• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah what I said lol.

Give that man a coconut!

Find attached a pic of what should be there. A casting has broken off :blink: That explains the oil in such a localized place, it's poured out the hole the broken casting has left. Probably explains the lack of pressure as well.

Isn't that where the bracket for lower belt tensioner arm sits on a manual?

-Ian

missing.jpg

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

I've been rooting around my stored piccies and I'm pretty sure thats where the big belt tensioner pneumatic piston attaches to. There is an extension bracket there, see pic.

Which begs the question, how the hell did that break?! It's an auto, it doesn't have anything bolted in there? :wtf:

OK so, replace the pump casing, flush the oil system, and pray you turned the engine off fast enough that there isn't any bearing damage. That's my starter for ten :)

bracket.jpg

What could cause that to snap off? if that is the problem would it be an easy fix as long as there is no damage due to oil starvation?

Edit: Ian already answered my question whilst i was typing it lol. Could that not be the thing that lee seen come off?

What could cause that to snap off?

This is the thing, on an auto those bolt holes are unused. Without something screwed into it you'd have to use so much impact force to achieve that breakage that there would be massive amounts of damage surrounding it as well.

All I can think is that the casting must have been flawed, or, and I hesitate to say this, was broken/cracked when off the car and put back on regardless, then eventually fell off.

I hesitate to say that because without a careful inspection of the break it's impossible to say, and I don't want people pouncing on that as the answer just because of the reputation of the place that did the work :)

-Ian

I was going to say could they have mounted anything from there, but looking at the picture again i couldn't see what you could fit in there!

Did they remove the engine when they done his conversion? as i think you are right about it being damaged whilst it was out. Even if the casting was flawed i would have thought it would have taken quite a bit of force to snap it off.

Even if the casting was flawed i would have thought it would have taken quite a bit of force to snap it off.

My working theory is:

• Drop pump cover onto floor while looking at it.
  • Crack off corner on impact.
  • Look around guiltily.
  • Superglue back on.
  • Not my problem any more.

Have to check the broken edge for glue residue, or signs of a two-stage break where it cracked and then fretted off the rest of the way over time.

Maybe someone levered against it getting the front pulley off?

If you can get a couple of really good close up shots of it the initiation point may be visible and that would give an idea of how it got loaded (if at all).

Thats really bad news mate, i do hope is a easy fix after all your troubles.

In the last two pics i think i can see an area that looks like its broken alloy, but that would be the oil pump and if it where serious there would be much more oil, i am inclined to go along with the CPS star coming off theory, good luck anyway.

You lot don't read properly, i already mentioned this:p

You lot don't read properly, i already mentioned this:p

Come on, you should know us lot by now, we need pictures with pointy arrows to notice stuff;)

Dan: You may be pointing down the right path there with regards levering the pulley off.

Ian: My only reservation with it being a faulty pump that was fractured enough to enable that section to simple fall off, is that surely you would have noticed some fluctuations in oil pressure as the pump got aerated? It would have to be one hell of a glue job to create an air tight seal on a fractured surface..

Ian: My only reservation with it being a faulty pump that was fractured enough to enable that section to simple fall off, is that surely you would have noticed some fluctuations in oil pressure as the pump got aerated? It would have to be one hell of a glue job to create an air tight seal on a fractured surface..

I'm just guessing really. Without a better look we all are :) I like the idea of levering the crank pulley off though. Very plausible :sly:

I'm just guessing really. Without a better look we all are :) I like the idea of levering the crank pulley off though. Very plausible :sly:

-Ian

PS sorry Ricky :)

I know mate, I'm sure she'll show us her naughty point when the clothes are taken off.

Come on, you should know us lot by now, we need pictures with pointy arrows to notice stuff;)

LOL! yes of course 98% of us are male so it has to be pics doesn't it;)

Dan: You may be pointing down the right path there with regards levering the pulley off.

I think THE most worrying bit is the fact that if they where capable of levering the pulley off and doing that sort of damager in the course of their profession:rolleyes: what else did they do, i know i wouldn't feel safe.

Sorry to hear this and the crap in life stuff.

Don't really know what to say mate, other than keep your friends close and try and keep your chin up.

Try not to give up on the car until you at least get someone trust worthy to look over it.

As already said, Pm StuartW, I am sure he will help you out and he knows the Single Turbo set ups very well.

Good Luck and you only need to shout if you think I can help in some way

wow what a load of replys! thanks every one

yes my egt on a full boost run ofter hit 900 and has hit 1000 celcius once! my manifold and back of turbo glow very red!!

the whole engine was built outside the car and then lowered in, well i think it was!

so because of this ecu, it may of saved my engine? money well spent if it is!!

so please tell me it could just be a case of buying another new pump and getting that fitted and were done?

before the syvecs was fitted the oil pressure some times fluctuated just below 2, like 1.5 - 2 so mayb that was hinting a problem?