The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Post Llandow discussion thread

Homer

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Steve for organising that, had a good time and my Saab survived chasing Supras.

Since my membership has lapsed I can't access the pics thread, but I am uploading over 600 pics my gf took to our Flickr account. The upload will be finished in the morning, but should be able to see the ones done so far.

Might take a while to wade through, but most cars are there, including 4 seperate spins for one Supra...

Thanks for the pics mate, love this one:)

Glad the pics are of use. I am sure the pro photographer will have plenty to be distributed by Steve soon, so everybody should have lots of on-track photos.

A few of my gf's photos are in my 'Saab Blog' post here. The pics tend to be of guys I know, cars that spun a lot or had incidents (sorry for that), and me, so may not be of interest to all.

Am also happy the Saab kept up with a lot of Supras. The weight saving, a tuned engine with V-Power and octane booster, and pushing the car harder than last year seemed to work nicely.

The upload will be finished in the morning, but should be able to see the ones done so far.

Might take a while to wade through, but most cars are there, including 4 seperate spins for one Supra...

Thanks matey, some great pictures there to go in my garage

Another fun day!

My thanks go to all who attended, especially Daniel and KAte for helpng me organse everything and the events on the day. Extended thanks to the track owners & staff, of course. The whole day seemed to go well and I cen't wait to see the full set of photos and videos that come to light over the next few days & weeks.

I had great fun, it's a short track but a good mix of bends in the ~1 mile length. The only downside from my perspective was I've completed finshed off a set of race pads (4 track days) and front disks... oops. ;)

Tim who owns the 318i that crashed was thet only incident worth mentioning: it swapped ends under powering out of the final, long bend and went broadside into a tyre wall causing a lot of moderate bodywork damage. He wasn't hurt, the car was still straight, and he was most philosophical as he was meant to be in the blue flame-spitting rex that made an appearance last year, so it could have been worse!

One final note to Paul Whiffin: your car looks great in the metal, all stickered up and "proper" race car appearance. It was great to share the track with you at one point in the afternoon when I felt I manage to stick with you reasonably well for a lap considering the weight/tyre difference. Anyway it looked awesome in action! :) As discussed, another Supra-heavy track event should happen again, as soon as possible.

Cheers all!

(p.s. pictures thread is here.)

Fantastic day as usual, loved every minute of it! Great to see the regulars and a few new faces. Took my son for his first ever track day, he hasn't stopped raving about it since (still wearing his llandow wrist band!)

Did 355 miles on the day including 95 miles on track at 1.6bar without missing a beat. God, I love Supra reliability!

Many thanks to Steve and the crew for a great day, can't wait for Llandow 2010!

Few secs of us trying to outbrake eachother into the 'Oh shit turn'

Edited by b_have (see edit history)

Big thanks to Steve and everyone who helped organise another great day! I had fun again, even if I did burn through yet another set of tyres - and brakes too this time (but thankfully had spares of each).

It may be a bit tight and fiddly in places, but Llandow is still great fun for just throwing my car around... which maybe I did a bit much as the car does invite it, so apologies to my passengers.

Took the camera out with me on a few laps so I'm sure Chris will upload the video once we sort it out - only got back from our mini Wales road trip last night so haven't had chance to sort anything out yet. Shame I can't see the other pictures using my login, but I'll have to look over his shoulder later on.

I hope Tim with the BMW got home OK without attracting too much attention and that Adnan's brakes got him home OK - having to use the handbrake to come back in was a little worrying!

Please run another day like this soon as I want to do it again! :D

Edited by WRX-Jo (see edit history)

Sounds like a really good day out, looking forward to checking the pics and vids out

Sorry for the gut who had the accident :( but glad that wasn't Darren

Tim was pretty happy with the day all in all, going past supras in the 318is, he thought he'd be the slowest one on track and hold everyone up :rolleyes:

Big thanks to Steve and everyone who helped organise another great day! I had fun again, even if I did burn through yet another set of tyres - and brakes too this time (but thankfully had spares of each).

It may be a bit tight and fiddly in places, but Llandow is still great fun for just throwing my car around... which maybe I did a bit much as the car does invite it, so apologies to my passengers.

Took the camera out with me on a few laps so I'm sure Chris will upload the video once we sort it out - only got back from our mini Wales road trip last night so haven't had chance to sort anything out yet. Shame I can't see the other pictures using my login, but I'll have to look over his shoulder later on.

I hope Tim with the BMW got home OK without attracting too much attention and that Adnam's brakes got him home OK - having to use the handbrake to come back in was a little worrying!

Please run another day like this soon as I want to do it again! :D

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You made it here than! :D my brakes were fine ten minutes later, littlenum pointed out what i was doing wrong, i was holding the break rather than stamping on it when i needed it so i was building up too much excessive heat in the brakes! thanks for the ride in you car, it was a laugh, like i said, will be sending my wifey to you for tuition.

which member with the red supra had the water pipe issue? hope there was no trouble on the way home......

Mark Newman. He said he cut the pipe a little shorter to remove the split section, then re-attached. I had to do a similar thing on an old runabout of mine years back and it was fine for 2 years afterwards at which point I sold it. ;)

Regarding running the event again, I'm in 2 minds. Unlike last year we didn't quite cover costs on this event, so I'm once bitten, twice shy. It's a lot of effort ("thanks to everyone who organised" = 99.9% just me leading up to the day, then me plus my Kate and Dan on the day) and to not fill it is dissapointing. I also feel that I love that little track and would still enjoy it even if I were Lewis Hamilton - plus it's great for novices alike, however I'm starting to feel I've 'graduated' from it a little and want to try something a bit more. I know the track regulars have similar thoughts in their heads.

It's difficult to ignore the zero financial risk and considerable ease of simply going along with a track day organised by another club/organisation/company. Yes I could organise an event like this for the future then pull the plug 2 weeks before if it's not filled, but there would be the same amount of work in it for me and that approach would dissapoint everyone (including me) who signed up and was wanting to go. Plus you'd get the usual I'll sign-up if enough other people sign-up sheep mentality and then it'd get nowhere. :(

As a club 95% of tracks are simply NOT viable for us to hire on our own. The big name tracks (Donington, Silverstone, Bedford...) deliberately price-out private hire for all but the very weathly, leaving only the medium sized tracks like Mallory as options for an 'upgrade'. As I've struggled to fill this event at a veryresonable price, I just can't see moving up te league as being possible: the costs WILL be higher.

Llandow this weekend was a great day, but I'm still a little disheartened for the future. I'd hoped to move to bigger & 'better' tracks, but we just don't seem to have the commitment amongst the ranks. I start to wonder why those who don't take in events like this even have Supras. These cars are for driving. :taped:

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

Jo drives well for a girl doesn't she! ;)

(Waits for a bite, knowing she wants to keep her post count low. :innocent:)

Ooh that's mean (on both counts) ;) . Oh what the hell, I guess I'd better do the decent thing and pay up anyway. Unless I am allowed free membership as Adnan kindly suggests...

At least then I'd see the pictures, although Sevenman's are pretty good - looks like I managed to get my car on three wheels at one point!

Edited by WRX-Jo (see edit history)

I'd hoped to move to bugger & 'better' tracks
I don't think that's quite what you meant!

Well I enjoyed my couple of goes on the track in the morning. Although the club did lose money it wasn't a huge amount and hopefully easily out weighed by the enjoyment everyone had. I expect the recession and job loses haven't help, so maybe next year people will be more willing to participate. We may have to keep it to the smaller (cheaper) tracks until we know there are enough members committed to attending a bigger track day.

And thanks Steve for your hard work in organising the event, it is greatly appreciated.