

Come to think of it. :think: It's a Lady who serves me at the local Motor-Factor and other Ladies who deliver telephone orders within 4 hours F.O.C.

I spotted :think: one of them out in a Company van today and couldn't resist giving her :devil: a screaming squirt-by.

There was a new light-clattering sound from the front that didn't sound important enough to abort the blast, so mission accomplished. :D

I later discovered that the front rib of the belt that was only hanging on by a thread, now isn't. :shrug:

The 6-rib belt is now more a 4-rib than a 5, yet still pulls to 15 lbs without slip, :) when the Gatorbacks ransom payment is responded to and after they've successfully ran the Parcel Farce Gauntlet of Hell, I'll minimise the secondary-tensioner, it could probably even manage without it.

I'll have to be a good-boy and drive it like a granny for a while. :innocent:

I'm still hoping for input to my; "Is that my torque-converter slipping"? question.

Maybe there's a Lady who could help me out with that one too? :shrug:

Could you not brace the manifold while it's off? As well as doing the welds.

Mine was rushed, but that's what I want to do. Though it's supported with a lug on the downpipe on the gearbox, I still wanted extra bracing.

It'll be fine without as it would be now, if I hadn't have clonked it on that kerbstone in Dans Car-destroyer Park.

You've the weight of a turbo hanging on yours.

It was more the weight of the exhaust as it's solid mount on mine :*( They kindly welded a lug anyway as I was concerned. Nice chaps!

How you getting on with the matched meth flow, is that working yet or in the pipe line to be finished soon?

The MF2 reads rpm correct until 3.5k, then see's only 2k at any higher revs and the high-speed valve is not functioning?

I'm waiting for an answer to these conundrums on the Aquamist site, yet it may have something to do with the iffy CPS in the distributor.

At the mo, it's 600 ccpm or nothing, at the press of the Fire Brigade button. :shrug:

I was invited to this meet to drink free beer, but I forgot. :shrug:

So I've been sent this vid to remind me to go and drink some of their beer next time. :)

Q-Prep, located in Oundle where I went to school… and owned by one of the biggest wankers in the business! Quentin something…. proper nob-munch that thinks the sun shines out of his own arse, and loves to tell you, "Just how incredibly expensive what he does is!". Cockbarge.