The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just f**ked the engine

jevansio

I had a similar thing happen myself. Strange thing was, after pulling the head off, it turned out that one of the valve seats had dropped out. Luckily it was caught by the valve and wedged back into the cylinder head. Damage was totally confined to the head.

Being honest, I'm a big fan of RLTC, and I had it on my car for 8 years, equating to around 40-50,000 miles in total. Never had any issues with engine damage, and believe me, I used it!

For what it's worth, IMHO, a built engine is only as good as the builder. I had a built engine in my car, built by Mig. I would like to say I helped him build it, but in reality, I just helped bolt bits together. He was very anal with clearances tolerances and cleanliness. That engine never missed a beat.

Good luck with your findings. Hopefully, as in my case, it won't be too bad.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well made some more progress today.

Stripped pretty much everything out the way ready for the head removal. Hodge came over & lent me a hand which I really appreciate :thumbs:

First off, as I was stripping stuff off the car, by chance I noticed that some of the exhaust cam bearing cap bolts were loose!!!!

Hodge arrived as I was about to start removing the cams, we took the gears off & were about to start removing the cams when John said that the exhaust cam was snapped.

Once the cams were removed we hit the next issue, I have ARP head studs, that means imperial, we didn't have a deep reach imperial 1/2", the 13mm fitted the outer studs, but not the inner ones. So it basically halted play until I get some this week.

One other thing I noticed, the back of the throttle was covered in petrol.

I dodn't know what I'm looking for but John said that it didn't look like it had dropped a valve from where we were. What does this mean in terms of the low compression on cyl 1, if it's hasn't dropped a valve does that mean problems with the piston?

Before John turned up I went over each bearing cap & took a photo (thought it may help), lucky I did :D, here you can see the exhaust cam totally snapped & seperated from the other half

attachment.php?attachmentid=104819&stc=1&d=1265552434

IMG_4804.jpg

Loose cam bearing bolts sounds like the cause of your problems and almost definetly why the cam has snapped.

How loose exactly were they, finger tight or worse ? and how many ? if one on the end was loose then the cam would snap as there not very good at bending

Sorry to be reading this jay you must be gutted mate, hope it all turns out good in the end

Loose cam bearing bolts sounds like the cause of your problems and almost definetly why the cam has snapped.

How loose exactly were they, finger tight or worse ?

Sorry to be reading this jay you must be gutted mate, hope it all turns out good in the end

Les than finger tight!

Cheers Dunk

Do the 264s move the engine into interference territory?

Not sure, but the compression test on 6 was the same as 5 to 2, so looks like the valves stopped in the up position.

What happens to a cylinder if the exhaust valves stick closed. Does it fire? Or does it just spew unburn air/fuel mixture back into the intake? Is that why I have petrol on the throttle butterfly?

What happens to a cylinder if the exhaust valves stick closed. Does it fire? Or does it just spew unburn air/fuel mixture back into the intake? Is that why I have petrol on the throttle butterfly?

Sounds plausible... Afterall, it has to go somewhere :)

Also if the intake valve is stuck, on the compression cycle it could leak back and contaminate the intake.

Les than finger tight!

Cheers Dunk

I take it the ones where the cams snapped are the loose ones ?

Not good mate but at least this could be just a head required and not the whole motor, fingers crossed

Have you checked any of the cam journal bolts with a torque wrench ? inlet as well as exhaust to see if any have been torqued up to their correct ftlbs

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

thing is you dont want it happeneing again! id get a big loan and get a 3.4 sorted (im not trying to put ideas in your head ;) lol)

On the plus side if you deside on a 3.4 set up you will have even moreeeeee power and sumin to look forward to mate.

Gutted for you that this has happened! same thing happened to my G60 this time last year! :(

Pau;

I take it the ones where the cams snapped are the loose ones ?

Not good mate but at least this could be just a head required and not the whole motor, fingers crossed

They were yes,

Thing is why is 1 down on compression, the snapped cam wouldn't account for that would it?

thing is you dont want it happeneing again! id get a big loan and get a 3.4 sorted (im not trying to put ideas in your head ;) lol)

On the plus side if you deside on a 3.4 set up you will have even moreeeeee power and sumin to look forward to mate.

Gutted for you that this has happened! same thing happened to my G60 this time last year! :(

Pau;

I'm def going for a stock engine, esp since this is the 1st time I've tried something like this. it's either going to be stock head or stock full engine + cams

Pau;

Didnt Jay say he was scared of the power he'd already got :D

Pull the buckets and shims off the valves near the exhaust cam snap and make sure the collets are there..... I think CW may be onto something :)

Already done this when John was here, everything looks spot on from this side of the head, I will get some pics now as John is gone & I don't really know what colletts look like :D

Already done this when John was here, everything looks spot on from this side of the head, I will get some pics now as John is gone & I don't really know what colletts look like :D

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2656407&postcount=102

http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/525501_ventilkege.jpg

Two little metal units that go round the stem of the valve just near the top of the valve spring. :)