The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just discovered that ParcelFarce monkeys couldn't be bothered to deliver my valve-body and have returned it to the U.S.

This is after many-many emails and empty your wallet 08 telephone calls, ParcelFarce have proven so incompetent I don't believe that anyone who works there even realises they are paid to deliver parcels. :shrug:

Two :think: hats. :badmood:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

It's almost unbelievable the amount of trouble you have with couriers. In thirteen years here at the "new" house I have sent and received literally thousands of packages. One item I sent went AWOL, and one item I was supposed to receive never showed. Generally things turn up on time, and very occasionally they are more than 2 days late, and this includes International stuff. I use Parcel Force, DPD, and others.

Dave i think it has something to do with where you live mate , all these city van drivers get lost in them contry lanes mate and sat navs are just poor at the best of times lol.

but still i would be very angry indeed , what you should do is not pay the import duty then you can collect from there local or not so local depot

To get to where I live entails driving 100m up a drive and my location is 4.30pm delivery.

Nine out of ten Drivers can't be bothered because it's nearly time to go home.

It appears it's compulsory to be incompetent to be employed!

Getting a job these days is 'dead man's shoes', it's not what you know, but who you know and to fit in, it's compulsory to be less competent than incompetent line Management, because that's how they got their job too.

If you honestly believe it's the location and delivery time conspiring against you why not try having stuff delivered to some friend who is maybe retired, who can sign for stuff and you collect from there every couple of days or however urgent it is? I know you shouldn't have to, but it's an idea to see if it really IS your location. I also tip the regular drivers well at New Year, and give them tea and fags if it's convenient for them to pop in. But I'm just that kinda guy ;) (No, not a homo that likes truck drivers, muppet!)

I live in Kettering, a place that has the worst U.K. delivery record on record and is famed for Postmen and Parcel delivery persons emptying their loads into a skip etc, then going home early.

Depending on the season, or hormones, or mood, or overdraft, or loose wife, or something else that was more important to some thick guano than doing what they're paid for, anything up to 50% of Deliveries regularly goes 'walkies' around here.

I think myself lucky that the parcel merely went back to U.S. because they were to lazy to deliver it and not other possibilities. :shrug:

Today I swapped the alternator, which has cured the previously, cold-engine only rattle I've been blaming onto the superchargers and it has also doubled the speed of the gear-changes. :yahoo:

Because it was working, it's been a lower priority job than supercharging for sometime now. :shrug:

It's gratifying to "kill two birds with one stone". :)

Three if fitting the new Gatorback belt is included.

The Sky-hook bracket had to come off for the job, yet it went back on without need of the "Special Service Tools".

Now shimmed into position, it's a plug&play 5-bolts job. :)

I keep "finding" water/meth system upgrades and gizmo's, I now have both ERL Mf2 and fiA2.

The Mf2 is a mappable flow control standalone ECU and the fiA2 reads fuel injector voltage and automatically flows the system fuel-parallel @15%.

To stay within my electro-bamboozle limits I plan to use the automatic fiA2, I can later change to the mappable Mf2 if needs be.

attachment.php?attachmentid=162336&d=1356897699

Yet before any further electro-gizmo add-ons I need to :hunter: track down the Random Spike Gremlin.

Whilst the supercharged parts of the job :whistle: just get on with it.

I was hoping that Dan would find the cause whilst he was mapping it. :innocent:

Yet the engine didn't skip a heart-beat all day, :looney: apart from one, :scared: just one, :tumble: just before he was plugged in. :shrug:

I have been learning this Gremlins 'habits' :confused: and found that it happens not exclusively :think: but mostly, between almost the same temperature range as the fan thermostat on a rising temperature, sometimes, and I suspect the engine-temp sensor is the culprit.

Can this sensor be got at and changed without the PITA of removing the PAS pump and/or AC compressor?

At tick-over at exactly at the rising sometimes-wrong temperature, it can work up a right "donkey" for a while.

Now I've found where the Gremlin "Random Spike" lives, I've captured evidence on camera, both engine and rev counter.

:hunter: You can hear the timing-spike several times during the first 6 seconds or so of this clip, before the sound from the clattering-alternator overwhelms it, :run: but I didn't catch it on the rev-counter. :(

(Backing-track by the now-silenced, :guitar: clattering-alternator)

[video=youtube_share;YQcnF-JJhvI]

:hunter: Caught it on rev-counter this time. :)

The red triangle is on because of a cat over-heat sensor incorrect reading by the AEM ECU, Dan said he needed to cut a wire, but we got exited and forgot.

The sensor is plugged into the loom and stashed behind the radio?

Since the ECU swap, there's one circuit I need to reconnect to reintegrate a Suprastick control function, then I'll plug both ECU's into into my laptop and see what I can see.

Wiring is the worst job to do this weather, kneeling down in outside places regularly gets me dirty, wet and cold. :badmood:

Today, after doing up the fiddly nuts on the alternator job with my poorly finger whilst the bonnet was beating me up in the wind, I then spent an hour or so on my knees trying to trace circuits in the foot-well with the added wind-up of a hooligan regularly slamming the door against my bad back.

First chance of neither rain nor high winds on hard-standing with mains-electric, I'll be on it.

No rain and only light winds today so I had a go at the electrickery.

However, In my enthusiasm to get on with the job I had ignored the other element and soon became so cold that all I wanted to do was stop, so I did. :shrug:

I did the same mate, my fingers were freezing

Today I plugged the laptop into the AEM to see what I could see.

At tick-over at the 'magic' temperature, the ignition timing normally 10.2, fluttered either up to 12.? or sometimes 13.? or down to 5.? or 4.? or 3.? or a bit of all of them?

Way too fast to see all the digidoolallital numbers? :think:

I tried to data-log it but I couldn't save it.

I need a good read of the manual to learn a few tricks. :shrug:

The visual fluttering on the screen is similar to audible activity of what I think is the fan relay but could be one of many, I've also lost power from the cig lighter circuit, the fuse is good but no power?

It's working, so left well alone, I'll look at these tomorrow earlier in the day, I'll have done the job in old money before I've learned which button to press. ;)

Today I plugged the laptop into the AEM to see what I could see.

At tick-over at the 'magic' temperature, the ignition timing normally 10.2, fluttered............

I'd check for a poor ground somewhere as this reminds me of a video a while back where an auto electrician demonstrated that the poor idle and excessive noise on his 'scope was caused by a simple rusty earth connection bolted to the front crossmember under the bonnet. Different car but same idea.

Happy new year btw!

I've had another play with the laptop and found how to display the engine sensor readings and it appears that the mystery Donkey is ............................

Number 2 knock-sensor is fluttering between 0.2v and 0v when the timing is spiking.

I'll swap it and see. :)

It's an AEM Series 1, 30-1100 yet I don't know if sensor disabling is an option.

I'll check the connector and/or swap it first and see if that sorts it, I'd like to confirm that it's doing it's job and not just dicking me about. :think:

I assume no.2 is the the sensor at the rear of the block?

Just a thought, if you have things like fans switching in and out at tick over, these are causing loads on the alternator, especially as you are now running a small battery and a big alternator. Could this fluctuation be down to engine loading from the alternator when things are switching in? Why not stick a serious battery on it and let it run from the battery with the alternator disconnected for ten minutes just to eliminate this.

Edit: of course this doesn't explain the timing fluctuation

Swapped the rear knock-sensor but no change. :(

To save a day's knuckle busting removing the PAS and air-con pumps for maybe nothing, I'll try and find a spanner to get at the front one. :think:

I've checked and/or remade every earth I can find and disconnected each added circuit one at a time, with no change. :confused:

Couldn't get the laptop to talk to either ECU today. :lame:

Tinkered with the PAS idle-up valve and now it's working, so the day wasn't a total loss. :shrug: