The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just f**ked the engine

jevansio

Sounds like a valve to me, whatever, it sounds knackered :( You might just be lucky and damage is confined to the head. If it's dropped a valve you MUST account for cotters and stuff, things like that lurking about can do a LOT of damage.

I believe he is referring to collets, which are two pieces of metal shaped into a coller that fits around the top of the valve.

The valve spring in the head timing gear needs to be compressed to either fit or remove the two halves of collets.

Once you release the spring it slides up over the collets and holds the valve in place stopping it from dropping into the cylinder.

You should make sure you can account for all the pieces.

Sorry to hear your news after all your hard work buddy, chin up hey.

At least you have a great sense of humour :D

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:( Gutted to hear that Jay

I know bud, it don't seem so bad when you're half pissed :D

STOCK BLOCK WITH LOW MILEGE IS THE WAY MATE.

afr get a facelift tt on monday with a stock engine,.. maybe worth a pm.

i have a 2jz engine in my mates warehouse but from chaser i think so not sure if its the same..

If only I knew what I know now, when I started my single conversion :D

Cheers for the tips, I'm pretty sure when I know ehere I'm going I'm going to have quite a few leads :D

I believe he is referring to collets, which are two pieces of metal shaped into a coller that fits around the top of the valve.

The valve spring in the head timing gear needs to be compressed to either fit or remove the two halves of collets.

Once you release the spring it slides up over the collets and holds the valve in place stopping it from dropping into the cylinder.

You should make sure you can account for all the pieces.

Sorry to hear your news after all your hard work buddy, chin up hey.

At least you have a great sense of humour :D

Ah cheers Pudsey, my mate said collets too,

Funnily enough my lass doesn't see the funny side :D

my thaughts are with you in this tough time matey

Appreciate the thoughts bud, with all the shit going on in the world at the mo (earthquacks etc) I feel happy if this is all I've got to deal with :)

Oh no, gutted for you Jay. Hope there's not too much damage done.

Cheers Darrly, I was ready for a new engine when I first heard it (it was like someone hammering the side of the engine with a hammer), now I think worst case is a new stock TT lump with my cams and we're away again :)

When my T04R engine let go on the dyno I went built with Mark at Phoenix, it took a year to get it back, get a stock lump in, you know you can give it the beans and be ok, if it fails put another stock block in, I would never go built again, a set of ARP bolts and cams perhaps at most :)

Least you have a 911 Turbo as a back up ;)

When my T04R engine let go on the dyno I went built with Mark at Phoenix, it took a year to get it back, get a stock lump in, you know you can give it the beans and be ok, if it fails put another stock block in, I would never go built again, a set of ARP bolts and cams perhaps at most :)

Least you have a 911 Turbo as a back up ;)

Really on the same wavelength with you on this Dean, what Jamie is doing with a stock setup + cams is making me think it's the future, maybe I'll be a little less agressive with the RLTC too :D, 20% slip (basically a dry setting) and wet roads didn't seem to mix, the car was spinning for a second or so before the RLTC even cut in, & when it did it was pretty violent, maybe I should have tried the 0% slip first in the wet :D

Yeah the porka is a rock, loving being in it at the mo :D

Crap luck Jay, sorry to see this bud.

Cheers bud :thumbs:

Aww gutted for you J :( As said, with the millage and power that Jamie is putting on his I think stock is a good option.

I know with mine the compression never changed over the 6/7 years of owning it through stock, BPU and single! Must say drove it for the last time today and it was pulling like a train! Man I'm going to miss it :(

Bad luck sir.

I like your positive approach to the crap news :thumbs:

Still it could be worse. You could be Matt H :D

You're right, suddenly things seem even better :D

Aww gutted for you J :( As said, with the millage and power that Jamie is putting on his I think stock is a good option.

I know with mine the compression never changed over the 6/7 years of owning it through stock, BPU and single! Must say drove it for the last time today and it was pulling like a train! Man I'm going to miss it :(

Got the next beast lined up?

As it might take a bit of time before you take the head off, it might be worth while pulling the plugs and take a look to see whats what. Not that it will change anything, but will at least give an idea of which cylinder has gone and whether the piston it still in one piece.

Bad times Jay. Hope it's only head related.

Happy to give you a hand one weekend if you need it :thumbs:

Cheers matey, much appreciated :thumbs:

sorry to read this matey:(

Cheers Keef :)

As it might take a bit of time before you take the head off, it might be worth while pulling the plugs and take a look to see whats what. Not that it will change anything, but will at least give an idea of which cylinder has gone and whether the piston it still in one piece.

Hopefully going to get it off today bud, turbo side is off, just gotta couple of things to take off, pull the cams out & it should be off.

I think Jay had determined from compression check that it was cylinder one, had some fluid and was some way lower CR than others.

Yip