The mkiv Supra Owners Club

single build almost done with pics :)

L33

I will be honest its all a bit over my head. I will spk to the garage and see what they say. I did have all new water and oil pumps fitted

Sorry mate i was replying more to other posts on crankcase venting, have a word with the garage and just get them to use better quality breather pipe, and run it to your catch tank, although the silicone should be OK for a while until the oil starts to weaken it.

Oil pump is a must on a newley built motor;)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It may be OK it may not be OK, have a look at the sort of systems Jamie P and PW run and pretty much every big power supra in the states, they all run uprated breathing systems.

Just to give you an Idea what Dude in on about...

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/pictures/powder/carnew.jpg

Personally i just run a sealed catch tank with both the open and PCV valved breather (removed) T'd together into the catch tank, and the outlet from the tank just goes to the turbo intake, i am running the same turbo as you are.

IMO its perfectly adequate, i do not subscribe to the popular US theory that FMS fail because of crankcase pressurisation, the only time i can see the FMS failing due to this is if there is considerable bore/ring wear and running silly boost pressures, the rest of the time FMS failure is 99% down to worn oil pump, i think CW is also a firm subscriber to this also.

You have just actually described what I told him to run on his car!!

As for saying that crankcase compression will not blow out the oil seal what a load of twaddle, anyone who knows anything about an engine will tell you how important the crankcase evacuation system is, at the end of the day the engine is just an air pump and no matter how good a seal the rings are etc you WILL get crankcase pressure, now you say silly boost levels, this engine was designed to run at .8bar with 2 small turbos on it, you have just stuck a big single on and are going to run at 1.5 bar, so thats twice the boost with a bigger turbo, you do the math, the more you tune any engine and stick more boost in the more crank pressure you will get and I dont care what anyone says, not only can it blow seals but it doesnt help the longevity of the turbo:blink:

Damn I guess myself and all those other single

owners are wrong then and toyota just sucked the gasses out for the hell of it:blink:

I presume this is s facetious rejoinder is to my post, so first off as i said its my opinion only, although you may want to talk to Chris Wilson, and some of the US guys.

Secondly it is based on my experience with FMS failure, as i did a fair bit of testing when trying to find a definite reason for the failures.

I tested crankcase pressure with low reading pressure gauge connected to the dip stick tube, with both the std breather system and with catch tank, i did this with PCV in place and removed, and at no time did i record any positive pressure.

Admittedly i was with both std and hybrid turbos, and running at the most 16 psi up to std RPM limit, and not a single, ( however i may now retest)

Now i will concede that when running the Supra motor in a serious drag setup, running high amounts of boost and possibly stroked motor, also maybe a dry sump, there is going to be a certain amount of crankcase pressurisation granted,

However my point being that when in normal and single turbo road setups it is pretty unlikely that the front main seal in particular could be

displaced enough by crankcase pressure to cause failure,

You only have to take a look at the oil pump drain hole size to see that it would take considerable and sustained pressure to cause failure, and his is simply not seen in a road engine unless it has serious problems.

There is just not enough space behind the seal to result in enough pressure build up anyway, and crankcase pressure would have to be enough to prevent the flow of oil that is leaks/bypasses the pump in operation, crankcase pressurisation could if high enough contribute to forcing oil past the seal, but i would expect the pressure required to be extremely high.

So i conclusion my opinions are not just unfounded waffle but based on my own testing ( i wonder how many people can back up there opinions in this way?

And at no point did i say anything about Toyota's own PCV system not working or being viable.

I am happy to debate the subject further.

Edit: however as in your latest post you just want to shoot down the theory and call it twaddle, then never mind.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

I presume this is s facetious rejoinder is to my post, so first off as i said its my opinion only, although you may want to talk to Chris Wilson, and some of the US guys.

Secondly it is based on my experience with FMS failure, as i did a fair bit of testing when trying to find a definite reason for the failures.

I tested crankcase pressure with low reading pressure gauge connected to the dip stick tube, with both the std breather system and with catch tank, i did this with PCV in place and removed, and at no time did i record any positive pressure.

Admittedly i was with both std and hybrid turbos, and running at the most 16 psi up to std RPM limit, and not a single, ( however i may now retest)

Now i will concede that when running the Supra motor in a serious drag setup, running high amounts of boost and possibly stroked motor, also maybe a dry sump, there is going to be a certain amount of crankcase pressurisation granted,

However my point being that when in normal and single turbo road setups it is pretty unlikely that the front main seal in particular could be

displaced enough by crankcase pressure to cause failure,

You only have to take a look at the oil pump drain hole size to see that it would take considerable and sustained pressure to cause failure, and his is simply not seen in a road engine unless it has serious problems.

There is just not enough space behind the seal to result in enough pressure build up anyway, and crankcase pressure would have to be enough to prevent the flow of oil that is leaks/bypasses the pump in operation, crankcase pressurisation could if high enough contribute to forcing oil past the seal, but i would expect the pressure required to be extremely high.

So i conclusion my opinions are not just unfounded waffle but based on my own testing ( i wonder how many people can back up there opinions in this way?

And at no point did i say anything about Toyota's own PCV system not working or being viable.

I am happy to debate the subject further.

Edit: however as in your latest post you just want to shoot down the theory and call it twaddle, then never mind.

No dude im happy to discuss this in fact we might even be able to compile some worthwhile figures, when we get my engine on the engine dyno that also measures blow by so we can get readings on a brand new engine then broken in etc and see how they vary, if we have time maybe even tryu diff breather systems, you are welcome to come and have a looksee thet day if you want.

No dude im happy to discuss this in fact we might even be able to compile some worthwhile figures, when we get my engine on the engine dyno that also measures blow by so we can get readings on a brand new engine then broken in etc and see how they vary, if we have time maybe even tryu diff breather systems, you are welcome to come and have a looksee thet day if you want.

I am glad you two are getting on so well and making progress with your theories, I don't have the foggiest idea what you both are on about :)

I am glad you two are getting on so well and making progress with your theories, I don't have the foggiest idea what you both are on about :)

ah im not the only one :)

well i emailed the garage sunday but no reply yet, i thought they started back to work monday but looking at the weather that might be why ive had no reply as its near reading which looks pretty snowed over!

personally if i had to work on such a erection making car i would walk the earth to get there LOL!

i've gone full circle and now decided against an oil catch tank for now.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=16394&d=1261676824

Not the best pic that illustrates this however I have a pipe hooked up to the cam cover breather outlet that vents to atmosphere via a filter breather by the AEM in the pic.

I reckon if the engine is pissing out oil then there are major issues with the engine that need to be dealt with rather than hidden. If its just some minute vapour then a breather filter should be sufficient to deal with it.

i've gone full circle and now decided against an oil catch tank for now.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=16394&d=1261676824

Not the best pic that illustrates this however I have a pipe hooked up to the cam cover breather outlet that vents to atmosphere via a filter breather by the AEM in the pic.

I reckon if the engine is pissing out oil then there are major issues with the engine that need to be dealt with rather than hidden. If its just some minute vapour then a breather filter should be sufficient to deal with it.

I had mine like that for a long time, imo the main things you want to avoid is restrictive pipes as L33 has and the small filter that some put on the cam cover, most other ways work just fine, i still run the stock pcv valve on mine.

• 1 month later...

Hi bill

It was set to be picked up today but there wasn't a space for mot this week but did quickly do a emissions test which it failed on, so I've emailed ryan g askin if he has any time to tweek the fueling to get it through the mot! Hoping he will have time so I can finally get the car home! No idea if I will make the mini meet sat now bill :( fingers crossed

The new BW is on tho and apparently looks huge compared to the gt4088 but I haven't seen it or on any ones car to no lol

Hi bill

It was set to be picked up today but there wasn't a space for mot this week but did quickly do a emissions test which it failed on, so I've emailed ryan g askin if he has any time to tweek the fueling to get it through the mot! Hoping he will have time so I can finally get the car home! No idea if I will make the mini meet sat now bill :( fingers crossed

The new BW is on tho and apparently looks huge compared to the gt4088 but I haven't seen it or on any ones car to no lol

Lets hope you get it sorted, Would be good to see it at the meet :)

Its a jap spec, k plate 1993 it got some stupid irish plate on since I bought it but when I was told 93 I thought it was ok to put my L33 private plate on until I sent it to dvla and it came back as a early 93 so a k plate! It was imported in 95 but the dvla said they have to other records so its on the system as a k 93 not L

Had the same with mine log book says 1994, reg plate says 1994. Import dock says 1994 by when mot test station put vin plate code in it showed 1993 so no emission test required.

What a result :D

Jurgen may be able to say if this can be fiddled when importing, don't know how it's been done as i'm the 3rd owner since my car was imported.

Anybody else have any ideas?