The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!

There it is again :tumble: cheers Herb, it's an Awesome daily thruster. :)

The sound of a supercharger behind, intimidates most drivers out of the way and Dual Carriageway driving is like a 'Parting of the Red Sea'.

Many of those who've been 'Stuka'd' before pull over when they hear me coming and wave me on so they can listen to the supercharger Howl as I go past. :rlol:

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to gain access to outside the Workshop this afternoon, but further to to bracket job there was some maintenance to attend to.

The Mcguard locking wheel nut key had broken off in one of the nuts and getting them off used up most of this prime time, if you have a set of these, I suggest you give them to someone you don't like. :shrug:

The loose baffle in the exhaust was then cured with a few well aimed clonks with a ball pein hammer, which left only a few minutes of chilly daylight to tinker with the bracket.

attachment.php?attachmentid=161227&d=1354132414

attachment.php?attachmentid=161228&d=1354132414

mcguard 005.JPG

mcguard 009.JPG

Been though more than half a dozen of those wheel nut keys, awful things. Use an impact gun on them at your peril. Over torque the at your peril, use them more than once a year at your peril. Bin them and be able to get the punctured tyre off on the side of a wet road..

As for the bracket, Damien Hurst should be worried, he has a competitor ;)

As if this bitter weather was not task enough, I managed to trap my finger in the car door and as well as a dreaded black fingernail, the whole end of my digit has decided it's a blood blister. :whistle:

attachment.php?attachmentid=161382&d=1354381689

Now the sky-hook bracket is fitted, it blends in amongst the other contraptions and looks as though it might be up to the task without further tinkering. :)

It's a simple job to change belts, which is a good thing because I'm on my third different length belt trial fit. :shrug:

The belt shown is a Gates 2563, yet it's almost too long and would be after the initial-stretch so need to order the next size or two down. :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=161383&d=1354381689

Because this idler is so close to the supercharger pulley it's very fussy to be perfectly aligned.

Being a digit down didn't help matters, yet have adjusted it by eye and trial and error into the position that runs the belt true.

attachment.php?attachmentid=161384&d=1354381689

Before swapping back to the previous belt and configuration I gave it a blip and WOW, no slip and the sound of the charger is completely different, I can only describe it as an 'instant trouser department' noise. :think:

Here's a clip with the new max-wrap configuration at tick-over, this new charger is clattery when cold, yet sweet as a nut when warmed up.

Beastie 008.JPG

Beastie 001.JPG

Beastie 003.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

After a night of Gremlins beating my poorly finger with a hammer in time with my heart beat, today I trapped it again between a handle and bucket, and it clicked. :whistle:

It turns out that the end of my digit is broken and was misaligned, fortunately, the bucket mishap has reset it straight and my fingernail now has a trendy go faster stripe to remind me to let it get better. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=161437&d=1354475688

f2 005.JPG

I've commissioned another 4" supercharger pulley fabricated with cross-hatches, ordering a couple of different length Gatorback belts and a can of anti-slip juice. :)

With the new max-wrap idler, belt, braces and snake glue, 15lbs of boost will soon be mine. :eyebrows:

The upgraded valve-body which has been modified to alleviate the P to D bump, increase line-pressure and speed up gear-changes is winging it's way too, count-down to the 13th begins. :whip:

attachment.php?attachmentid=161525&d=1354545327

pulley.jpg

I have found a remarkably efficient local supplier of Gates belts.

Order by telephone before midday and whatever belts I want are delivered to my door by 4.30pm!

Amazing service from CT Autoparts, Kettering.

Straight exchange or full refund for any belt(s)s found unsuitable and at discounted trade price too.

Today I exchanged the Gates 2563 belt that was almost to long, for a 2550 & bought a 2535 for trial fittings.

I'll have a go tomorrow, yet I'm concerned to break my finger-end in the cold again, these Gates belts are a lot stiffer to weadle about and crispy to handle, compared to the softer and much easier and nicer to work with Gatorbacks.

As soon as I have identified the length(s) needed, I'll order a couple of Gatorback 4061005 and/or 4061000 from the U.S.

They're £8 each, bought in two's and shipped for the price of one, with a total value below reach of Robbing Tax Hoods itchy fingers. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=161536&d=1354574696

belts 003.JPG

50% belt-wrap on 6.78" crank pulley = 10.5"

80% belt-wrap on 4.2" supercharger pulley = 10.5" = 13lbs boost.

80% belt-wrap on "True Gripped" 4" supercharger pulley = 10" = 15lbs boost.

This guess-measure-y equation shows the drive-train is up to full capability.

Should Sky-Hook Bracket Mk1 prove fit for purpose, I'm confident it'll now have sufficient traction to boost 15lbs.

Weather Underground says "zero probabilty of rain", yet it's lashing it down out there. :badmood:

I'm peering out of the window itching to get on with some of the final little jobs and my finger is signalling to me in Morse code. :sos:

-.. --- -. ----. - / -.. --- / .. - :think:

("Don't do it") :(

It has brightened up a bit and I've trial fitted the new belts. :)

It's the Gates 2551 or a Gatorback 4061005 that's the required size. :thumbs:

I'll get a couple of 4061005 Gatorbacks ordered, and swap the Gates 2359 for another 2551. :think:

Then I'll have at least managed to get one little job off the list, and without getting into trouble with my digit either. :)