single build almost done with pics :)

L33

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a hard wearing rubber pipe vented to atmosphere via a breather filter. Would that be a proper breather system?

I would lose the PCV valve and run 2 -12 hoses to a breather tank, if you wanted you could run another hose from the tank (which should be full of scrubbing material) to either the Inlet pipe to the turbo or down to a 1 way valve on the exhaust system (which is what I'm thinking of doing).

The two blue hoses you have coming from the cam covers need to run to an "oil catch tank" (and also need replaceing with something more suitable). That tank can the optionally be plumbed back into the intake. Do a search for "catch can setups" or "catch tank setups"

The simplest setup is attaching a small filters directly to the cam cover outlets.

Next step up involves running them both to a catch tank which then breathes to atmosp (bit like mine here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2561553&postcount=264)

Next step up involves routing the catch tank to a vaccuum source (either the intake or the exhaust)

Most people use Earls connectors and braided hose

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

GT35r with tubular manifold.. approx 3k-3.5k. I only want a cast manifold so call it £2300-£2500. Kit includes all return lines, downpipe, intercooler pipes, gaskets, fittings etc etc etc.

EDIT: Kit includes the wastegate too. Think an HKS one was mentioned somewhere.

I may have missed this somewhere along the line...where can you buy a decent cast manifold kit with turbo, downpipe, wastegate pipes and intercooler pipes ready made for

But i have a cusco oil catch can fitted? You can just see it in the pic, its mounted just to the left of the air filter. One of the spouts on the can has nothing on it as thats the breather bit

Not enough for a single dude IMO + you still have the PCV valve connected. A stock car has the breather connected to the turbo inlets so it sucks the fumes out yours is just pushing them out, and the silicone will deteriorate quite quickly, the oil will even 'sweat' through it, I doubt your tuner will leave it on anyway if they have any sense.

O right no sorry i just have no idea what a pcv is or which silicone bits he is tryin to explain all i see is turbo and shiny bits lol

PCV = Positive crankcase ventilation

The PCV valve is a valve which connects to the cam cover at that point, I'm guessing it's a one way valve.

The silicone is the blue silicone hoses you are using, it's not regarded as being the usual choice of hose for that application

Not enough for a single dude IMO + you still have the PCV valve connected. A stock car has the breather connected to the turbo inlets so it sucks the fumes out yours is just pushing them out, and the silicone will deteriorate quite quickly, the oil will even 'sweat' through it, I doubt your tuner will leave it on anyway if they have any sense.

interesting post - subscribed and will look into this later on when i am back home.

I may have missed this somewhere along the line...where can you buy a decent cast manifold kit with turbo, downpipe, wastegate pipes and intercooler pipes ready made for

I could be wrong here but I think the Kit's that Nic supplied were individual items put together to make a package. One of the items in this package is the HKS tubular manifold. AFAIK they cost approx £1200. The cast manifolds cost approx £300 meaning a saving of approx £900.

The last time I saw prices for the GT35r kit it was around the 3k mark. Take into account the difference of the manifold and that drops to £2100. Of course this won't be entirely accurate as things don't add up that way regarding profit making etc so I just said to call it £2500.

Obviously exchange rates are constantly changing but I have always seen Nic to be the best value for money with turbo setups. Of course he is in business to make money but I don't think he takes as much of a cut as other businesses do.

I could buy a GT35r right now for 1k, I could then buy the manifold for approx £300. Why is it hard to believe that the rest of the kit could be bought for £1200?

Now you have brought this to my attention i will check on the web site cuz i thought it came with braided lines but will double check as i cant remember just got it sent to the garage. Ryan g is the tuner and no one has mentioned it to me. You say its not enough but what is? If its just the hoses then i can leep replacing them or get braided

Now you have brought this to my attention i will check on the web site cuz i thought it came with braided lines but will double check as i cant remember just got it sent to the garage. Ryan g is the tuner and no one has mentioned it to me. You say its not enough but what is? If its just the hoses then i can leep replacing them or get braided

It may be OK it may not be OK, have a look at the sort of systems Jamie P and PW run and pretty much every big power supra in the states, they all run uprated breathing systems.

What is the purpose of a oil catch tank? I was just told to buy one but i didnt ask what it does? I will see how it goes. This build is been a lot of try and see like the high stall and box. When its back i will see how every thing performs and make changes if needed like the catch can ect. Most prob want to change the injectors later in the year for bigger to chase the bigger bhp goals so make a few little changes then but for the moment i just want it back so not changing things yet just see how it goes

What is the purpose of a oil catch tank? I was just told to buy one but i didnt ask what it does? I will see how it goes. This build is been a lot of try and see like the high stall and box. When its back i will see how every thing performs and make changes if needed like the catch can ect. Most prob want to change the injectors later in the year for bigger to chase the bigger bhp goals so make a few little changes then but for the moment i just want it back so not changing things yet just see how it goes

Leave it as it is for now then as you only seem to want conservative boost on the road, the prob will be when you turn it up a bit.

Leave it as it is for now then as you only seem to want conservative boost on the road, the prob will be when you turn it up a bit.

what are you recommending that he does, as supposed to venting the Oil catch tank to atmosphere are you suggesting that he plumbs it into the intake?

Do you mean into the air intake? Thats how it was before but was advised to have the catch can? Im on my phone so i cant get the link but if you look on my various j spec parts for sale thread i have the filter and intake pipe there. Both hoses from the rocker cover did go to that but like i said was advised to change?

If the engine could not breath it must find somewhere to vent its crankcase compression so it will find the weakest point, prob your FMOS, as toyota designed it the gasses get SUCKED out you have not increased the hose size or anything but have removed the suck part, single turbo cars can suffer with more crank case pressure therfore need a better breathing system not a worse one which is what you now have:eyebrows:

Personally i just run a sealed catch tank with both the open and PCV valved breather (removed) T'd together into the catch tank, and the outlet from the tank just goes to the turbo intake, i am running the same turbo as you are.

IMO its perfectly adequate, i do not subscribe to the popular US theory that FMS fail because of crankcase pressurisation, the only time i can see the FMS failing due to this is if there is considerable bore/ring wear and running silly boost pressures, the rest of the time FMS failure is 99% down to worn oil pump, i think CW is also a firm subscriber to this also.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)