The mkiv Supra Owners Club

single build almost done with pics :)

L33

thing is i blew my engine up so i had to start from scratch so wasnt that simple for me thats why its a bit more expensive but then i just got carried away

and yea i will try and start some sort of thread, the garage said they have taken a few pics of the build to put on here :)

I feel for you mate, I really do. The one thing that I'm not so sure how I would handle is someone else doing the work for me. I'm an engineer to trade so with the right tools, space and time I don't think there is anything I could do myself. I like doing things on my own so that there is noone else to blame but myself, also I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist.

Paying someone to do something I feel I could do myself doesn't sit right, but I always have to do it due to time, space & tooling constraints. Oh for a ramp, a filled snapon tool chest and a lottery win :D

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ha ha well im the opposite, im a electrician by trade and around cars im like a fish out of water :) and i wouldnt dream of doing it my self so happily pay some one to take the stress from me :)

my gf done a year training to be a mechanic but got so much stick she had to leave but even she changed the brakes on my supra because i didnt know what to do :( i took the wheel off tho :)

i did (under supervision) put on a set of coilovers on a polo the other day so i am trying just not my trade!

Remember and put up a post once finished, for the newbies, about how you would have done it all differently if you could again :D

Sell TT & buy ready made single :p

FWIW I'm thinking about going single in the future. Won't be undertaking that sort of a project though. Full engine diagnostic.... if its not up to the task .... it's staying TT. If it is up to it, small single bolted on with some bits and bobs... jobs a good un. Granted I'll be about 8-10k lighter in the pocket but it definitely won't cost me a rebuild.

If you do it right dude you can have the engine build too;)

yea sorry i ment block!

it came to about 500 quid for a set of wiseco pistons :)

will just be glad to get it back on the road and drive it. ive not built it for drag or track just for me really and bhp braggin rights lol

Dude, it looks like it should run pretty good times with a bit of race fuel, you may be surprised, it should run easily in the 11's.

If you do it right dude you can have the engine build too;)

If I did it myself I would. The trouble is that if I did it that way it would take ages to complete, as in years rather than months. The kit I'm looking at buying comes to 7k on its own :taped:

And thats with a cast manifold :blink:

I know I could go with cheaper bits and bobs, and I know there is no reason not to.... I just want what I want. Whether it is spending 4k or 7k it doesn't really make a difference. It is still a ridiculous sum of money regardless, considering it adds no worth. My reasoning is I might as well get what I want lol for that reason only.

its a growing trend ;)

A rebuild is a bit different though mate. As far as nuts and bolts go, a Single is a bolt on job. Without a word of a lie I reckon the likes of Dude could probably do the left hand side of the engine in less than a shift.

Of course the leccy's and the injectors take a bit of time but other than that..... :search:

Of course I am maybe simplifying it... but that is just how I see it without experience on the ACTUAL job at hand lol.

Dude.... TT - Single without mapping... 4 FULL shifts? Of course that would depend on the bits mating but lets call it a proven off the shelf kit with a clutch change on a 6spd.

ha ha well im the opposite, im a electrician by trade and around cars im like a fish out of water :) and i wouldnt dream of doing it my self so happily pay some one to take the stress from me :)

my gf done a year training to be a mechanic but got so much stick she had to leave but even she changed the brakes on my supra because i didnt know what to do :( i took the wheel off tho :)

i did (under supervision) put on a set of coilovers on a polo the other day so i am trying just not my trade!

I'm a spark Lee, and I managed it :D

not really, i put a fcd in before i started the build but considering the garage is 2 hours away from my house its not some thing i can pop and do lol!

i did see there is like a million wires for the ecu tho! the most i see is 4 at work ;) lol

A rebuild is a bit different though mate. As far as nuts and bolts go, a Single is a bolt on job. Without a word of a lie I reckon the likes of Dude could probably do the left hand side of the engine in less than a shift.

Of course the leccy's and the injectors take a bit of time but other than that..... :search:

Of course I am maybe simplifying it... but that is just how I see it without experience on the ACTUAL job at hand lol.

Dude.... TT - Single without mapping... 4 FULL shifts? Of course that would depend on the bits mating but lets call it a proven off the shelf kit with a clutch change on a 6spd.

Yes dude thats feasable, you sound pretty confident, your BIG problem will be getting the twins off without a ramp etc and the crux is as you said everything fitting!!!

Dude what kit are you getting for the money you quoted, im intrigued

:blink:

Yes dude thats feasable, you sound pretty confident, your BIG problem will be getting the twins off without a ramp etc and the crux is as you said everything fitting!!!

Dude what kit are you getting for the money you quoted, im intrigued

:blink:

Getting the twins off isn't an issue for me to be honest. I wasn't a kick in the crack of having them off when my 2nd tubby blew a while back. In fact, I would do the transplant myself if it happened again... it is just time really.

I have tried to account for everything:

Firstly - Compression test, leak down test, general engine health check - £?????

GT35r with tubular manifold.. approx 3k-3.5k. I only want a cast manifold so call it £2300-£2500. Kit includes all return lines, downpipe, intercooler pipes, gaskets, fittings etc etc etc.

Solaris ECU - Allowing 2k fitted and mapped. If it's more, I'll walk lol.

Clutch - RPS stg3 more than likely. £400-£500? Fitting is silly money I know but that is something I wouldn't fancy doing myself unless I seen someone doing it first. Never been near that side of the engine/assembly and no amount of photos would make me think otherwise without a set of ramps.

650cc Injectors - Looking for Drop in High Imp ones. Budgeted £600

Fuel Pump - New Walbro, I have one but I'm taking no chances £100+

I just did the water pump, oil pump & front crank seal at a cost of £800.

Seals - Rear crank & cam seals still need done. Cam should be straight forward enough for me, rear crank will be done same time as clutch.

256/256 Cams - Budgeted £600. To be honest I would rather fit them myself, I just don't know anyone local I could trust to properly shim them. I'm handy with a set of feelers and I know most people in the know on here wouldnt mind helping out over the phone for a couple of beers if needed.

Radiator - £400. Wasn't really sure how much the Koyo rads are. Might be more, might be less. Thought £400 was round enough though.

All new belts - £160 (based on a kevlar timing belt)

All new Plugs - £100 (based on decent ones)

Full service fluids - £150 (what I normally pay for everything)

I know I have probably overbudgeted a few things but I thought it better to be safe than sorry. Notice that I haven't mentioned many labour costs yet. I've already taken one of the main preventative hits in the seal & oil pump so that can only be a good start lol.

EDIT: Kit includes the wastegate too. Think an HKS one was mentioned somewhere.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

sard drop in injectors high imp less than 500 quid so a little saved there

63561 (6 X 650cc) TOYOTA SUPRA (JZA80 2JZ-GTE, JZA70 1JZ-GTE) SOARER (JZZ30 1JZ-GTE 96.8-) MARK II (JZX81/90 1JZ-GTE) 650cc - Side, High Impedance, 2 Hole, Yellow (Pic 19) Time 1.5 msec US $ 621.49

http://www.nengun.com/sard/injectors

i got my cams from kyle from velocity performance for 500 quid but since this ecu problem and shocking customer service i would avoid him but look in the states for as much as you can then only pay one delivery

dont need a new rad, a good condition standard one will be more than adequite

little things but will help save here and there

sard drop in injectors high imp less than 500 quid so a little saved there

63561 (6 X 650cc) TOYOTA SUPRA (JZA80 2JZ-GTE, JZA70 1JZ-GTE) SOARER (JZZ30 1JZ-GTE 96.8-) MARK II (JZX81/90 1JZ-GTE) 650cc - Side, High Impedance, 2 Hole, Yellow (Pic 19) Time 1.5 msec US $ 621.49

http://www.nengun.com/sard/injectors

i got my cams from kyle from velocity performance for 500 quid but since this ecu problem and shocking customer service i would avoid him but look in the states for as much as you can then only pay one delivery

dont need a new rad, a good condition standard one will be more than adequite

little things but will help save here and there

I'm hoping that when the time is right Nic will be my one stop shop. I dare say it won't work out that way but that is the aim of it all. Nengun are Japan based I'm sure.

I always prefer to deal with people I can talk to face to face but it is obviously a bit of a difficult task with regards to these parts.

I also want a new rad, can't beat efficient cooling. Stock are more expensive than aftermarket hence mentioning Koyo. To be honest most of the things I have planned for the car I want to do regardless of going single. The actual single and the ECU are the big spends, obviously, but the little bits and bobs I want to do to have a healthy car anyway :)

Overbudgeting just gives me more to spend on fuel when it's all done :D

some one else is still up! lol

yea thats what i dont over budget and i miss calculated big time ha ha

yea nengun are jap based but they were really good to deal with and i bought two sets from them no troubles

sounds good wanting to upgrade all the other stuff to like your rad, be all new and fresh :)

things never work out as they plan, hopefully will for you and nic will sort you out!

some one else is still up! lol

yea thats what i dont over budget and i miss calculated big time ha ha

yea nengun are jap based but they were really good to deal with and i bought two sets from them no troubles

sounds good wanting to upgrade all the other stuff to like your rad, be all new and fresh :)

things never work out as they plan, hopefully will for you and nic will sort you out!

Yeah I'm a bit of a nighthawk.

I can't afford to plough money into the car monthly so once I want to make sure the figure I choose to spend is approx the figure I end up spending. If I get the engine tested and it isn't up to the task I just won't go ahead. I don't see any problems as the engine is absolutely solid as far as I am concerned but I won't be taking anything for granted. Other than studs breaking etc etc I can't see anything I haven't thought of. No doubt I will be proven wrong but that is all part of the fun :D

Nice list Scott, I could save you prob about 2K off that if I was speccing it, shame you didn't get the cam seals done when you did the front seal but as you want uprated cams it doesn't matter too much. The clutch is easy if you have the equipment and the cams the same, I will always talk you thru it if you get stuck.

Looking good dude, if I were you I would lose the silicone hose from the breather outlet that is going down the left of the engine and from the PCV valve to the inlet, it is not designed for that, it will go all murky and horrible in no time, I would also think about a proper breather system.