The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just f**ked the engine

jevansio

The HKS cams are machined from billet cores, they are stiff and hard wearing but like most cams very brittle.

If the caps were lose it would have allowed the cam to bend causing it to snap.

They are hollow cast Nic, are most cams?

There is no fault with them, its just the way it is, and its been known for years.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cam has broke taking out cylinders 5 & 6, it's cylinder 1 which is down, the cams are OK over that cylinder

Hmmmmmmm im back to scratching my head, maybe theres more than 1 problem then, it should fairly obvious with the head off

They are hollow cast Nic, are most cams?

According to HKS they are machined from billet cores.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=656

There is no fault with them, its just the way it is, and its been known for years.

Yes would agree, any slight deflection in the cam caused by the lose cap would break it easily and as Dunk says one of the valves is probably stuck open.

In my opinion the head is totally scrap. The seats where the cans locate on cylinders 5 and 6 are scored really badly. 1 of which has a groove around 1mm deep all the way around. The exhaust can had debris all over it. In my opinion it looks like the came has definately snapped due to the bolts being not tight. It looks like nothing has been torqued directly at all. For instance the can pulleys, 1 bolt was quite easy to remove the other I had to swing on to loosen. The cam oil seals were full of silicon. Odviously they had been leaking and instead of replacing them the just filled them with gunk.

Every cam bolt had a different tension also. The garage which did this have a lot to answer to. Michel has had major problems with the sane garage as has bossco.

If you need anymore help jay giz a buzz.

Man, that's bad news - gutting to hear, but in a way, it's good and final - and can draw a line under it to move on from.

What's your thoughts on the bottom end John?

I won't know til the head comes off johnny. I'm going over jays next say to take it off with him. I'm concerned that they may be metal filings in the sump and bores now now due to the cam snapping. But as said the head needs to be off to check it out correctly.