Just f**ked the engine

jevansio

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry Nic, HKS cams for the 2JZ are cast. If caps were left loose they would probably snap, same if the head was warped.

Chris, the caps were loose but I have good confidence that when they were installed they would have been torqued upto the correct torque, the engine has been running for quite a while & survived TOTB & VMax

What reasons could the cap bolts loosen over time?

Chris, the caps were loose but I have good confidence that when they were installed they would have been torqued upto the correct torque, the engine has been running for quite a while & survived TOTB & VMax

What reasons could the cap bolts loosen over time?

Of course an engine might be completely different but in my experience the main culprits are wrong torque or vibration. Are they meant to be held in with loctite or another variant?

The last place to install the cams was Motoscope. I recall when they pulled them out they said that everything was not 100%. The caps themselves are numbered from Toyota, all my caps were in a random order, they tried putting them in the correct order but they said somthing wasn't right, in the end the installed them in the positions that they removed them from. I'll be glad to get rid of this head, never liked it, never had any confidence in it :D

This is the 3rd cam this head has destroyed

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

I don't believe the wrong torque explaination. The guy who put it in last wasn't an idiot. I don't believe he would torque up 95% of them correctly & not do a couple. I might be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Do I recall Chris saying that there was a possibility the head may have become soft? My exhaust manifold studs kept pulling out & the alloy around them was soft. Something to do with an overheat in a previous life, could that affect the caps in some way?

I don't believe the wrong torque explaination. The guy who put it in last wasn't an idiot. I don't believe he would torque up 95% of them correctly & not do a couple. I might be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Do I recall Chris saying that there was a possibility the head may have become soft? My exhaust manifold studs kept pulling out & the alloy around them was soft. Something to do with an overheat in a previous life, could that affect the caps in some way?

The history of your trouble regarding the head seems to point to the material of the head itself so it would seem that has a lot to do with it.

If the exhaust manifold studs were pulling out then I guess it is very possible that the caps were doing the same... maybe not to the same extent hence the longevity.

The history of your trouble regarding the head seems to point to the material of the head itself so it would seem that has a lot to do with it.

If the exhaust manifold studs were pulling out then I guess it is very possible that the caps were doing the same... maybe not to the same extent hence the longevity.

Does sound plausable doesn't it, never really thought about it that way but if studs are coming out on the side I guess it's possible a couple cm away bolts could be pulling slowly out

Im sure the block should be alright

Id not take the risk, any metal shavings or fragments from the broken cam could kill the block and the new head at a later date, even if the block appears to be good id give a complete strip down and chuck away any oil coolers, clean everything and flush all pipes for the engine rebuild.

Id not take the risk, any metal shavings or fragments from the broken cam could kill the block and the new head at a later date, even if the block appears to be good id give a complete strip down and chuck away any oil coolers, clean everything and flush all pipes for the engine rebuild.

If we assume that the block is gone too, & I went for a low mile stock engine, apart from me fitting some cams, what would be wise to do to it, should I not even crack it open & see how far it gets me? Maybe just get the stem oil seals done? Or should I be opening it up & changing a few essentials and a new HG?

If we assume that the block is gone too, & I went for a low mile stock engine, apart from me fitting some cams, what would be wise to do to it, should I not even crack it open & see how far it gets me? Maybe just get the stem oil seals done? Or should I be opening it up & changing a few essentials and a new HG?

Id probably leave new engine untouched, you could fit arp rod bolts if you fancy taking the sump off but i doubt id bother.

My car is still on the original stem seals and never a drop of smoke on startup, bit pot luck on that one id guess.

Key is finding a good used engine.

Suppose you could do the HG and if you do that then you may aswel do the stem seals whilst your there :)

That pretty much what i was getting at :)

The only reason I would want to take the head off would be to put ARP head bolts on there. I would go for the rod bolts too but that can be done from underneath.

Is it the rod bolts that were pointed out to be the weak point or the piston pins?

The only reason I would want to take the head off would be to put ARP head bolts on there. I would go for the rod bolts too but that can be done from underneath.

Is it the rod bolts that were pointed out to be the weak point or the piston pins?

There techically studs not bolts :D

From what i know its the wrist pins that are the weak point :)