car went bang!!! :(

L33

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bit of a lurker on here, use the forum mainly for information when playing with a mates supra years back,

lee as said on the phone mate,

ill boot round tomorrow, strip the covers off and take a look with you,

will give you a call tomorrow when heading over, ill bring some tools, and well crack on,

chin up mate

cheers mike i hope the weather gets better

and ian i didnt take any more pics as there is no oil any where else under the whole car?! :blink:

The position of the oil is making me think maybe the leak is from the oil pressure sender? They have been known to leak and then suddenly fail, and the oil doesn't stay in for long after that.

It doesn't explain the bang, unless it was the sender unit parting company with the car and ricocheting off the road back into the underside. It might also explain the warning light if the sensor isn't there any more.

I'd kinda expect more oil around the place than that though. Need more pics of the underside, further back.

Another look and I also think it could be the front main seal. The oil spray is quite directional, possibly from coming off the back of the crank pulley at high revs. Can you check the back of the crank pulley for oil?

Thats what I thought first Ian, maybe the sender fell out!!!! Or the middle has shot out but if that was so I would expect more oil

Lee,

Times like these bud are a test and everyone goes through them mate. Last year i went through a ruff patch and my 5 1/2 year reletionship GF left me also but Trust Me everything happens for a reason IMO and you learn from it all. Things will get better!!

Now lets find out whats happened.

Firth thing i would do is give StuartW a shout on here. He is local to you and knows alot about supra's, im sure he wont mind popping over and looking over it.

Now when the engine turns over does it sound the same as usual ie no bangs and knocks etc.

Next take the cam cover off and see if the cam belt is still in one piece.

Does the Dash red oil pressure light go off when cranking?

Does the RPM counter flicker slighty at all when cranking?

For some reason i have a feeling the timing star might have fell of its pulley and it might of damage the oil pump if the oil pressure light is not going out.

Ryan

My 2nd thought was the timing star as ryan says and maybe somehow that screwed the oil seal, do you not have a suplementry oil pres guage????

Thats what I thought first Ian, maybe the sender fell out!!!! Or the middle has shot out but if that was so I would expect more oil

Beat me to it!!! My first thoughts were FMS, sender unit or the oil-way grub screw hidden behind the AC pump, which is easy to forget on rebuilds, but the lack of oil makes me question that also.

i have no idea!

suplementry oil pres guage? i have a oil pressure gauge reading 0 now

Where is the sender for the oil guage Lee, you have a guage fitted as it reads 0 !!!!!!:blink: do you know where your 'tuner' fitted the sender for the guage, the easiest way to fit one is in a sandwich plate between the filter and its housing, do you still have the factory oil light, not level the pressure one, if so does that go out or stay on, does the engine knock or sound starnge at all.

it used to read 2, but now its 0 and wont start! sounds like it wants to but wont actually start!

no idea where its fitted, i will have to have a look tomo for the sandwich plate

the only light thats on is a red oil can on the right hand side of dash which according to manual is oil pressure?

it used to read 2, but now its 0 and wont start! sounds like it wants to but wont actually start!

no idea where its fitted, i will have to have a look tomo for the sandwich plate

the only light thats on is a red oil can on the right hand side of dash which according to manual is oil pressure?

Used to read 2, I take it that is bar and you are talking tickover!!! if it was reading 2 at high revs then there is a more serious problem.

Guest sinie

ill have a look tomorrow,

will drop covers and see what's what, and lee will post up whatever results we find,

its a shame, as the car was an absolute monster, 160 leptons in very little space ;-) but the EGT gauge reading 1000degrees seemed a little high??

Guest sinie

his defi gauge reads up to 11, and we tapped ten on a quick run, will check with hi if its in celsius or Fahrenheit

Thats really bad news mate, i do hope is a easy fix after all your troubles.

In the last two pics i think i can see an area that looks like its broken alloy, but that would be the oil pump and if it where serious there would be much more oil, i am inclined to go along with the CPS star coming off theory, good luck anyway.

Can you check for error codes Lee? A code 12 or 13 would be the crank position sensor.

Thing is, despite there not being much oil, why would the low oil light be on? If it was low oil or oil pressure it'd still start (although that would be a bad thing with no oil of course). If it's the CPS setup then why the low oil light warning..? Hmmm.

Bad luck Lee, a nightmare on many levels :( On the 1st and 4th pics above the bottom air con compressor mount it looks like something has snapped off the casing, is that normal?

My first though is timing as well.

Hope you get it sorted and dont sell but I can totally understand why you woukd want to.

his defi gauge reads up to 11, and we tapped ten on a quick run, will check with hi if its in celsius or Fahrenheit

That's going to be degrees C :( 1000 is way too high for a single turbo setup, you shouldn't see past about 850degC.