The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project 1300

suprafan72

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wide band Sensor is far to close to the Turbo. You will cook it and it will suffer from inaccuracy (or fail). They need to be between 1/2 to 1m from the turbine exit.

i hear you but the other option is moving to the other port but that one is only 1 inch away from it, so am not sure if its going to make any difference tbh with the heat issue...

Wide band Sensor is far to close to the Turbo. You will cook it and it will suffer from inaccuracy (or fail). They need to be between 1/2 to 1m from the turbine exit.

Most supra downpipes are like that, mine is only 2" further away and has just failed after 3 years.

i hear you but the other option is moving to the other port but that one is only 1 inch away from it, so am not sure if its going to make any difference tbh with the heat issue...

Most wide bands come with a bung as part of the kit. I would weld it in further down the downpipe (just make sure you tap the threads out afterwards when it's cooled as you won't be the first to have a sensor pick up on it's way out). Also, make sure it's between 9 and 3 o'clock clockwise, anything in the bottom 180deg's of an exhaust pipe is considered a no, no.

Lyndon is right guys and have said this to a few people before. It even states in the AEM and Innovate manuals im sure that it needs to be at least around 2ft away from the turbo or exhaust valves if no turbo is used.

The heat will kill them more quickly but also some of the older units like the innovate Lc1 or vems kit will read out when they get too hot due to the heater calibration of the unit.

But it doesn't help that most downpipe manufactures for the 2jzgte put them in the top of the downpipe.

I've seen guys using tailpipe AFR's, for road mapping, so I guess having it in the midpipe would be absolutely fine? I know it's important to have the EGT gauge as close as possible but what is the gain of an AFR gauge bunged next to the turbo?

I'll need to check where mine is fitted now as I didn't have a hand in it :(

I believe car manufacturers like to get them as close to the engine as they dare with some longevity also in mind, as they help get through the cold start emission tests if they heat up fast near the ports. My RB26 has a pair of widebands within 8 inches of the ports, in the stock manifolds, in the stock positions. I need to keep them there as I want to read the AFR as two separate 3 cylinder engines. Further downstream I would just read an average of the six cylinders. They are Bosch LSU4.0 units and have been fine there for about 8 track days and some mapping sessions.

how are you controlling your fans mate ? a billion conrtroller or just ON/OFF switch

The ECU will control them but I fit an overide switch as well so they can be turned on at any time.

Use a relay for each fan as well and fuse them seperatly, that way if one ever failed the other would still work.

Ryan can program the ECU for it, he just needs a negative trigger wire run down the the ecu so he can connect it.

The ECU will control them but I fit an overide switch as well so they can be turned on at any time.

Use a relay for each fan as well and fuse them seperatly, that way if one ever failed the other would still work.

Ryan can program the ECU for it, he just needs a negative trigger wire run down the the ecu so he can connect it.

nice one mate, we fitted them yesterday look pretty cool

• 2 weeks later...

little update, am hoping to fire it up next saturday (fingers crossed).

polished power steering bottle and also new custom bracket fitted to hypertune for throttle cable..

some trial fitting of some pipework (please not these pics are not the actual finished article) we just looking at ways of doing pipe. (so i took some pics)..

new exhaust fitted