jevansio

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jay

dont know exactly how far you want to go with this but i ditched the small junction box and its associated cables on the left hand side of the engine bay into the inner wing (see pic), i extended the starter motor cable under the body so its all tucked out of the way, your engine looks great fella :D

car 005.jpg

Cheers guys,

Paul, it's something I may do when the car is running again, I'm planning on making a cold air box for that area though so not sure how much of a difference moving the fusebox will do, it may be un-noticable once the airbox is in place

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to keep the photo updates short as not a lot has changed.

The last week I have been finishing up all the wiring. All looms are extended where needed, & all stuff has been moved into the passenger footwell.

It looks like a bit of a rats nest, but there are lot of wires coming and going and everyone has now been soldered & heatshrunk so it's all good :), so we've now got, AEM, Resistor Pack, Ignitor Pack, HKS DLI in there. I also made a strap for the AEM as it was pretty much held in place by the carpet before.

attachment.php?attachmentid=97350&d=1250961103

Next box of tricks was made for my by a guy at work, it's a timer & puts out a delayed 12v. I've got it coming off the ignition and then triggering my electric fans. This was because I've gone to a Varley RedTop 25 and I wanted to give the engine as much chance as possible of starting without anything big sucking power.

attachment.php?attachmentid=97351&d=1250961103

attachment.php?attachmentid=97352&d=1250961103

Finally everything before I put the carpet back:

attachment.php?attachmentid=97353&d=1250961103

Also, not technically engine bay, but I cleaned up my suspension area, still haven't put the front inner guards on and the discs are rusted up from being sat but it gives you the idea. I just used gunk on all the suspension arms etc & agitated it with a wire brush.

attachment.php?attachmentid=97354&d=1250961103

attachment.php?attachmentid=97355&d=1250961103

I've done a whole lot of small stuff too (which I won't bore you with), but suffice to say when the car is back together I will be happy with every last bit of it (something which I've been unable to say to this day) :)

Img_4157.jpg

Img_4158.jpg

Img_4161.jpg

Img_4163.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

Cheers bud,

Yeah, same black, same kit, will prolly de-wiper & de-aerial (seeing as I have no stereo), get all the little dings fixed. I'm going to stick with the carbon for the minute, but that's not to say when I'm sick of it I'll get all the carbon bits done black (inc the diffuser :))

PS the car normally looks good from a distance, but those close-ups show how badly the paintwork is in need of some TLC

Looking good. I'd like to see you neaten up the electrics in the foot well next as I'm sure you'll make it look amazing!

Some conduit would do it easy, but TBH I'm going to leave it, with conduit you would feel bumps through the carpet, without wires flatten out & the carpet is a lot smoother

Some conduit would do it easy, but TBH I'm going to leave it, with conduit you would feel bumps through the carpet, without wires flatten out & the carpet is a lot smoother

The only problem I have with that, is that if you can feel the bumps through the carpet then you're putting your feet on the cables, which means that eventually they'll wear through. If you're not using conduit then you should use something to protect the cables. Fires are not cool ;)

The only problem I have with that, is that if you can feel the bumps through the carpet then you're putting your feet on the cables, which means that eventually they'll wear through. If you're not using conduit then you should use something to protect the cables. Fires are not cool ;)

Without conduit the wires fit nicely between the boxes (so the only thing you feel are the electronic boxes), with conduit they won't fit therefore you can feel them.

TBH the amount of time people are in my passenger seat it would takle 500 years for the wire to rub through it's shielding, plus I got a fire extinguisher :D

If anything I'll refit that plastic cover, the amount of wires in that area is hard to conduit

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

PS Mark, I took your advice & fitted a fuse near the battery. Came in usefull too, when I fitted my new battery I flipped it round so +ve & -ve were the other side, but I was on autopilot when connecting it up & but + to -, big crack & flash :D, fuse popped but no damage done :D

PS Mark, I took your advice & fitted a fuse near the battery. Came in usefull too, when I fitted my new battery I flipped it round so +ve & -ve were the other side, but I was on autopilot when connecting it up & but + to -, big crack & flash :D, fuse popped but no damage done :D

School boy error Jay :D Lucky nothing was damaged!

Good man. Bet you were pleased you only needed to replace the fuse. I'll pm you my paypal address ;)

Here's an idea. Why not create a very thin panel to flush mount all the electronics. That way no lumps and no visual evidence of wires? I'm still worried a cable will work it's way under one of the boxes and then sit rubbing under there. Maybe get a very thin rubber mat and mount all the electronics on that to act as a shield between the car body and the wires?

Good man. Bet you were pleased you only needed to replace the fuse. I'll pm you my paypal address ;)

Here's an idea. Why not create a very thin panel to flush mount all the electronics. That way no lumps and no visual evidence of wires? I'm still worried a cable will work it's way under one of the boxes and then sit rubbing under there. Maybe get a very thin rubber mat and mount all the electronics on that to act as a shield between the car body and the wires?

:D,

I'll sort something out Mark, I have the old ecu protector panel, I will make a protector plate out of that :)