The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

That torque is in the wrong setting? I have graphs from Dans where it says i have over 3000ftlb.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/graph.jpg

Not sure how this wizardry functions, but maybe some whizz could work it out with 3.769 ratio?

Whatever it presently is, could might be :think: is irrelevant, it's that flat torque curve with loads of space under the left of a very low rev graph.

The acceleration is reliably and relentlessly linear and combined creates an awesomely different experience. :)

Every start up is an occasion and every dab of my big toe a great pleasure. :)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the other one, taken going up the village strip on my way to pick up my Dad who starred in the first clip.

This is a cleaner launch without a brake testing scene or the place camera on lap and get around a 90 degree left whilst semi-paralysed with laughter trick. :rlol:

:think:

This about sum's it up. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157667&d=1347707680

dr_strangelove.01.jpg

I have been out practising my Wolf-Whistles, I didn't manage to do a good one for the clip, :think: I think I may have reached the limit of my multi-tasking.

Driving safely through town, feathering the bypass valve with my right foot, trying not to crack up laughing and filming it too was a tad too far, but I had a go.

As a workaround for the two stage launches, I have hard wired the Suprastick into manualised mode, Dan has reset some of the pins so I have mended it in 'old money', it will remain Flappy-Paddles only for now.

It had to be tested as well, :eyebrows: didn't it!

I doubted my wisdom of recording the first test, :think: filming with my left hand, missile-guidance, Warp-changing and after-burner control with my right.

It boosted straight up to 10psi and tried to step out, caught that, cut timing for traction and caught a much faster change, balanced out the last little wiggle from the wisping rear whilst watching the AFR read a nice safe 12 and guiding this mystery surprise missile down a road that I'm sure was longer than that?

Another 2psi has made an unbelievable difference and changing gear before the plugs blow out, keeps the power coming on like a Bullet Train.

The Hybrid box gave perfect WOT changes with the new timing-cut feature, :think: it's like going up a Warp factor.

This will be the last of the hand held production videos, I will get myself a camera lick and stick-on thingy.

Come for a ride in my Rocket Ship. :)

[video=youtube_share;TFb-tvM7g88]

The best bit of that clip is regaining traction in first by manually cutting the timing and slipping the torque-converter.

When it broke loose, I held the throttle steady and pressed then held the up-change button, which via the AEM cuts the ignition timing back to 6 degrees BTDC and via Suprastick unlocks the torque-converter, traction regained, I then released the button when time came to change into second.

You can't see my finger move, but it shows on the waving clocks and in among the noises.

Home made Manualised Launch Traction Control in action. :)

More like the tight belt has spun the wonk back to the shaft or pulley, as long as it lasts a week I can get access to the workshop to tinker.

I'm pleased not to have had it all in the first portion, the torque is a monster and I'm not able to use the top end power yet, this thing is ballistic already.

I was pleased to Christen the manual traction control feature on film with flair, :) but want both hands on the wheel from now on. :think:

That 10psi was a surprise, today the pulley's wobbling as it ever was and back to 8psi which must mean it's slipping the belt, yet barely a whiff from it.

Although with gears back on the buttons I've been changing up @ 4.5k.

I have had to disable the timing-cut feature as it's causing conflict between the 2 ECU's, this will get sorted at next mapping, so now running with torque-converter slip only.

By pure fluke this appears to be the point where it's needed, @ 10psi it behaved better with the timing cut, yet at 8psi it works better with torque-converter slip only on dry tarmac

I will wire it through a switch so it's on and offable, dry and wet road modes. :)

I can tinker about with gapping the plugs and fit a take-off on the boost side, then when I can get access to the Workshop next week, I will swap the distributor and fit a straight shaft onto the charger.

Whilst I'm at it, I will swap to the 4.2" pulley and see If I can get reliable non-slip 12lbs of boost, after my flirt with 10lbs, 12lbs would more than do for now and I could then revisit the drive-train and tinker my way up to a mentally 18psi incrementally. :think:

Yesterday I took out my little sister, she has been feeling a bit sorry for herself, 2 weeks to the day ago, she had a complete Ladies-gearbox removal, including an emptying out of organs various for inspection and then re-stuffed.

She's not supposed to get out of her chair for 12 weeks, but she said the passenger seat looked like a comfy chair, lets go!

The G's must have done her some good somewhere, because she hasn't stopped grinning yet, the only complaint was that she hurt herself laughing. :innocent:

Today I took out an old :think: old friend, he's in his 80's, after a good trundle including a few steaming runs, he said "Thank you, that was Awesome". :rlol:

I'll let it cool down and if it doesn't rain I'll get me spanners out.

Superchargers don't need as much fuel as turbo's and the engine was mapped without charge-cooler with no det, now running with charge-cooler it's even safer.

It's a 'conservative' get me on the road while I sort out the Gremlins map and Dan has made a good job of it. :)

The weather was better today so I've had the plugs out and closed the gaps down to 20 thou.

Other than a sooty base from when the dead MAP sensor resulted with a good flooding, they look fine. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157794&d=1347904243

Whilst the charge-cooler was off, I found enough tools and fittings in the back of my supercharged van to add a take-off for the fuel pressure regulator. :)

There's a Supra under the stuff somewhere, but stuff and things come in handy often just lately. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=157795&d=1347904243

That's another job off the list. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157796&d=1347904243

A benefit of supercharger development in a field, this Privet Hawk Moth caterpillar paid me a visit. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=157797&d=1347904243

plugs 003.JPG

plugs 006.jpg

plugs 008.JPG

plugs 010.JPG

Seriously contemplating not bothering with a TT conversion and have a Supercharger instead! That thing looks like an absolute animal! Could be pretty funky on a 6spd box.

And that is a massive caterpilar! When it turns into a moth, it may get mistaken for a small bat!

I think traction would be unmanageable without a torque-converter, I am pleased it's married to a flappy-paddle auto, it gives far better traction off the mark and compliments the linear thrust.

It sounds awesome too. :eyebrows:

Well it is a Hawk moth. :shrug:

Now the misfire is cured it's much faster, the power keeps growing with the revs all the way, I now can't change from first to second quick enough, I have tried it in auto mode, but @ WOT that's too slow too.

I need to program the change for a slower speed to fool it into changing up in time. :think:

It feels like being thrust forwards by a massive electric motor, it's relentless.

Cruising along it's quiet as stock until I press the clitoris on the right, then the charger howls and I disappear in a cloud of smoke, love it.

This thing is a very desirable toy.

Has to be said, before I got the TT, I thought about supercharging my old NA, but decided against it. Glad I didnt in the end, only because of the amount of work that has gone into this. I wouldnt have the patience.

If it had taken twice as long it would still have been worth it, I can't convey the awesomeness in words.