The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA supercharger build

barneybrendan

I now have an ls400 throttle body to play with.It looks like it will fit just in the space available.Need to get some thick plate now to make a flange for it ive run out of scrap.What are the 2 actuators for on the side?

Just hit the first snag the celica cable is longer on the ends.

16072011745.jpg

16072011746.jpg

16072011747.jpg

16072011748.jpg

16072011749.jpg

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also remove the water ways from the TB, they just pull out with a little heat. As for throttle cable, I'm using a stock 2jz NA one, I've just removed some of the outer cable cover to expose enough inner cable to provide the required travel. If you find something more suitable, please let me know :)

thats probably what i will do ,at the moment it goes to a catch can.

I think there is some forces at work to stop me getting the car finished as ive just managed to break the casting that hold the tps to the main body,ive just put some jb weld on it so see how it is in the morning.

I was thinking of just getting the grinder out ,Oh well its not surprising it happend though.

Just checked the the throttle body this morning and it seems like the jb weld has held firm over night.I tried to pull it apart as hard as i could and it didnt budge.

Just fired the car up again after phase 2 and i have come across a bit of a problem.the car will start but the top silicone pipe is collapsing and cutting the engine out.If i was to keep on the throttle i can keep it running, but the pipe is still collapsed.

The throttle body is now before the charger and the bypass valve is after the throttle body.The bypass valve is opening properly on tickover.What could be causing the pipe to collapse.I took the pipe off started it and the car revved like mad.

apart from the problem the car now sounds a lot better than it did when i had it dyno'd

Well, at idle it will pull a strong pre throttle body vacuum, as the idle control valve (bypass valve) is only flowing a tiny amount of air and the engine is wanting lung fulls. I think it will need hard piping or flexi pipe designed to see vac and pressure, up to the engine side of the TB.

Well, at idle it will pull a strong pre throttle body vacuum, as the idle control valve (bypass valve) is only flowing a tiny amount of air and the engine is wanting lung fulls. I think it will need hard piping or flexi pipe designed to see vac and pressure, up to the engine side of the TB.

this is how its set up.

throttle bodthen hard pipe to the charger with the bypass valve inline,then the supercharger the outgoing pipe has a 40mm pipe connecting it to the bypass valve.It then goes through the intercooler via silicone bends and hard pipe.There is also silicone bends on the other side of the intercooler.The hard pipe then goes up to the original na tb which has had the butterfly removed but still using the idle control valve.the pipe that is collapsing is the silicone bend that connects to the na tb.

The confusing thing is everything ran fine when i was just using the na tb after the supercharger.

21072011768.jpg

21072011769.jpg

21072011770.jpg

DUH i now feel stupid.I didnt think obout the icv and basicly havnt got one plumbed in.Cheers pudsey (mark) for pointing that out to me.Basicly i left the original na one on the na throttlebody that i removed the butterfly from and thought that was all i needed to do.so now i need to feed air from before the v8 throttle body to the na icv some how.The other thing is does it actually matter where the icv is located,does it need to be before the charger for instance or can it stay where it is after the charger.Also the na body has 2 discs that look like they can be removed to put a fitting in for an air feed.

Basicly i was starving the engine of air.We removed one of the bungs from the na throttlebody and fed a pipe to it from infront of the v8 throttlebody and the car ticked over at 2000rpm .

10072011738.jpg

22072011810.jpg

Barney,

There are plenty of pics of how I have configured the ICV on mine, here's a couple.

The additional air filter looks trendy, but I cannot use it because of the HHO.

I will be using the set up in the second pic.

This will allow the ICV to draw from before the butterfly and prevent a build up of HHO at tickover. :bang:

attachment.php?attachmentid=129065&d=1301091266

attachment.php?attachmentid=128477&d=1300312596

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

fitted the old na throttle body back on today.I had the internal hole plugged and welded and the fitting tapped in to take the pipe.Need to try it now to see if its still sucking my pipes flat.If so its just another delay in having to get all the silicone replaced with 90 degree alloy bends and have them welded to me existing pipe.

04082011835.jpg