The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be a drivetrain breaker :) good job there are some spares on the forum :)

I have another Hybrid made up and another couple of boxes ready to build another, but this one seems happy enough. :)

Presently running at 8psi, when I get the boost up to 18psi we'll see what it can really take. :think:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Here's a pic of the less than half-way there numbers.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=157628&d=1347573104

great work david, you put a lot of us to shame with the determination and setbacks you have had. dont take this wrong but your torque figures and bhp dont tie up, they should both be the same at 5252 rpm, the only thing i can think of is that the torque figure has been increased because of the rear axle?. hope i am wrong for you, or have i not read the graphs right?. Anyway great to see it working, hope you have some fun in your new found power.

regards chris.

great work david, you put a lot of us to shame with the determination and setbacks you have had. dont take this wrong but your torque figures and bhp dont tie up, they should both be the same at 5252 rpm, the only thing i can think of is that the torque figure has been increased because of the rear axle?. hope i am wrong for you, or have i not read the graphs right?. Anyway great to see it working, hope you have some fun in your new found power.

regards chris.

Hello Chris, long time no post. :)

I'm not sure of the numbers, I wasn't taking much notice because I was too busy tinkering with 'things' to keep Dan pressing buttons undistracted.

It's only pure chance I took the pic at all.

I don't care what the numbers are, IT'S WORKING. :yahoo:

Whatever they are, they will be larger after I have tinkered out the Gremlins. :eyebrows:

no matter what the results as per vid you are a happy man and who can blame you well done for a epic build, one of the few threads i always want to look at its a shame its almost finished i like your use of simily's and egineerine trickery :D

well done dave

There is a minor air leak to find and fix.

I have located the fuel regulator take off before the charger and it should be after.

The plug gaps are too wide and the spark is blown out @ 6k, which is before the auto box changes up @ WOT.

The little wonk in the supercharger shaft makes the pulley think the 6 rib belt is a 3 rib belt and will only boost to 8 psi before slipping.

The crank position sensor is iffy and needs changing.

The ignition timing cut relays for gear changes are creating a feed-back which makes manualised gear change inoperable.

The spring loaded tensioner may need a stronger spring, but I won't know until I have fitted a straight shaft.

The charge cooler pump is not wired into the ECU.

The water/meth system has not yet been drawn into the equation.

The HHO is not yet online.

And maybe a few other minor bits, but I don't really care, it's on to stay and now I can tinker with these bits and chase them out one at a time. :)

That list, along with the bodywork and final 'normal' things to do, will keep me tinkering and you looking for a while yet. :think:

Egg in here in, I like that. :thumbs:

Thank you for the congratulations, :think: I could almost forgive you all for not remembering my birthday for the last 2 years. ;)

I'm really pleased the Project has progressed to this stage. :)

I've been on several little errands today and have never had so much fun from a car before, if Toyota had made one of these they would have sold millions.

At low speeds the car trundles along quietly, calmly and as sweet as a nut and at very light throttle around town, by feathering the throttle to catch between -18psi to -15psi vacuum, I probably shouldn't admit it :blush: but have found that I can actually give a wolf whistle with the supercharger bypass valve. :rlol:

The power is available instantly, any time any place any gear any revs, it goes from nowhere to :think: gone where so quickly, I can hear the click of the bypass-valve, just before the one in my neck. :run:

The beans are not to be stomped on, :think: more like, pressing a clitoris with your big toe.

I haven't yet managed to do this without breaking down with laughter after the launch, I've taken a few friends and family out for short blasts, there's no need for any of that double-braking high-stall torque-converter and launch control malarkey, just press the go pedal on the right and you're gone.

Until I can get access to the workshop, I can't evict any of the Gremlins.

Currently, the belt is slipping @ 8psi @ 4,500 and the transmission set to change gear @ 6,550rpm @ WOT, yet the plugs start blowing out over 6k and the pulley is geared for 15 psi and the manualised gear-chance funtion is not working so running in auto-mode only.

This makes for the most amazing and totally hilarious two-stage launch to 80mph and even in this handicapped :think: wounded condition it's an awesome experience, I can't even imagine what it will go like when it's working properly.

Whether from start or roll, make sure the car is aiming exactly at the point of exit of view and remember not to blink, because by that time you are where you were looking at, it's like being in a catapult launched two stage rocket. It's an amazing experience, exclamations of :wtf: that's AWSOME followed by spontaneous laughter, I don't know why it's so funny, but even thinking about it keeps me laughing.

There was a new set of traffic bollards under deployment, filtering the dual carriageway into left lane which was chocker block, me on right give big sad pleading eyes contact to one of my last chances to get over if he'd let me in please.

Man on left, F.B. with a drive-through mega beaker of something in his right hand and elbow stuck out of the window, gives me the "no-chance buster" eyebrows.

My last option was to get past, :think: I didn't count how many cars for the last doable gap ahead before certain doom.

click-POW and before F.B's. eyebrows had even retracted, a Screaming Banshee erupted under his right arm-pit and launched out of view leaving three perfectly whisping smoke trails, two from the tyres and anher from the screaming-superchargers slipping-belt of fire poking out through the hole in the bonnet. :)

Holding steady guide of my Supra missile, I managed a micro-glance in the mirror and his beaker elbow was waving a fist out of the window. :rlol:

I'll be glad when I've got the lid on it and in grey primer because it's attracting too much attention for my liking, just driving across town gets kids on the Street cheering and leaping about, even had folks rush up to get a closer look at what's in Mad Max's hole when I stop at the lights.

Maybe it's the Bernard Cribbins Fan Club? :think:

On it's first day of limp existence, I've had my first ever Supra assisted 'offers', two in an hour even, look's like I broke my Supra Duck in style Noz. ;)

I wish I'd a fiver for every time I've heard the word "AWSOME" today.

It just is. :shrug:

I'm itching to get it sorted, I want to run it at Jap Show Finale, 29th :think: 30th Sept but Bob's not back till 22nd. :think:

My pleasures today have toasted the belt and I must now use it least and lightest until then, I only have two more that size, arrived today from TX.

Then back for another go at mapping before the end of the last week, it's getting a bit "Cinderella" for my liking but I will give it my best shot under the prevailing circumstances.