The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time is drawing near, for repair/rebuild of the exhaust system, I planned to remove the ferrous Spiraflow and replace it with two more in stainless, re-welding with stainless wire.

An extra job sneaking back onto the list and with a higher priority than other things I'd sooner be getting on with when circumstance allows.

I'm about had enough of having to make 'things' and want to get on with the final nuts&bolts jobs and fortunately, at the right time this Sard A-rouse system came up for sale, which looks too much like an "off-the-shelf ready-made Baby-Bears-Bed supercharged-Supra exhaust-system at the right-price" to be ignored. :think:

I'll just need to weld in a wide-band sensor-fitting for a plug&play fit and it'll save me a lot of work.

On a BPU T.T. it's 89dB so I reckon there's a good chance it'll sound a 'respectable' Mutts nutleys with my set up. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=163868&d=1359822836

sard.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Do those spiral tips actually increase power or are they like the aforementioned electric turbos?

How about a tip whistler so that it at least sounds like a turbo? :D

How's your back anyway? You're gonna need it fitting that new system. Goggles or spec's too. ;)

Nothing ruins a good old spannering session like exhaust rust in yer eyes!

Do those spiral tips actually increase power or are they like the aforementioned electric turbos?

How about a tip whistler so that it at least sounds like a turbo? :D

How's your back anyway? You're gonna need it fitting that new system. Goggles or spec's too. ;)

Nothing ruins a good old spannering session like exhaust rust in yer eyes!

The spiral mufflers are free-flowing, small enough to be fitted almost anywhere and take out 7dB each, I like them.

My back is still on the condemned list. :(

You don't need one of those. :no:

attachment.php?attachmentid=163918&d=1359893401

When you have one of these. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=163917&d=1359893401

new charger on 009-002.JPG

penis whistle.jpg

Dave are the pipes larger then stock on that exhaust? Stock is 2" iirc,

It starts off at 3" then splits into 2 x 2.5" and back to a 3.5" - 4"?

This gradual volumetric increase prevents back-pressure from cooling gas density and makes a 3" system think it's 4".

It's so quiet on a T.T. I'm confident it shouldn't be too loud on my "N/A", I just hope it's not too "Lee Marvin". :think:

It starts off at 3" then splits into 2 x 2.5" and back to a 3.5" - 4"?

This gradual volumetric increase is to keep cooling gasses moving, it makes a 3" system think it's 4".

It's so quiet on a T.T. I'm confident it shouldn't be too loud on my "N/A", I just hope it's not too "Lee Marvin". :think:

Agreed with the 2.5 x 2 equates to almost a 4" volume iirc .

I was contemplating doing something like this to a stock system changing the pipes to 2.5 for better flow but keep quiet,

Boosted up-to 1 Bar through Autobahn88 headers with no cats and a 3" un-baffled system on an "N/A".

Making/finding/modifying a system that ticks all the boxes and produces a fruity sound that doesn't make your ears bleed is mostly untrodden ground.

Splitting into 2 unequal length pipes and back again removes circa 7dB and creates a convenient place for a resonator which removes another circa 7dB.

With 3 resonators and the twin-tube trick, maybe this could be; :think: The Holy Grail for Supercharged Supra Pipes. :amen:

I'm keen to find out what noises Cinderella's Growler will make? :innocent:

I like the look of that exhaust. My Tanabe is nice and quiet; that looks even more so :)

Here's a clip of it on a BPU T.T. @ 89dB, quiet as a hurse.

Without a turbo or two to break up the sound waves it'll be a :wtf: different :wooohoo: animal, I'll post up a taste the difference clip. ;)

I need to modify this 'new' exhaust system.

Presently it begins with a 72mm ID (3" OD) and I plan to re-fabricate using 76mm ID.

I'm looking for a foot of 76mm ID stainless steel pipe with a flange and hoping that someone somewhere has a dead mid-pipe or exhaust system that could donate this section.

Thank you

attachment.php?attachmentid=164016&d=1359990858

I darn't admit the huge amounts of pain killers I've popped during the past few days and after yet another sleepless night, this morning in desperation I used the wardrobe door handle as; The finger of God to lean apon, and eased apart the offending vertebra, ten minutes of this firm and gentle prying and Bingo, a self taught, self administered Osteopractor hits the jackpot. :)

Ding-Dong!

It's the SARD exhaust system. :)

I've been laid out like a hunched corpse for three days and needed a reality check which I received from having to visit nine Motor-Factors to find and buy 5 gaskets then popped into my local friendly garage at 4pm.

There I watched 3 of them wrestling for 45 mins changing a back box on a little white van, then it was my turn.

"What fit that lot! it's a bit late for that", he said. "Trust me", I replied, as I emptied the pile of pipes and "things" out from the back of my Supra van.

Just as the lift was up to working height the phone rang. "Back in a minute" he said.

10 minutes later he returned to find that the Leprechauns had been and done it, and swept up, and I was waiting to scrounge a cable tie to secure the wide-band sensor. :blush:

My miracle back cure hit the ground running and I unleashed a bucketful of frustrations, with the car up on a lift, in 12 minutes, a born again cripple achieved what would have taken half a days grovelling around on Bob's drive.

It worked out to cost me a pound a minute and is the wisest £12 I've spent for a long time. :)

I've nailed it straight on as is, to see how it sounds. :think:

At tick-over, it sounds like Barry White, softly humming a ballad up a drain pipe.

At light throttle when normally aspirated, it's around an average Scooby-Growl volume.

Cruising at motorway speeds, it's a gentle purr without drone.

The last sounds on the list should be WOT but :wtf: is more apt.

Apply boost and the God of Thunder is unleashed, instantly, give it WOT :omg: and all his Thunder Mates join in, it almost drowns out the supercharger, it's awesome, maybe just a little bit too awesome, but great fun.

I popped round to visit a pal, when I left, I did a slippery 0 to 20 launch in the 20 limit, he was standing behind the pipe at the time and the boost is instant. :innocent:

He called me later to say it nearly blew him off his feet and the sound could be measured on the Richter Scale because the ground was shaking.

I managed one pic of the system fitted, it shows the Y section I plan to replace with another incorporating a small resonator, to tame it just a little.

I'll get a vid clip when I come across a petrol nerd during daylight hours.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164080&d=1360198522

pipes 003.JPG

Awesome Dave! Glad you like the exhaust and it has gone to a good home! It is a nice sound on tick over and cruising; she does put out a nice rumble on WOT BPU; NA Supercharger I'd imagine she is a bit louder! ;)

Cant wait for the sound clip!

I am still in a love / hate relationship with my HKS hi power Silent, on the way to cars and coffee on Sunday I was not a fan but then again I had my body weight in beer the nite before ha ha:)

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

I've been to visit my parents and have multi-tasked the trip with a video fest and some pipe chaving. :)

I found a discreet and isolated location, to scare every creature away from whilst performing this nerdish activity and found without the tunnel acoustics of terraced streets, the thunder is not too far off the mark.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164133&d=1360265327

I then went for a play on a couple of my private rural drag strips :)

This clip was taken by my Dad and it's a good job for a technophobic 81 years old who was wrapped up like Scott of the Antarctic.

No double-braking and a clean launch with good traction on dry road down the middle at around freezing point with just a little chirp into second.

On my way home, the weather had turned to light rain and Farmer Giles had spent all day generously and repeatedly spilling smelly fertiliser cows guano slurry along the whole length of my other private, drag it if you dare strip, which even in the best of conditions requires attention to keep pointing in the direction you want to go, constantly compensating for the uneven undulations of this play ground.

I had set the camera up before I left my parents home and didn't want to waste the effort so I gave Giles a run for his money. :)

First run began in the thickest of it, Supra bogging, watch the road for the larger plops and generous stripes of it, you can hear it splattering into the wheel arches. :)

Second clip was the return run, 80 leptons were enough to scratch that itch, ;) I should have left the camera running, at the end of the clip you can see I've caught up with the guano cart who's cup floweth over.

Is 0 to 60 in 6 seconds with a max of 80 Leptons ran in both directions on a cow shit strip a World Record?

Zaust 007-008.jpg

Supra Bogging Drag Racing, on ripened bovine slurry blended with good old Northamptonshire clay. :)

Santa Plop maybe? :think:

It was like a RWD Class Rally-Cross sprint and great fun, it looks from the clips it was doing 0 to 60 in around 6 seconds which is amazing, because I darn't go past 80, but I couldn't resist a return run, which caught up with the Sh!t Cart so I called it a day.

The greater the speed the lesser is more-r and 80 Leptons required Hovercraft Piloting skills to flow the kinetics for a gear change and keep the sharp end floating forwards and the blunt end wafting between the verges. :rlol:

I've been laid-up with that trapped nerve for what feels like for ever and now I'm up and firing on most cylinders, I needed to blow off some steam/cobwebs? :think:

On the open road it sounds the Mutts nutleys :)

I'll catch a nerd in the daylight and plot a fly-by clip.

However, the only option to navigate Kettering from one side to the other, is by means of One-Way single-track Rat-Runs through double-parked Victorian Terraced Streets.

I have to be careful not to venture over 3k, even un-boosted, because the dulcet note leaves a trail of car alarms behind it.

I've done it on purpose a couple of times, because I can, and just for the hell of it, I'm sure I cracked the 100 a minute barrier, :shrug: just to get it out of my system of course. :innocent: It's hilarious. :rlol:

A supercharger conversion front resonator box is on the list, it'll knock about 3dB off which should mean that it'll only set car alarms off when I want it to. ;)

Sounds nice :) - Liked the flame!

Thank you. :)

So do/did I, :bang: :think: I didn't know it did that, :shrug: I wonder if some local cyclists have managed faster times with the hairs singed off their legs? :innocent:

I've always been 'anal' with my pipes. :think:

The sounds of the cars I tinker with are important to me and this time I have induction sucking, supercharger-whining and exhaust-pipe growling to play with. :)

Lexus sent the LFA to Yamaha, :think: I'll see what I can do in Bob's shed. ;)

It looks like my 18 years old N/A auto has lost her flaming virginity. :shrug: