The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA supercharger build

barneybrendan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the plan along with better response ect and to quieten it down., but im not sure now as to wether to just stick with the original plan.I seem to be spending money on stuff to just try it out which is getting rather anoying now.£20 here and there soon turns into £100 here and there and so on.fitting tha na throttle body is an easy swap ,

the merc has an electronic valve which is prone to leaking and no good if you want to increase the boost.Looking on the merc forums it seems it is removed and a vacum operated one fitted.

My head is a bit fried ,the car was running fine on the dyno with the old setup.the only real difference is the v8 throttle body before the charger and the smaller pulley.With the small pulley obviously my boost has increased and the charger will be spinning faster on tickover,but would that increase the airflow past the bypass valve.What other reason would there be for the tickover to be so high.

Can I trouble you for a link to any Mercedes forums where they discuss these mods please Brendan? Ta!

Just fitted the na throttle body and it blew the intercooler pipe off.I need to give the bypass valve a feed from behind the throttlebody again as it didnt open oops.revs were at 200rpm before the pipe blew off.going to redo the vacum pipe now and try again ,but it seems the initial problem is either the v8 throttle body or the modified na one at the moment.

Right i have the na throttlebody back on and it is ticking over ok and revving normaly.Even with the bypass valve open and the intercooler pipe off there is still a fair bit of air pushing out the end.When i open the throttle the bypass valve shuts off as it should if i rev it quickly the revs drop instantly and the bypass valve opens instantly.going to reconect the intercooler pipe now to see what happens.

This is driving me mad now.check out the video again,the charger blowing into the na throttlebody works fine ,just noisey.

been reading up a bit more and if the bypass valve is not venting enough then the air will go back into the charger and bang dead charger.I am now wondering if this is what happend the first time when the charger let go good and proper.

• 2 weeks later...

i have just stripped the charger back down as it still didnt feel right.the edges of the impellers have slight ware and the casing has minor scoring.I cant understand what is wrong as the bearings are intact and still have grease in them,Very confused .I now have the old case fitted so i can make the intake elbow without anything falling into the charger.

As per telephone conversation.

The configuration you had before with the ICV mounted after the charger was starving the charger of cool air during tick-over.

If you had left it ticking over for any time, the charger would have been breathing the same recirculated air and soon get very hot.

Maybe it became hot enough to expand enough to do that and upset the front nylon thingy too?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

The intake has now been modified so only one straight rubber coupler is in line.What a damn nightmare that was.The mk3 tt ICV is now fitted just after the v8 throttle body.Things are now extremly tight ,and the plenum and runners need to be removed to get at everything.Going to refit the charger tomorrow as i still have the knackerd case bolted in place so i didnt get any splatter in the charger.

IMG_20110929_181902.jpg

IMG_20110929_181922.jpg

IMG_20110929_173402.jpg

IMG_20110929_173316.jpg

IMG_20110929_172827.jpg

IMG_20110929_172638.jpg

IMG_20110929_155723.jpg

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

Barney,

That's looking better, it will run cooler that way and from looking at those pics, I can tell you that your vacuum plumbing is causing your other induction fystery.

Those little hoses are venting air to each other at different throttle positions close to tick-over, blank each one off separately.

Barney,

That's looking better, it will run cooler that way and from looking at those pics, I can tell you that your vacuum plumbing is causing your other induction fystery.

Those little hoses are venting air to each other at different throttle positions close to tick-over, blank each one off separately.[/quote

I take it you are on about the ones on the throttle body