The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Post Llandow discussion thread

Homer

I dont see the problem with sharing the track myself, if it means you have a better day on a MUCH better track then why not?

We've never had a problem with open wastegates at any track, exhausts yes but never wastegates. As long as your below 105db on the static test it'll be fine and from listening to cars at the weekend there's only a couple that would have a problem.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as though that does sound like a good idea, dont you think its a bit much? as in some of us are amateurs and may not be able to take up the full thrill the bigger circuits will be able to offer, so wouldnt it be a waste of money....?

i mean paul were not all race drivers with proper track set up cars, IMO llandow was a great track because it was a complete laugh, you dont need to be a pro to get round.

Nope, your wrong there, I've been doing track days for about 8 years now and when I started my Supra was completely standard on Jap spec brakes. Yesterday for instance there was a 1991 Rover Metro going round, also a Ford Ka, so you wont feel out of place at all. And I'm no pro driver, I do a lot of track days but I'm not Michael Schumacher.

I dont see the problem with sharing the track myself, if it means you have a better day on a MUCH better track then why not?

We've never had a problem with open wastegates at any track, exhausts yes but never wastegates. As long as your below 105db on the static test it'll be fine and from listening to cars at the weekend there's only a couple that would have a problem.

i hope this is the case, as im going to try open wastegate on my mr2, lol.

i cant see the problem either, what id would suggest is someone point the direction of the next day available at brands hatch etc, and then just try to fill the slots with as many supra's etc.

it wouldnt be a supra only day as is open to public, but would not put pressure on anyone to fill spaces

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/brands_hatch.htm

Edited by lockys96 (see edit history)

i hope this is the case, as im going to try open wastegate on my mr2, lol.

i cant see the problem either, what id would suggest is someone point the direction of the next day available at brands hatch etc, and then just try to fill the slots with as many supra's etc.

it wouldnt be a supra only day as is open to public, but would not put pressure on anyone to fill spaces

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/brands_hatch.htm

Well, me, Steve L, Ben Weeks and a couple of others are going to Snetterton on the 16th July for a full day for starters, proper track that is as well, plenty of run off for the novices as well.

Like I said, there is nothing stopping anyone attendings these organised track days open to the public, but does the club want to go back to Llandow andhire it just for us AS WELL? :p

Please let's not carry on about the other events in this thread, because it's not an 'either-or' situation: I just wanted to know if there was interest in goig back to Llandow (and/or similar) in future. You can still attend oter track days organised elsewhere as well (indeed I do exactly that myself!). Mark, Paul, if you didn't like Llandow then I'm sorry, but you don't have to come back. Everyone else in the thread seems happy to go back and have another play with other forum members. The short story is: if we think we can fill another day(s) then I'll sort them for our members and provide that opportunity: please don't try and persuade people to not attend. I'm trying to enrish the comunity, and it feels as if you're doing the opposite. Im sure it's not deliberate! :(

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

Thats not the case, I'm not trying to put people off, I just think there's better days to be had at a proper race track for not that much extra £.

It's the extra £ that puts people off. Whereas I thought a full day at Rockingham for

I try to provide a cheap & cheerful event (as cheap and as cheerful as possible in fact!) just for our members - and as many members as possible considering price, driver skill, previous experience or lack thereof, car/spec, noise limits, etc, etc, etc - which I would like to hope still has a place alongside the commercial offerings.

I enjoy both! I'll be at the bigger 'posh' tracks with their FIA approved what-nots as well as the Llandow-a-likes. :)

I'd be up for either. As long as more than a couple of club members go to a public event, perhaps get a group discount, get a few garages booked all together, then it still feels like a club event to me.

I had trouble getting power down on at Llandow with all the bumps (and my various technical difficulties) but I'd be happy to go back again because it's just a fun day out. Having said that, Rockingham and Silverstone suit the Supra SOOO much better as you can really open them up and use their legs a bit.

I didn't have any trouble getting power down at Llandow, Chris. Get your geo sorted. record> ;)

As you know I sorted a group booking at Rockingham ealier in the year and we had 9 cars attend. It is a great track and I will certainly go back to that and other 'proper' tracks again in future - and would hope to rustle up some interest from others too: perhaps others will be interested in joining the usual suspects now that they've got the bug from last weekend... anyway I'm glad to know you'd come to Llandow again as well. :)

My car is never going to pass a noise test on a "proper" trackday and im not willing to make it quiet just for the once a year when i might want to take it to silverstone/brands etc so im all up for sticking with llandow.

I think its a great little track, the staff are friendly and not strict on driving style:innocent: always have a good laugh at the traval lodge the night before aswell:D

I think a V-max type event would be popular, although i do think that some may worry (not me:D) that holding the car flat out for a long time they my blow it up, i think a far more popular event would be a MLR 30-130 type event as there is not much skill involved in that and its a good test on how fast our cars are.

I didn't have any trouble getting power down at Llandow, Chris. Get your geo sorted. record> ;)

As you know I sorted a group booking at Rockingham ealier in the year and we had 9 cars attend. It is a great track and I will certainly go back to that and other 'proper' tracks again in future - and would hope to rustle up some interest from others too: perhaps others will be interested in joining the usual suspects now that they've got the bug from last weekend... anyway I'm glad to know you'd come to Llandow again as well. :)

Yeah yeah, the car's already back in the garage to get the arches sorted and to fix the EGCV (again), then we'll see if there's anything left in the piggy bank to pay for geo and corner weighting.

I think a V-max type event would be popular, although i do think that some may worry (not me:D) that holding the car flat out for a long time they my blow it up, i think a far more popular event would be a MLR 30-130 type event as there is not much skill involved in that and its a good test on how fast our cars are.

Good points - I've sent an enquiry asking if a mix of activities across one day would be possible. e.g straight-line stuff like the top speed plus the things you've mentioned in the morning, track type stuff in the afternoon.

We'll see what they come back with. :)

Until the Skyline is finished I don't really have a suitable car for Llandow. The Zeus never got out of 3rd gear and it's really too bumpy and knocked hell out of it, even running an incorrectly high ride height, and the Lola would be far too noisy, plus be like trying to fly a fighter plane round the bedroom. So I need to wait until the GTS is finished before I go back to Llandow, but am up for a bigger circuit, too. Still never been able to work out why I see far more Skylines on track days than Supras... :(

So I need to wait until the GTS is finished before I go back to Llandow, but am up for a bigger circuit, too. Still never been able to work out why I see far more Skylines on track days than Supras... :(

So.... how come you're building a GTS and not a Supra then? :)

Still never been able to work out why I see far more Skylines on track days than Supras... :(

Because they are common ;)

You said last year that the Skyline would be ready for this year's Llandow. :p What still needs doing? Can we have an event at yours to come and help you finish it, I'm sure we can all wok to the same standard as you... or maybe not.

Steve I'll Be up For llandow At Any Time.

:thumbs:

I'm up for a Llandow event again, loved every second and really can't wait to get back.

Paul, I can understand where you are coming from I really can, and mabye you should post something up about organising a day on a different track, but personally I can't be part of it.

As Steve said it is the extra £££'s that would put me off. Not only is it the £70 for Llandow but also the travelodge, petrol, food, drink, tires and everything else I had to sort before I went down.

Now I know I don't earn as much as 90% of the people on here so when I say Llandow pushed my budget I don't expect many to share my view.

However even if I did have the extra money I still loved the little track, i'm a complete novice so my ability was tested even on this track.

Plus my car is still limited so don't see the point of going on a bigger track at the moment anyway, lol.

Cannot wait for another Llandow event, definately up for next year however don't think i'll quite be able to afford september if it is them. However let me know anyway and i'll see if it's possible!

Because they are common ;)

You said last year that the Skyline would be ready for this year's Llandow. :p What still needs doing? Can we have an event at yours to come and help you finish it, I'm sure we can all wok to the same standard as you... or maybe not.

:thumbs:

I don't want the last bits of work making the earlier stuff look shoddy, so I decline the kind gentleman's offer, with thanks :)

The sequential box needs a support bracket making, the propshaft needs making and balancing, the gear lever assembly needs fitting with some fabrication involved, and the engine needs mapping. Not a huge amount, but I have to also earn a living and keep this place in check as well. As for the Toyota engined Zeus, all the engine bits are made and here, they just want assembling, and an ecu loom making and fitting, together with a fuel and intercooler set up. a bit more time needed for this one :(