The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks and sounds amazing mate!

You know when you have a image in your head of somebody that you have spoke to but havnt met!

Well you are nothing like that image! Lol

But to put it nicely I was always told to listen and respect the elderly so with that in mind :

:D ;)

:D

Love the vids! Definitely louder than mine!

(Expected 1/4 mile time now?)

Between stock T.T. and BPU at the mo? :think:

I've never seen a thread when the op uses so many smileys! :) :) :) :) :) are you expecting the same time on the quarter as a standard twin auto now then?

I like my Oompa Loompa's. :)

Also are you still going with the Aston re spray idea?

Yes, but not until the nuts&bolts jobs are jobbed.

Great read as usual David! An even better video footage! I can hear the cow spat flicking up in the arches! From a seasoned professional drag racer I can confirm that was a great run!

Car sounds lovely, especially the super charger whirl! :cool:

Thank you. :thumbs:

I'm itching to get a decent fly-by vid-clip but yesterday was Guano day and today was sleet and strong winds.

Also if the power figures are what your looking for is going manual out of the question?

Hahaha sorry for the questions, your dedication is admirable, I've just read most of the thread and missed bits I think.

My garage has details of all present and planned specifications.

I plan to wring another 100 bhpftlbs out of it yet, auto is quicker than manual and flappy-paddle gear-changing is fun. :shrug:

Looks and sounds amazing mate!

You know when you have a image in your head of somebody that you have spoke to but havnt met!

Well you are nothing like that image! Lol

But to put it nicely I was always told to listen and respect the elderly so with that in mind :

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/jamielfoster86/9B6B2EF0-A9FA-4F81-BC6D-10B5507D9104-512-0000004706BFE8CD_zps38e5d424.jpg

:D ;)

:D

I'm degenerating into a grim state with this trapped nerve and my Old Fartness is shining through. :shrug:

Nevertheless, I still managed to pick up and carry my end of Dave's transmission to load it into his Jazz.

Then in my Supra, managed put the willies up him before I'd even changed into second, so there's life in the Old Fart yet. ;)

Those flappy wheels will make the job a lot easier, you'll be amazed how much material they soon shift, I prefer the ones that have double that depth of abrasive.

The sounds are coming together nicely, the supercharger whine will be a tad higher when the smaller pulley goes on and should then sing a harmony with the SARD pipes. :)

The looks will be a lot better once it's sprayed Aston Martin California Sage metallic. :)

I need to swap in a 4.083 Torsen, repair and fit the reworked valve-body and complete the water/meth installation upgrade.

Then apart from a few maintenance jobs and electrickery conundrums to attend to, it'll be ready for the 3.6" pulley and another session on the dyno.

I'm looking to access a Workshop with a lift, to allow me to cheat the weather and complete most of this in a day.

Today, Dave The Plethera turned up to pick up a transmission, wearing a T shirt that I'm sure had "I'm Anal" printed on it? :think:

My efforts to convince him that he must prove his Supra Nerdness by standing beside the road in rain and wind to record a fly-by clip, had to include a promise that he wouldn't die. :rlol:

However, the wind on the microphone was louder than most of my Supra's noises, but it does show a constant-thrust/constant-traction 2nd to 3rd gear-change. :)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

This trapped nerve is getting beyond a joke now and I haven't been up to much Supra stuff, :( but have given the broken valve-body a good clean and inspection.

The pan filter I've declared a write-off yet I'm confident that the damage to the casting has gone no further than can be seen :) and as it's merely an oil squirter I've straightened it up, keyed-it, cleaned it with methanol and repaired both inside and out, with Plastic Padding Super Steel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164888&d=1361466042

attachment.php?attachmentid=164887&d=1361466042

attachment.php?attachmentid=164886&d=1361466042

vb 010.JPG

valve-body 004.JPG

valve-body 008.JPG

Sounds good! Nice work.

I'll be pleased when the job is completely jobbed.

There are 2 sensor bosses that need welding into the mid-pipe and I've been looking around to have the job done with stainless wire, so avoiding further encouragement of anodic oxidation.

However, about all you can get in Kettering; is a cup of coffee and a Parking Ticket.

There aren't any places local that can do this yet one found at Northampton that wants what works out to be, £300 per hour to do it. :faint:

"We can do it today Sir."

"I wonder why?

No you won't!

Goodbye."

Stainless steel welding rods £5.80 with free P&P. :)

I'll whip it out and do it myself in half an hour, as soon as my back is feeling a little happier. :shrug:

David, why don't you pop over to Barnack this weekend where i'll be working on my car? We have a top-notch kempi mig, bring some stainless wire and you can borrow the ramp to do your bits if you need. Plus I want a look at the beast!

Failing that I know a man who is handy with a tig, and will do it for about a fiver! I could do it for you but I don't often get access to the tig myself. :(

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

David, why don't you pop over to Barnack this weekend where i'll be working on my car? We have a top-notch kempi mig, bring some stainless wire and you can borrow the ramp to do your bits if you need. Plus I want a look at the beast!

Failing that I know a man who is handy with a tig, and will do it for about a fiver! I could do it for you but I don't often get access to the tig myself. :(

That's an offer I can't refuse. :)

Thank you very much. :thumbs:

I'll telephone you at a sociable hour to discuss my "bits". :think:

Looking forwards to showing her off too. :)

That's an offer I can't refuse. :)

Thank you very much. :thumbs:

I'll telephone you at a sociable hour to discuss my "bits". :think:

Looking forwards to showing her off too. :)

Give me a call on saturday morning mate, working odd hours this week. I'll be at the workshop no later than 10. The upside to having a ramp means you will hopefully find it more difficult to drop the car on your head!

Oh, best get 0.8mm wire, the Kempi does not enjoy 0.6!

I've just had an "Ureka moment". :nana:

The random intermittent miss-fire Gremlin is;

Heat from the headers expanding the TPS casing, causing the signal voltage to arc, causing the timing to twitch.

It's happening too fast for the ECU to correctly display the fault and it showed up in a related knock sensor circuit.

When fitted it was a "jumpy sensor" and needed to be set at a full twist to give a clean sweep without reading the top of the scale whilst at the bottom, now with a full bonnet, at tickover under bonnet temp is up, which is why it didn't happen on the dyno and why it dithers in and out with the thermostat controlled fans when standing at tick-over and why it doesn't happen when driving and why it goes away and hides when I open the bonnet to look for it. :shrug:

I'll swap it for another from my collection that's happier to live with the throttle-body and insulate/ventilate to remedy.

The exhaust manifold has 10 layers of wrap and UEGO sensors don't like it too hot, located back there it's in the correct working-temp range.

There's more to be done to the exhaust yet, but that job alone was just one straw short of breaking the camel, but the most important job has been jobbed. :)

I'm going to reduce the tail-pipe size from 3.5" ID down to 3", fit another EGT sensor to the front of mid-pipe, make a new branch-section incorporating a small-resonator, then re-fit the OE heat-shield and tunnel-brace.

New 3" bore 4" OD stainless-steel tail-pipe

attachment.php?attachmentid=165302&d=1362426583

AEM EGT gauge sensor and fitting

attachment.php?attachmentid=165300&d=1362426583

Present (and failing) Y branch section

attachment.php?attachmentid=165303&d=1362427022

Donor Skyline 3" bore stainless-steel resonator

attachment.php?attachmentid=165301&d=1362426583

AEM EGT probe and bung.jpg

custom.JPG

new pipe end.JPG

EUGO 010.JPG